(Poll) How do you pronounce Quentin?

How do you pronounce the name [name_u]Quentin[/name_u]?

• QUINN-tin
  • KWEN-tin
  • The two above choices sound the same to me
  • Other

0 voters

Quinn tun

I’ve only known Quentins pronounced [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]-tin!

I say KWEN-tin. I think of the illustrator [name_u]Quentin[/name_u] [name_u]Blake[/name_u], particularly known in association with [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl.

I pronounce [name_u]Quentin[/name_u] as Kwen-tin, I’ve also met a [name_m]Quinton[/name_m] pronounced [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]-ton.

I say kwen-tin. I’d only say quinn-tin if it was spelled [name_m]Quintin[/name_m].

Kwen-tin. I’ve never heard [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]-tin before.

I’m not sure if this is an accent thing, but I’ve always pronounced it the same as [name_m]Quinton[/name_m].

1 Like

Same! I’ve seen so many slight variations on spelling for this name ([name_u]Quentin[/name_u], [name_m]Quinton[/name_m], [name_m]Quenton[/name_m], [name_m]Quintin[/name_m], etc) that I’m not even sure what’s the right one anymore lol. I just say all of them like quinn-ten. I think it’s close enough in my accent that people could interpret the quinn syllable as “kwen” if they wanted, although there is a slight difference.

1 Like

I always think “kwen” instinctively but other pronunciations wouldn’t faze me either!

Some accents have what’s called the “pin/pen merger” - for them, “quinn” and “kwen” would sound pretty much the same. [name_f]My[/name_f] accent does not have that feature at all, they’re VERY distinct for me. I would say “Kwen-tin”

Is this pronunciation from dictionary correct?

I love the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation How to pronounce Quentin  (French/France) - PronounceNames.com - YouTube