Poppy

Hello, everyone!

I’m not pregnant, but love thinking about names. Lately I have been loving [name]Poppy[/name] (as its own name, not as a nickname for [name]Penelope[/name]). At first I was hesitant, but I think if [name]Daisy[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] can be names, why not?

What does everyone think about [name]Poppy[/name]?

My eldest’s name is [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Rae[/name], so it’s safe to say I’m biased here, but I do adore [name]Poppy[/name]. I find her full of zest, and she’s very buoyant and energetic to me.

I personally liked to keep her in the middle, out of fear it’s sound a bit childish once she hits her 30s. A more grounded, elaborate mn could help with that though, I also like her with stronger first names. [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Octavia[/name] and [name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] come to mind!

I think [name]Poppy[/name] is cute for a little girl, but she might want a more sophisticated name as a women. I think using it as a nickname would allow your daughter to choose how she wants to be called when she’s older.

Here are full name options:
* [name]Paula[/name]
* [name]Paulina[/name]
* [name]Penelope[/name]
* [name]Persephone[/name]

(Of course [name]Poppy[/name] is popular in [name]England[/name] so maybe it will catch on here)

I’m with [name]Sophie[/name] and Ice on this one. I think [name]Poppy[/name] is absolutely darling ([name]Sophie[/name], I [name]LOVE[/name] your daughter’s name!), but I’d personally use it as a middle name or as a nickname.

I think [name]Poppy[/name] is perfect on its own.

I know a family in [name]London[/name] who named their daughters [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Daisy[/name] then triplets: [name]Lily[/name], [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Jazmine[/name] (with that spellling)

I think it’s a very cute name indeed.

[name]Poppy[/name] is relatively popular here in [name]Scotland[/name] and I think it’s such a sweet little name :slight_smile:

[name]Gracie[/name]

Thanks, everyone, for the replies! I am torn between the two views but really appreciate hearing everyone’s opinions (and welcome more).

Also, as potential [name]Poppy[/name] combos I like:

[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Maya[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
([name]Hannah[/name] and [name]Maya[/name] are some of the few first names I’ve gotten my husband to agree to. I’m working on [name]Poppy[/name] as a first . . . )

[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Isabelle[/name]/a
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Madeline[/name]

(last name is three syllables).

Thanks!

Ooh, love [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Isabelle[/name]/a… I can’t tell which I prefer! I think [name]Isabella[/name]. [name]Poppy[/name] used to be one of my favorite name, but now I can’t stop thinking of the Spanish Papi, which makes me mad because I love [name]Poppy[/name]. I think [name]Poppy[/name] can stand on it’s own, and I would love to meet a little [name]Poppy[/name], or a grown up [name]Poppy[/name]. That said, I don’t think I would use it as a fully name myself. It makes an amazing middle name, that’s for sure.

[name]Poppy[/name] is a lovely name. Refreshing to all the other popular flower names such as [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Rose[/name] etc. [name]Poppy[/name] ages gracefully. For example, the actress [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name]

[name]Poppy[/name] is a lovely name. Refreshing to all the other popular flower names such as [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Rose[/name] etc. [name]Poppy[/name] ages gracefully. For example, the actress [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name]

[name]Lyndsey[/name], I think [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] is my favorite also! And I hear you about Papi, although it doesn’t bother me that much. My husband is more afraid that she will call “Poopy” on the playground.

[name]Jen[/name], I found comfort in [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] as well! I think she proves it carries well into adulthood.

I am still debating [name]Poppy[/name] . . . and still not positive I am brave enough to use it on its own.

Which leaves me at [name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name] . . . which I love, but feel slightly hesitant about. One of those great on paper names, but I every time I think about actually naming my daughter [name]Penelope[/name], something holds me back.

What does everyone think about [name]Penelope[/name]? [name]Penelope[/name] with a slightly clunky, three syllable last name? Any good middle name suggestions?

I think [name]Penelope[/name] is really spunky, and the same goes for [name]Poppy[/name]. Have you thought about introducing yourself to strangers as [name]Poppy[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name] as a test? Maybe you’ll feel really comfortable, and you’ll be relieved by the lack of eyeball rolls. :slight_smile:

If you’re not comfortable, what about using another name, like [name]Phillipa[/name], for [name]Poppy[/name]? You could also use double p initials ([name]Paulina[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], for example), although that may lead to pee pee jokes (or maybe not). Hmm…

Anyway, yeah, I think [name]Penelope[/name] is really peppy! :slight_smile: