*Poll*: Fav name to get to nn Allie?

See the results of this poll: Fav name to get to nn Allie, to go with Claudia, Penelope and Mirabelle

Respondents: 70 (This poll is closed)

• Ailis: 7 (10%)
  • Alair/Allaire: 5 (7%)
  • Alaw: 0 (0%)
  • Alcine: 0 (0%)
  • Aldith: 3 (4%)
  • Aliese/Alais/Alize: 9 (13%)
  • Aline: 9 (13%)
  • Alivette: 3 (4%)
  • Alwen: 7 (10%)
  • Anneliese: 27 (39%)

[name]Do[/name] you want the beginning of the name to be [name]Al[/name]? Or would you just want al to appear in the name somewhere? Sorry if I suggest names that are already on your list, or names that you have previously vetoed.
[name]Claudia[/name], [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] and

[name]Adaline[/name]/ [name]Adalyn[/name]
Alarice
[name]Alice[/name]
Alcine
[name]Alette[/name]
[name]Alexandrine[/name]
[name]Alexis[/name]
Alke
[name]Allison[/name]
Aloise/ [name]Aloyse[/name]
Amaline
[name]Callisto[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name]
Dallane/ [name]Dallin[/name]
[name]Fallon[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Sheila[/name],

I’m basically looking for any name that can have the nick name [name]Allie[/name] without it being too much of a stretch! My favs are probably [name]Allegra[/name], [name]Alma[/name], [name]Alia[/name] and [name]Alina[/name] but all end with the same sound as [name]Claudia[/name] so I was trying to find a name with a different ending. I may have to stop being so fussy and just use one of the above names though!

I like [name]Adeline[/name] but I think it would always get shortened to [name]Addie[/name]. I’ve considered Alarice and Alcine but couldn’t make my mind up about them, what do you think? I adore [name]Alice[/name] but it’s just too popular in the UK. I don’t really like [name]Alette[/name], [name]Alexandrine[/name], [name]Alexis[/name] or [name]Allison[/name]. Alke is interesting but how is it pronounced? I feel like it would either have the same ending as [name]Claudia[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name] and I worry about ‘alcoholic’ teasing! I adore Aloise but my partner has vetoed it due to a bad assocation :frowning: It’s a shame because I think it goes perfectly with my other names! I think [name]Callisto[/name], [name]Calypso[/name], [name]Fallon[/name] and Dallane are a little too much of a stretch for the nn [name]Allie[/name] and also aren’t really my style. Amaline is gorgeous but again I think it’s too much of a stretch for the nn [name]Allie[/name]. What do you think? Maybe it’s more possible though as it does at least start with an A?

Opinions on the names in my list would be great too!

[name]Hi[/name], I voted for [name]Aline[/name], because my first thought was [name]Alina[/name] :!:, before I read your whole post. I love [name]Alina[/name]!

Personally, I love Amaline. I think it goes really well with your other options. It’s beautiful, different but not weird, and can have a variation of nicknames. For me, nicknames can be anything. I mean, look at [name]Margaret[/name]'s diminutives: [name]Peggy[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Megan[/name], [name]Gretchen[/name], etc. My [name]Grace[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] is called by her usual [name]Gracie[/name], but she’s also called [name]Gray[/name], [name]Ace[/name], [name]Rae[/name], [name]Pat[/name], [name]Patty[/name], [name]Patsy[/name], [name]Trixie[/name], [name]Cia[/name], etc. For Amaline, I would consider [name]Amy[/name], [name]Ama[/name], [name]Alma[/name], [name]Mallie[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Allie[/name], [name]Alla[/name], [name]Linnie[/name], [name]Lili[/name], [name]Nel[/name], [name]Nellie[/name], etc. to be nicknames. However, some people do not share my enthusiasm for nicknames, but If you love a nickname, but want a more formal version, anything is acceptable as long as you love it. I understand your apprehension, I used to feel the same way. But if you love a name, and it fits your criteria, it doesn’t really matter if you have to move around a few letters to get the nickname you love out of it. Go with what you love, and you will never regret it.

