*POLL* Maisie vs Avalon vs Swayze vs Kai

See the results of this poll: Which do you like… if any?

Respondents: 27 (This poll is closed)

• Maisie: 11 (41%)
  • Avalon: 13 (48%)
  • Kai: 0 (0%)
  • Swayze: 3 (11%)

My first instinct was to vote for [name]Maisie[/name], but if you’re ok with modern names and you both love [name]Avi[/name] I would say [name]Avalon[/name] is the best fit. Some other names that could give you the nn [name]Avi[/name] (just thought I’d suggest a few…)

Avalie
[name]Aveline[/name]
Aven (a friend just named their child this…)
Avena
[name]Aviva[/name]
Avonlea
[name]Avery[/name]

Good luck!

Well, Swayze screams [name]Patrick[/name] at me so that’s prob not what you want for your little girl. [name]Kai[/name] is a boys name - have you considered [name]Kaia[/name]? [name]Avalon[/name] is unusual but workable esp with the nn [name]Avi[/name] which you both love. I like [name]Maisie[/name] but as a nickname for [name]Mairead[/name].

We both really like Avalie or [name]Aveline[/name]. Thank you!

I voted for [name]Maisie[/name] cause I think its a cute name… kinda takes the M from [name]McKinley[/name] and the ayze from Swayze - the best of both!

[name]Avalon[/name] would be my second choice. I guess it just depends on your style. [name]Do[/name] you want a fun, spunky sweet name like [name]Maisie[/name]… or a regal, elegant but a bit off-beat name like [name]Avalon[/name]? Hmm…

I also thought of [name]Avril[/name] nn [name]Avi[/name]. Pretty cute.
I have a friend named Aviane nn [name]Avi[/name]. It makes me think of Avian - and birds. Maybe if you are into birds this would be a good name for you =p

Since you are big into skiing as you said in your other post some other names you might consider:
[name]Neve[/name]/[name]Neva[/name] (latin for snow)
Lumi (finnish for snow)
Pyry (finnish for snowstorm/blizzard)
[name]Eira[/name] (Welsh for snow)
[name]Helen[/name] (mt. st. helens)
[name]Olympia[/name] (mt. olympus)
[name]Everest[/name] (Mt. [name]Everest[/name])
[name]Marcy[/name] (mt. marcy)
[name]Keira[/name] (it sounds like [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Eira[/name] – also the name of a mountain in Australia?)
[name]Kaia[/name] (another alternative to [name]Kai[/name]. I really like the name [name]Kai[/name] and it was my #1 choice when I was in high school for a girl but my style has changed a bit since then. I still have a soft spot for the name, so I would have your back if you choose [name]Kai[/name]!!! lol =D)
[name]Loa[/name] (as in Mauna [name]Loa[/name])
Alpa (as in alps)
[name]Alta[/name] (as in altitude and spanish for tall!)
[name]Shasta[/name] (too close to home? lol)
[name]Sierra[/name] (too close?)

some names of Mountain passes I looked up that sound quite cute:
Gemmi
[name]Imogene[/name]
[name]Lolo[/name]
[name]Sonora[/name]

Name of the mountain I broke my wrist on in [name]Italy[/name]: [name]Cortina[/name] (a bit girly… lol)

[name]Lilou[/name]!

I love [name]Avalon[/name] and [name]Maisie[/name] – it was hard to choose! I think [name]Avalon[/name] nn [name]Avi[/name] might age a little better, I think its a great name!

Swayze - Absolute no. Sorry. It just gives an instant image of [name]Patrick[/name] Swayze, and if your child is a girl… It just isn’t a great label for a girl to have the famous name of a man. And what if she doesn’t like [name]Patrick[/name] Swayze?
[name]Kai[/name] - This is a boys’ name. I really wouldn’t use it.
[name]Avalon[/name] - This is okay, but not my style. It seems very trashy to me, to be honest. It looks like a name that’s trying too hard to sound cool.
[name]Maisie[/name] - I love this name! It’s so cute and lovable, and there are no negative associations that I know of. Honestly, I think you’d be doing your daughter a favor by naming her [name]Maisie[/name], even if your town does accept more outlandish names.

I voted for [name]Maisie[/name], but I also wanted to put in a good word for [name]Kai[/name]. My dd is [name]Kaia[/name] nn [name]Kai[/name] and I [name]LOVE[/name] it :slight_smile:

I voted for [name]Avalon[/name], although i prefer [name]Aveline[/name] (prn Av-uh-leen) as it is a little softer.

I know both boys and girls named [name]Kai[/name], and I think it works for either gender. However, if you use [name]Kai[/name], I would strongly suggest a middle name with more than one syllable. Something like [name]Kai[/name] [name]Araminta[/name], if you’re going for quirky.

[name]Maisie[/name] is adorable, but I don’t really think it should be the name on someone’s birth certificate. What if your daughter grows up to be a business woman or a judge? It would be hard enough for her to gain respect in a male-dominated field without having to overcome the additional hurdle of having a “cutsie” name. Some names you could use to get to the nickname [name]Maisie[/name] (besides the obvious [name]Margaret[/name], which I don’t think would be your style): [name]Maeve[/name], Mahea (Mah-HEY-ah), [name]Margot[/name] (it’s a stretch, but I think it works), or simply [name]May[/name]. I’d also consider [name]Mesa[/name] as an alternative to [name]Maisie[/name].

I think [name]Avalon[/name] could work, but I prefer some of the alternatives people have suggested for it.

And I agree that Swayze is too associated with [name]Patrick[/name].