Poll: How would you pronounce Cormac?

I pronounce it cor-MAC (southern US)

1 Like

CORE-mic (Western US)

I pronounce it like McCormick without the Mc!

1 Like

core-mack with the c sounding like a strong ‘k’ + strong ‘mack’ sound (I’m from [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand)
Never knew there was any other way to pronounce it!

1 Like

Thanks! I think however the [name_u]Irish[/name_u] say it must be the definitive way.

Thanks, [name_f]Tasia[/name_f]. I forgot to include that option in the poll, but I’m realizing now that a lot of people say it that way.

1 Like

Haha, I think I have the same influence, which is probably part of my confusion! It’s valuable to know what people will picture when they hear the name for the first time, and I don’t know if the spice aisle at the grocery store is what I’m going for… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Me too and I’m not sure if it’s the seasoning brand’s fault that I’m confused, haha.

Thanks for your help, everybody! I think the [name_u]Irish[/name_u] way (Cor-mac, like it’s spelled) must be the “real” way, though it’s sort of awkward to say it that way in my accent. I still love the name, but I think the variation in pronunciation across American commenters might make it a deal breaker for me (I’m American). The little nagging feeling that I was pronouncing my own child’s name wrong would drive me crazy, plus it would be a drag for him to have to correct people’s pronunciation all the time when it’s sort of an accent thing anyway. I appreciate everyone’s input!

4 Likes

Cor-Mac

Northeastern US (Ohio)

I say cor-MAC, but because my only point of reference is [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] McLaggen from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] haha! I think a softer -mac or even a -mick/-muhk sound more natural here in the US though

[name_m]Mountain[/name_m] [name_u]West[/name_u] US