Oh, and Alke is pronounced Ahl-keh, not [name]Al[/name]-key. But mispronunciation could lead to teasing, but I still think it’s a beautiful and spunky name.

Okay, now I’ll critique your list!
I voted for Aliese (prefer this spelling), Alwen, and [name]Anneliese[/name]. I think you have some great names listed and I was sorry I could only pick three options!

[name]Ailis[/name]- Very pretty. It reminds me of [name]Alice[/name], but with a little more flair. However, I think it pales in comparison to your other selections of [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Mirabelle[/name], and [name]Penelope[/name].

[name]Alair[/name]/[name]Allaire[/name]- I prefer [name]Allaire[/name] because [name]Alair[/name] reminds me of [name]Alastair[/name] (a great name, but very masculine). I think [name]Allaire[/name] would be right at home next to C,M and P and [name]Allie[/name] is a perfect nickname!

Alaw- I don’t like it as much. It kind of reminds me of claw and I don’t really see Alaw as a sister to C,M and P.

Alcine- I really like it. For some reason it reminds me of the ocean, which is a good association for me.

Aldith- I prefer [name]Edith[/name], but I can really see the appeal. However, C,M and P all have more girly name, [name]IMO[/name], and Aldith doesn’t seem as girly.

Aliese/Alais/[name]Alize[/name]- A great way to use [name]Alice[/name] without adding to its popularity. Aliese makes me think of a little princess in a forest- very cute. I think it can age well, and fits perfectly with your other names!

[name]Aline[/name]- I had a very dear friend named [name]Aline[/name]. It’s a great name, but again, I don’t think it fits with C,M and P.

Alivette- My mother went to a university called [name]Olivet[/name]. Alivette is very pretty, but it seems like a trendy way to get [name]Olivet[/name]. I think it would be okay with the others, but lacks the sophisticated appeal that they have.

Alwen- I think Alwen is a great name. I don’t think it’s as good a match as some of the others, but I do like it (and the adorable [name]Wendy[/name] nn option!)

[name]Anneliese[/name]- To me, this is perfect. Sure, it doesn’t have to most direct path to your nn of choice, but like I said before, nicknames are flexible (and I really like [name]Allie[/name] for [name]Anneliese[/name]- it catches me offguard, but in a great way). [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Anneliese[/name]= Perfection!

My picks (in order)- [name]Anneliese[/name], Aliese, Alwen, [name]Allaire[/name], Alcine. I really hope this helps!

Aliese/Alais/[name]Alize[/name] - Not familiar with any of these, but I’d expect to say them all differently (al-ees or al-eez-uh if it’s [name]German[/name] / al-eye-ees or ahl-eye-ees? / al-eez).

My favorite way to get to [name]Allie[/name] is [name]Ali[/name]”nor/[name]Alienor[/name]/[name]Alyenor[/name] (I think these are ah-lee-[long A]-nor / a-lee-uh-nor / al-yuh-nor respectively.)

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response! I love Amaline and had never heard of it before so thanks for the suggestion! I think it’s top of my list at the moment and you make a good point about nn’s like my grandad [name]William[/name] who goes by [name]Bill[/name]. I guess Amaline nn [name]Allie[/name] could work!

Thanks for your critique too. I think I’ll remove [name]Ailis[/name], Alaw (pronounced [name]Al[/name]-aw as in the beginning of the word ouch), Aldith and Alivette based on your response and also Alcine as I’m just not sure about it. [name]Glad[/name] to narrow it down!

[name]Hi[/name] triplicate,

I pronunce them all slightly differently too but I could only have ten options in the poll so I sort of grouped them together as they’re similar! Which is your fav of the 3? I think I like Aliese but worry it would be confused with [name]Elise[/name], but I also like [name]Alize[/name]. I think I’ll take Alais off my list.

[name]Alienor[/name], [name]Ali[/name]”nor and [name]Alyenor[/name] are really stunning! I especially like the first too spellings but would worry about mispronunciation and ‘Alien’ teasing. What do you think? They really are the kind of name I’m looking for though! What origin are they? Are they French? I assume they’re some variation of [name]Eleanor[/name] but correct me if I’m wrong!

