Poll: With name Arthur, is Archie a reasonable nickname?

See the results of this poll: With name Arthur, is Archie a reasonable nickname?

Respondents: 40 (This poll is closed)

• No; if you want an "Archie", you should name the kid Archer, Archibald, or Archie: 5 (13%)
  • Probably not a great idea; it makes you seem fussy.: 2 (5%)
  • Borderline; it’s a bit of a stretch, but I think people would accept it: 13 (33%)
  • Yes; however, I prefer the nicknames Art or Artie: 5 (13%)
  • Yes; it’s legit to me, but I prefer the full name Arthur: 6 (15%)
  • Yes; and I think it’s a good idea: 9 (23%)

I love [name]Arthur[/name] too much to consider [name]Archie[/name]. Anyway, I always think of [name]Archie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Archer[/name] or [name]Archibald[/name].

I really like the name [name]Arthur[/name].
However, [name]Archie[/name] is a perfectly legitimate nickname if you like nicknames.

I think [name]Archie[/name] is a great nn for [name]Arthur[/name]. I actually made a post about it on a different site the other day. [name]Arthur[/name] is great alone, but I think it’s good to have a more ‘modern’ sounding nn incase the child has issues with his name, especially with school and stuff.

I wouldn’t say it makes you seem fussy, I just don’t really see the point. I’m all for nicknames that are stretches, but generally those aren’t needed if the name comes with a built in nickname that sounds almost exactly like it. [name]Artie[/name] and [name]Archie[/name] sound so much alike, why not just call him [name]Artie[/name] since it makes so much more sense. But yeah, I don’t think it’s ridiculous or undoable if that’s what you want, I just feel like it adds uneccesary confusion.

Thanks so much for your responses!
indianruby, where did you post about this on another board? [name]Just[/name] curious if there were opinions there too…
lyndsayjenness, I know what you mean about not seeing the point. However, we already have a son, [name]Walter[/name], who we call [name]Walt[/name]. I think [name]Archie[/name] and [name]Walt[/name] sound a little more different from each other than [name]Artie[/name]/[name]Art[/name] and [name]Walt[/name]. So that is part of my logic. If it were just me, I’d probably just call him [name]Arthur[/name], but my husband is pretty insistent that men should have good nickname options, so that’s why I’m thinking about this.

I adore both names. Of course, I also considered both names when naming my son. It’s a bit of a stretch but in the long run, who cares? Rarely do people know what a nickname stands for. [name]How[/name] did we get [name]Peggy[/name] from [name]Margaret[/name] anyway? I say go for it!

I really like the name [name]Arthur[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though [name]Archie[/name] might be a bit of a stretch, it is very cute and will cause less grief in school…kids will definitely say ‘[name]Artie[/name] - farty’ :frowning:

Well, I think that if you named your son something like [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Charles[/name], it would be much easier to pull of [name]Archie[/name] as a nickname. But if you prefer [name]Archie[/name] over [name]Artie[/name], I think you should call him [name]Archie[/name]. It doesn’t have to be more complicated than that ; )

svea, good point. His middle name will start with a C and end in an ee sound so not too far off, but still not a Ch.