Poppy: the decider

See the results of this poll: You decide.

Respondents: 35 (This poll is closed)

• Keep it : 26 (74%)
  • Trash it: 9 (26%)

I do not like the name at all, but I hardly think it’s unusable or unworthy of respect. Keep it if you absolutel love it.

Hello
I think you should keep it. It is not my fave name but I know a lot worse names than Poppy… I know a couple whos little girl is a Poppy and the father was in fact in the Australian army… :slight_smile: I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about her name!

I love the name a lot. But I voted trash it based on the reasons you cited. :frowning: It’s a terrible shame because it makes me think of beautiful
poppy fields but I think there are too many people out there who will not think of the flower.

I like [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]. I wouldn’t trash it. People will get used to it when they meet someone named [name_f]Poppy[/name_f].

I say keep it! [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] isn’t any more cutesy than [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] or [name_f]Holly[/name_f], and since it has such a lot of meaning for you, trashing it would be strange. You can’t please everyone with your name choice - we all have different tastes, so you should feel free to go with a name you truly love.
P.S. I know it is not an option, but I’ve always thought [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] makes an adorable nickname for [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].

Sorry accidentally repeated my post

I wouldn’t use the name on my own child [personal preference] but their is absolutely nothing wrong with the name itself. I would be quite happy to meet a little girl called [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]. I do love it as a middle name though especially paired with a more formal sounding fn.

The first [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] I knew was an Adult, everyone seemed to adore her name. Australian of Greek descent. It seems if you have some obvious non-Aussie heritage people have a different acceptance level or attitude about names.
Sorry for the negativity. I think [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is lovely and names have a way of growing up! [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Jennie[/name_f] might have sounded cutesy once.
Your reasons about the Armed forces association bring tears to my eyes. That’s very special I think. Not that you need that, you should be able to use it without comments.
Funnily it’s very popular and often suggested in my area over many other names.
I am guessing you want [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] as a ‘stand alone’ but I was going to suggest thinking of a name for which [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] can be a shorter version…but that’s compromise.
I reiterate the names is very well received in my area, I think the poll is positive :slight_smile: and please stand strong: think of the ’diggers,’
Very best wishes,
kezzierose

I think [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is usable no doubt, I have a cousin who named their daughter [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and even though we called our Grandfather on that side of the family Grandpop, or even Grumpop’s, but Pops and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] isn’t confusinf in our family, it could even been a fun way to honour your parents. I love the name and it’s connection to ANZAC, remembrance day.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f]-Violent comes into my mind more than [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] to Poopy ever will.

This is one of my good friend’s first choice for a little girl. I actually really love the name. I always get such a fresh image in my head when I think of it, and I think it sounds so sweet :slight_smile: It definitely isn’t for everyone, but if you have a daughter and you look down at her and she’s just so much a “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]” then I think you should name her that. I’ve heard much, much worse names in my life.

[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is a fantastic, happy, sunny name. I’ve known adult [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]'s, do by all means, keep it. [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] will seem positively adult next to Mckinsley and the like.