Poppy / Rowen ?

Hello, I hope you nameberries can help us with some decisions.

[name]Rowen[/name] can [name]Rowen[/name] work on a girl? We love it. It would be paired with a frilly girly middle name such as [name]Ella[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Calista[/name], [name]Scarlet[/name]…

[name]Poppy[/name] can she stand on her own? We find it spunky and sweet, friendly and innocent. I know adult Poppys, so it works on an adult, for us. Middle name Talluluh, [name]Harlow[/name] or [name]Ella[/name].

We also like [name]Lola[/name] but we fear that will date as the double L trend is in full force right now, plus [name]London[/name] nurseries are full of little Lolas & Rubys. We ideally want to be the only one with her name in her class, which is most parents wish I suppose. [name]Poppy[/name] isn’t unheard of her, they are scattered around but it isn’t what I would class as popular. [name]Rowen[/name] is rare, I’d never heard it on a child in my area, it is very unisex so I imagine people shy from it.

Many thanks,

P.

You certainly have different styles for your two choices: one is more strong and gender neutral and the other sweet and feminine. I like [name]Rowen[/name] for a girl but I would spell it [name]Rowan[/name]. Actress [name]Brooke[/name] Shield’s eldest daughter is [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Francis[/name]. [name]Rowan[/name] is a great unisex name which can work for both genders. [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is my fav. [name]Poppy[/name] is more common in [name]England[/name] where you live than in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]. Personally, I think of [name]Poppy[/name] more as a nickname or middle name but I love the combo of [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Harlow[/name]. Of the two, I like [name]Rowan[/name] best.

I prefer [name]Rowena[/name] to [name]Rowen[/name]. [name]Poppy[/name] is lovely!

I love [name]Rowan[/name] on a girl and I especially like [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Eliza[/name].
That said, like pp I prefer [name]Rowena[/name] which to me is spunky yet graceful. I think of a name like [name]Rowena[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] (very girly) or [name]Rowena[/name] [name]Blair[/name] (less frilly.)

I’m not the biggest fan of [name]Poppy[/name] as a full name. But, I’m in the US where it is far less common. [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Harlow[/name] has a nice flow.

Here are some other thoughts, if you aren’t interested no worries:

[name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Vivia[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]

GL!

I think I prefer it spelt [name]Rowen[/name] to make it look more girly? [name]Rowan[/name] looks more masculine to me.

[name]How[/name] you do you say [name]Rowena[/name] (ROW-EE-NAH) or ([name]RO[/name]-[name]WIN[/name]-[name]AH[/name]) I’d assume with the “EE” but I don’t really like it. I prefer just [name]Rowen[/name] personally, as does the DH.

We love botanical baby names for girls. DH likes the less frilly ones, and of course I prefer pink power! [name]Olive[/name] is nice but not for my child.

What is wrong with [name]Poppy[/name]? Honestly…

P.

I’m not really a fan of [name]Poppy[/name]… it sounds more like a nickname for me and I don’t envision it on an adult. I like the name [name]Rowen[/name] for a girl but I dont like [name]Rowena[/name]. With that said… I don’t like the “ee” in [name]Rowena[/name] but I like how you pronounced it Petite by saying [name]Ro[/name] [name]WIN[/name] A…So maybe spell it that way… [name]Rowina[/name] or Rowinna…it might make it seem more feminine. [name]Just[/name] a thought…happy naming!

There isn’t anything wrong with [name]Poppy[/name] and I do think it ages fine. I just prefer longer names that don’t feel nicknamy. I can imagine the name on a child, teen, college girl and old lady–although I do struggle to see it on a working adult. If you love it, use it!

Other botanical names (just in case you still are thinking about other names, if not just ignore this)

[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Peony[/name]
[name]Petunia[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
Hibiscus
[name]Fern[/name]

GL!
T

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Rowen[/name] for a girl, although I do prefer the [name]Rowan[/name] spelling. I’d be wary of [name]Rowena[/name], personally, since the correct pronunciation is a lot closer to [name]Ro[/name]-WEEN-a. Might make a girl a prime target for “weiner” jokes.

Appellation Mountain has a really great post on the history of [name]Rowan[/name] as both a boys and girls name that you might want to check out: http://appellationmountain.net/2010/02/02/name-of-the-day-rowan/

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Rowan[/name] totally works for a girl, but I’d spell it [name]Rowan[/name] instead of [name]Rowen[/name]. Depending on your last name, I think [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] are gorgeous for your little girl! I even like [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name]…

As for [name]Poppy[/name], yes it can stand alone as a first name. Is that popular in [name]London[/name]? It feels like a [name]London[/name] name to me. Ha! Anyway, you could use it as a nickname for [name]Penelope[/name], if you wanted a more formal name for your daughter, or give her a more serious middle name. As much as I love - seriously! - [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name], I’m not sure that’s the most serious and appropriate combination. [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Callista[/name] would be better, I think, or a classic like [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name], [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Virginia[/name], or [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]. Cute name!

I’m not a huge [name]Lola[/name] fan, myself, as it sounds a bit too youthful. I also get the sense that [name]Lola[/name] is trying too hard to be young and hip and modern. [name]Just[/name] a personal thing, I suppose…

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks, you gave us some things to think about. [name]Penelope[/name] is something for us to discuss, DH had an ex with that name so I’m not sure we’d use it. The suggestion of [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name] is great, we have had that combo in mind for some time but we thought it was a little too quirky and boho. But nevertheless, I think it is great. DH would be happier using a more traditional down to earth name in the middle spot, if we were to go for [name]Poppy[/name]. Along the lines of, [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] and so on.

[name]Ivy[/name] is nice, too. I’d be more inclined to use it in the middle spot though. [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] sounds rather lovely.

[name]Rowan[/name]/[name]Rowen[/name]. I’ll do some research before I commit to a spelling for sure. Sure [name]Rowan[/name] is more established, but [name]Rowen[/name] looks less harsh. I considered [name]Rowyn[/name], but I’m not one for being tryndee - so that was soon vetoed by yours truly.

Some other names on lower down on our list include: [name]Cleo[/name], [name]Rosey[/name], [name]Greer[/name], [name]Minnie[/name], [name]Aster[/name], [name]Della[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Tallulah[/name]

I like both names–and I think you should spell it how you want to. My favorite would have to be [name]Rowen[/name]. I like [name]Rowen[/name] [name]Laurel[/name]. It has a nice smooth elegant feel to it and I can see it as a sophisticated adult name. [name]Poppy[/name] is more fun, but not as refined and elegant as [name]Rowen[/name]. I have a suggestion–and feel free to shut me down, but I work in a nursery, so I see a ton of names. One that really stood out for me recently was a baby girl named [name]Phillipa[/name] (not sure on the spelling), but they called her [name]Pippa[/name]. I thought it was adorable, and it souds a lot like [name]Poppy[/name], but less popular. Also she would have a more formal/refined name for when she gets older if she doesn’t want to be called [name]Pippa[/name]. [name]Both[/name] names you have are great–Good luck :slight_smile:

We have a daughter named [name]Rowan[/name] and it ended up being really popular around here. Two more Rowans were born in my church within two months, two more friends from high school picked [name]Rowan[/name] within a couple years, and we’ve met another three at the park/playgroups. I did not see that coming lol! I wonder sometimes if its just a regional trend (luckily its seems to have died off). Anyway, I love the name, but not how popular it is.