Poll: Tobias VS Tobiah

I’m torn between two versions of this name! To be honest I never really liked [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] - I think it’s the “s” ending. But then recently I saw [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] and suddenly I was in love! But it’s not as common and so now I’m reconsidering [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] which still gets me the cute nickname [name_u]Toby[/name_u]/Tobey.

(Sibs are [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] [Solomon] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f].)

What do you think? Is [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] too unfamiliar? Which would you choose?

Feel free to mention why in the comments!

Poll: [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] VS [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]
  • Tobias
  • Tobiah

0 voters

Tobiah is just too unfamiliar to get my vote - I think the “uh” ending makes it feel overly outdated (think [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m]). [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], on the other hand, is a traditional, underused, fits-all-ages, handsome name. Goes beautifully with sibs’ adorable names, too!

2 Likes

I actually like both. [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] isn’t unfamiliar to me. I have a [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and we could have gone with [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] or [name_m]Zacharias[/name_m]. If you love [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] then go for it.

I prefer the stronger, more complete sound of [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]. I also think it sounds more solid and classic and so complements your children’s names a little better.

1 Like

I much prefer [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] for the same reason as you- the S sounds so harsh.

I also wouldn’t recommend using a name you don’t love to get a nickname. People have suggested that I use [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] rather than the [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] on my list but honestly I love [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] and I’m just okay with [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] so if we have a DS, he’ll just be [name_u]Alfie[/name_u].

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] over [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m], but I voted for [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] because it seems like you love it far more than [name_m]Tobias[/name_m].

1 Like

If it’s [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] you love, I’d go with that. While it’s less familiar, it’s similarity to [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] makes it fairly easy to wear

4 Likes

I slightly prefer [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but it sounds like [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] is more your taste, so I voted for that!

2 Likes

You can still get the [name_u]Tobi[/name_u]/Toby/Tobie nickname from [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m], which you seem to prefer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ditto [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (@greyblue) & [name_f]Nora[/name_f] (@almostactually). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would usually pick [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but it seems like you prefer the sound of [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m], which I think is equally as handsome and not old fashioned sounding at all! [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m], [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], etc are trending so why not [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]?

2 Likes

I think it depends how you’re pronouncing it:
I LOVE toe-bee-us
I hate toe-buy-us
and I like toe-buy-uh but it feels a little feminine to me even though it is a male name

so depending on which way you pronounce [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] would affect my suggestion of [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] or [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] as a first name bc it’s more recognizable and I think it won’t be as confusing. I love [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] as a middle just because you can be a little more free with middles. However, I definitely think [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] is usable as a first and goes so well with your others kids’ names. [name_u]Toby[/name_u]/Tobey is still usable with [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] (we used it for our second son!) and didn’t seriously consider [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]; not because it’s less familiar, but because a) [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] sounds more complete to me with the S, and I like the sound, and b) because the [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] in the Bible, in the book of [name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m], is kind of a bad guy. I know it’s really the same name so doesn’t make that much difference, but using a slightly different form made me feel better :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: There’s also a Tobijah or two, one in the book of [name_m]Zephaniah[/name_m].
All that said, if it’s [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] you love, use [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]! Seems to me it should be wearable since [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is familiar and so are other -iah names.

1 Like