Poll - Name for baby girl due Christmas Day

Just that. Think I’ve whittled down to two options.

For context, Eve is my longest standing favourite. I adore its simplicity, its pleasing palindrome symmetry, its versatility (suits all ages, no indication as to socio-economic background, suits all professions), its chic brevity, its popularity ranking (not in top 100UK) and its meanings / associations. My only drawback is I’ve loved it so long I’ve bored myself with it slightly, and other options feel instantly fresher. But I can’t ignore the enduring love. The fact that it also happens to have festive associations and I’ve been prevented from using this name before for a December baby almost makes the fact that I can now use it not only for a December but an actual Christmas baby feel fortuitous. However, I’m also a bit tired of meeting people with variations on similar names - Eva, Ava, evie etc, and almost feel a bit jaded.

Eilona is a recent love but I’ve fallen hard. When I first came across the name recently I thought that’s the one. It combines the sounds / feel of some wildly beautiful Gaelic names I love (Scots and Irish heritage) - Eila / Isla and Iona, but without the popularity drawback of Isla and without being named directly after an island. Yet its also Norse (also heritage) which is another box ticked off in one neat package, freeing up my 2 middle names to tick other boxes. I love that it’s unfamiliar yet pronunciation is intuitive, and baby will probably never meet another. The nature / sylvan meaning of oak tree is just the cherry on top. Ultimately, I just don’t feel like I should ignore my gut reaction, and the uniqueness really appeals.

Help!

• Eve
  • Eilona

0 voters

I prefer [name_f]Eve[/name_f] as Eliona just isn’t my personal taste. However, I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] Eliona or Eliona [name_f]Eve[/name_f] would be great combos if you want to use both!

I also think using both names with a third could help, like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] Eliona [name_f]Grace[/name_f] or Eliona [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] (very [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] themed here but just to illustrate the point).

1 Like

I think going with your longest love is always a great option! This is a name you’ll have to say and be exposed to all the time — I feel like with [name_f]Eve[/name_f], you’ll never truly get tired of it. It might feel a bit fresher once attached to your child as well!

[name_f]Eilona[/name_f] is also beautiful, though. Maybe a good middle name option?

3 Likes

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]! :evergreen_tree::dove:
Oh sweet, beautiful, charm-bucket of a name! I adore [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. Feels incredibly jovial and bright, packaged so nicely into a familiar, special bundle. Plus, I think it’s so cool that it’s a palindrome. :wink:

2 Likes

In theory, I like both. But with context, [name_f]Eve[/name_f] wins by a landslide for me. I love the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] connection for your [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby. And since it’s your long standing love, I think you might regret if you never use it. When we were trying to name my son I was in a very similar position - torn between my long term favorite and a new love, trying to figure out if I actually still loved the old name or just default to it because it’s always been the go-to. After much deliberation, we chose to use our long time love, and now I’m so glad we did. With the added bonus of the holiday connection, I really think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is the perfect choice for you.

1 Like

Tough choice, but I think I like the distinct feel and bright sound of [name_f]Eilona[/name_f]!

2 Likes

I would go with [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went through the same thing! (Had a long-time love name for a baby girl, but fell in love with a new name when I was pregnant.) We chose to use the new name and I still absolutely love it and feel it suits her perfectly. [name_f]My[/name_f] only regret is not using my old favorite as a middle. Would [name_f]Eilona[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] be too matchy?

2 Likes

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]! It feels classic, sophisticated, it’s a stand out for sure. I hear so many Eliana/Elaina/Alaina/Ellie names that they all sort of blend together. [name_f]Eve[/name_f] also has the lovely [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] association which is a bonus for a [name_u]December[/name_u] baby.

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] is great! Loved it always.

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]! I’m not quite sure how to pronounce [name_f]Eilona[/name_f]— I’m saying it EE-lo-na and first read it as
EL-ee-o-na. I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] feels very Christmassy and classic. I also love the combos [name_f]Eilona[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Eilona[/name_f]! :christmas_tree:

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] is so classically beautiful! And ideal for a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby.
To be honest, I’m not actually certain how to pronounce Eilona… is it ee-lo-na, or ay-lo-na? Personally, I’d probably be more inclined toward the spellings [name_f]Ilona[/name_f] or [name_f]Elona[/name_f], to avoid confusion.
And I do agree with others that you could definitely double up on these two names: [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Eilona[/name_f] is particularly lovely! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely - [name_f]Eve[/name_f] will definitely be used whether as first or middle. And defs 2 middles :blush:

I’m really drawn to it, and the hippy in me doesn’t feel like that should be ignored. It was an instant gut thing. I mean, why would I still be looking if I was 100% happy with [name_f]Eve[/name_f]?

1 Like

Thankyou for your input, always useful to hear from someone who had the same dilemma. I don’t think both would be too matchy, personally… [name_f]Eve[/name_f] will definitely be used, one way or another. I’d also like 2 middles names :blush:

See, I don’t think [name_f]Eilona[/name_f] sits with those other names you’ve mentioned. It has a completely different sound - Gaelic sounding (though is not Gaelic in origin) and unfrilly.

[name_f]Eilona[/name_f] is prn Eye-loh-na. Eil - like the start of [name_f]Eileen[/name_f].

1 Like

Neither, it’s eye-loh-na, Eil - Sharing the same start / spelling as [name_f]Eileen[/name_f], + loh-na. I wouldn’t spell it [name_f]Ilona[/name_f] or [name_f]Elona[/name_f] as those are different names with diff. pronunciations. Thanks, I think both together in whichever combo sound nice.

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], okay! Now that you mentioned [name_f]Eileen[/name_f], that completely makes sense. Entirely new name for me, but definitely pretty! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thankyou. [name_f]Eve[/name_f] will definitely be used, it’s just a case of whether it’s in the first position or a middle. [name_f]My[/name_f] bugbear is, I’m always hearing variations of it in my area - [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], and while in my opinion simple, classic [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is the original and best and not overly popular in its own right, her name will become lost in a sea of similar.