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

My trouble with Alais is that I assume it’s said like [name]Anais[/name] with an L, and I’m not sure how to pronounce [name]Anais[/name]. I’ve heard so many mispronunciations. Or, even if it’s French, if it didn’t have the I diaresis like [name]Anais[/name], wouldn’t it be Alay, like [name]Calais[/name] without the C?

They really are the kind of name I’m looking for though! What origin are they? Are they French? I assume they’re some variation of Eleanor but correct me if I’m wrong!

[name]Just[/name] as [name]Joan[/name] of [name]Arc[/name] is [name]Jeanne[/name] d’[name]Arc[/name], [name]Ali[/name]”nor was the real name of [name]Eleanor[/name] of [name]Aquitaine[/name]. The other two appear to be simplifications for English speakers.

I voted for [name]Anneliese[/name] with the nickname [name]Allie[/name]! It’s such a stunning, sweet, and soft name, and I think its goes lovely with [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], and [name]Mirabelle[/name]. I really like those three names, too, by the way! I think they are stunning, sweet, and soft just like [name]Anneliese[/name]. And I really like [name]Allie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Anneliese[/name]. Cute, cute, cute!

[name]Just[/name] out of curiosity, how are you choosing to pronounce [name]Anneliese[/name]? [name]Ann[/name]-a-leese or On-a-leez-uh? [name]Both[/name] are beautiful pronunciations in my opinion, though I think that [name]Allie[/name] makes more sense as a nickname for [name]Anneliese[/name] when it is pronounced [name]Ann[/name]-a-lease. Still, even if you are pronouncing [name]Anneliese[/name] like on-a-leez-uh, I think [name]Allie[/name] could work just fine. After all, she’ll be your child: nickname her whatever you’d like! :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you!

~*~Nameseeker3

Thank you! I just wonder if people would automatically shorten it to [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Annie[/name]? I pronnounce it [name]Ann[/name]-a-lease. Unfortunatley last time I asked my partner about this name he crinkled his nose up! Lol. Strange as he used to love [name]Annelie[/name]…maybe I’ll have to work on him some more with this name! Lol.

I’ve wondered that, too about [name]Anneliese[/name]-if people would automatically shorten it to [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Annie[/name]. However, I think that when you introduce your future daughter to people, you could just tell them outright that her name is [name]Anneliese[/name], and she’s called [name]Allie[/name] for short. Also, when your future daughter becomes old enough to introduce herself to people, she could just tell them outright that her nickname is [name]Allie[/name]… “[name]Hi[/name], my name is [name]Anneliese[/name], and I’m called [name]Allie[/name] for short/as my nickname.” Then I think people would call her [name]Allie[/name], or at least be more inclined to…

Good luck with convincing your partner to get on board with [name]Anneliese[/name]! I hope he changes his mind about it. It’s such a beautiful name, and I, too, am surprised he doesn’t like it considering he’s liked [name]Annelie[/name] in the past…hmmm.

Best wishes to you!

~*~Nameseeker3

[name]Aliki[/name]

[name]Anneliese[/name] is my favorite name on your list but I think the best way to get to [name]Allie[/name] is Alwen. It’s just so much more intuitive to either get the nn from the first sound or from something altogether unrelated.

Good luck!

I voted for Alivette, though I admit I think I prefer Alianore like the pp suggested :). I’m not sure if you’re looking for suggestions or not but I love the nn [name]Allie[/name] and thought I’d share some of my favorites…

Allifair
Amalys
[name]Aliz[/name]”/[name]Alizeh[/name]
[name]Ayelet[/name]
[name]Briallen[/name]
[name]Faline[/name]
[name]Madelaine[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name]
[name]Ottaline[/name]
[name]Rosaleen[/name]/[name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Valentine[/name]

Obviously some of these are a bit of a stretch, but I figure more options couldn’t hurt :slight_smile: