Poll!

See the results of this poll: Which name do you prefer?

Respondents: 28 (This poll is closed)

• Philippa : 12 (39%)
  • Ione (eye-OH-nee) : 9 (29%)
  • Nova: 10 (32%)

I would definitely throw out [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] if you don’t want a name that feels British, and toss around [name_f]Ione[/name_f] and [name_f]Nova[/name_f] (I prefer [name_f]Nova[/name_f], [name_f]Ione[/name_f] doesn’t look appealing, although it sounds it).

Also, if you want to create a poll, go on edit and if it edits on this page, click advanced. Then scroll down and select the poll option and follow the instructions (sorry if this makes no sense, I’m going from memory!)

Thanks, [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] for your opinion! Good to know I am not off base thinking [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is distinctly British. And I think I got the poll up now :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: Also, the poll is up now and I’ve voted!

I only think [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is British because I am and I recently heard it being used, with the [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] nickname also. It also seems very royal to me, which also doesn’t help its strong British feel.

I haven’t voted yet, just wanted to say that to me, [name_f]Nova[/name_f] basically means “new”, and for whatever reason I don’t really like it, because I think it would seem strange on an elderly lady. (I had the same reaction to [name_m]Brad[/name_m] [name_m]Pitt[/name_m] and [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] [name_f]Jolie[/name_f]'s daughter [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]'s middle name - [name_u]Nouvel[/name_u].) Also, full disclosure, I’m from Maritime [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and it quickly reminds me of the province of [name_f]Nova[/name_f] [name_f]Scotia[/name_f], which isn’t a bad association, but does feel a little less like a name to me.

Would you mind sharing your first child’s name, and/or your surname (or describe the surname if you don’t want to share it)? I ask because [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Ione[/name_f] sound really different from each other and I think context could be helpful.

Sure! My son is [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and our last name starts with V and is 3 syllables.

I have a Canadian friend who had the same reaction to [name_f]Nova[/name_f] - immediately thought of [name_f]Nova[/name_f] [name_f]Scotia[/name_f], too!

Well, I don’t think [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and [name_f]Nova[/name_f] or [name_f]Ione[/name_f] go very well together as a sibset. So, I would definitely suggest [name_f]Philippa[/name_f].

Other names like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]:

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] (nn. [name_f]Willa[/name_f])
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]

Thinking about it, [name_f]Nova[/name_f] and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] (I voted [name_f]Nova[/name_f]) don’t really go together. D’oh!

From the suggestions above, which are like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] but pull away from the British feel, I think [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] (this sp.), [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] go really well with [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m].

These names are all SO different from each other!

I was just saying on another thread that I’m starting to really like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]. I think the nn [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] is spunky and fun. I love it! Maybe even more than [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]. I think it feels very British to people in the US because of [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] Middleton. That’s not enough of an association for me personally to be swayed. However, I don’t feel a strong British pull with [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] – but I’m not very involved in that culture. Other nicknames could be [name_u]Fee[/name_u], [name_u]Fee[/name_u] [name_u]Fee[/name_u], [name_f]Pippy[/name_f], [name_m]Pip[/name_m] (pretty cute). I also think that [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] works best with [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] whereas [name_f]Ione[/name_f] and [name_f]Nova[/name_f] don’t.

I think [name_f]Nova[/name_f] is darling. It gives me a galactic vibe.

[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] sounds best to me. With [name_f]Ione[/name_f] I don’t love how the pronunciation isn’t clear, [name_f]Nova[/name_f] always has me thinking of “new” when I hear it.

Another vote for [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] here. [name_f]Ione[/name_f] is decent but way more unusual than [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], which bothers me. And I would absolutely steer clear of [name_f]Nova[/name_f] if your last name starts with V; [name_f]Nova[/name_f] V— sounds silly and buzzy and kind of like you’re starting to say “va voom.”