POLL: We think we've narrowed it down to two...

See the results of this poll: What should we name our son?

Respondents: 55 (This poll is closed)

• Finn Eliot: 46 (84%)
  • Kai Leo: 9 (16%)

I really like all four names! I think I would actually prefer your combos reversed, though - with [name]Eliot[/name] or [name]Leo[/name] in the first name slot and [name]Finn[/name] or [name]Kai[/name] as middles. I like [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Kai[/name], but I just think they both sound a bit brief and informal and I worry that they might not age well. As middles, though, they’re fun and spunky and provide great “nicknames” to go by when he’s little. [name]Eliot[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] are wonderful names for a young boy or a grown man and I think would serve him well. My preference between the two would be [name]Eliot[/name] because I just think it’s such a handsome and charming name, and also because [name]Leo[/name] can be a nn for [name]Eliot[/name] so it’s sort of the best of both worlds - you would get the choice of calling him three out of your four names! (Of course, [name]Eliot[/name] is longer than [name]Leo[/name] if that is a major concern). I love [name]Eliot[/name] [name]Finn[/name] best (to go by [name]Eliot[/name], [name]Leo[/name], or [name]Finn[/name]), but [name]Eliot[/name] [name]Kai[/name] flows equally well.

I really don’t like short names ,but, I understand the long last name. I like [name]Finn[/name] [name]Eliot[/name] a little better than [name]Kai[/name] [name]Leo[/name]. But I like [name]Eliot[/name] [name]Finn[/name] a little better, I think it flows better.

I voted for [name]Finn[/name] [name]Eliot[/name]. Like the pp mentioned, I think [name]Eliot[/name] [name]Finn[/name] would flow much better.

[name]Don[/name]'t like the name [name]Kai[/name] at all. [name]Finn[/name] [name]Eliot[/name] gets my vote.

[name]Kai[/name] leo sounds like [name]Kylee[/name] O so I would either change it to [name]Kai[/name] [name]Eliot[/name], come up with a new middle name for [name]Kai[/name] or name him [name]Finn[/name] [name]Eliot[/name].

[name]Finn[/name] [name]Eliot[/name]. Definitely.

• Anon.

I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] both names :slight_smile:
But I voted for [name]Kai[/name] [name]Leo[/name], I think its beautiful :slight_smile:

Not sure how you are pronouncing [name]Kai[/name] [name]Leo[/name], but friendly word of warning, there is a rare breed of dog called Kyi-[name]Leo[/name]. It is pronounced [name]Ki[/name] (hard "i) lee (hard “e”) oh (hard “o”). It’s an adorable dog, but nothing I’d want to name a child after. Yours might be pronounced [name]Kay[/name] [name]Leo[/name], which would make a difference. And it is a rare breed. Your son might never meet anyone who has heard of this dog.
But I still like [name]Finn[/name] better.

We definitely didn’t know that! Thanks for pointing that out. I had already worried about the names running together (as a few other posters have pointed out) and this is another strike against that combination.

We considered both [name]Eliot[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] has first names, but a friend has named her child [name]Leo[/name] (and we don’t want to step on toes by using it as a first name) and we’re a little worried that [name]Eliot[/name] will get shortened to “[name]Eli[/name]” – which to me sounds like the girl’s name “[name]Ellie[/name]”. Any thoughts on whether our son is likely to be called “[name]Eli[/name]” if we use “[name]Eliot[/name]” or “[name]Elliot[/name]” as his first name?

Thanks to all who have posted so far!

Oh, and I suppose the other question is – does anyone have ideas about middle names that go with [name]Kai[/name] – if we were to stick with that name as a first name but choose a different middle name. At one point we had thought of [name]Kai[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name]…

The [name]Elliot[/name] I grew up with mainly went by [name]Elliot[/name]. His friends often called him simply “[name]El[/name]”, but I don’t remember anyone calling him [name]Eli[/name]. I think [name]Elliot[/name] is a great name, and will sound less trendy than [name]Finn[/name] in the long run (though I do like [name]Finn[/name] as well).

[name]Kai[/name] is a great name too. [name]Kai[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name] is very handsome. I also like:

[name]Kai[/name] [name]Leopold[/name] (if you love [name]Leo[/name] but want to avoid the dog breed issue)
[name]Kai[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] [name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] [name]Phineas[/name]

:slight_smile: