Poppy

Can it stand alone or is it too cute for an adult? [name]Penelope[/name] is a bit much for my taste but I enjoy [name]Poppy[/name].

[name]Poppy[/name] honestly sounds like something you would call your grandfather or dog…not something you woud call a baby girl. sorry just my personal opinion

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! I think that [name]Poppy[/name] is adorable on a little girl (and as a nickname for [name]Penelope[/name]), but now that I think about it, I guess O really can’t see it aging very well. I know there’s an actress named [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name], but I can’t really see [name]Poppy[/name] on a Supreme [name]Court[/name] [name]Justice[/name] or President of the United States. Hmm…What do you think?

If you’re unsure about it as a first name, you could always use it in the middle, or even as a term of endearment.

I think it’s adorable, though! :slight_smile:

Take care!

I love [name]Poppy[/name]! I think it is very cute and pretty…

Maybe [name]Poppy[/name] is like the new [name]Polly[/name] or [name]Molly[/name]…

OMG, zard!
I dreamt of this name last nite. I woke today smitten with it.
I don’t think my hubby would actually go for it but I think it’s fantastic.

My concern is that adult [name]Poppy[/name] might not appreciate being given this name. I think it’s spunky and fits in/stands out but I could see how a girl named [name]Poppy[/name] might not feel she’s taken seriously enough (or at all).

If my hubby would consider it, it would most definitely be on our short list.

Best-
[name]Tara[/name]

In my opinion [name]Poppy[/name] is an adorable name. Although I dont know any adult women named [name]Poppy[/name] I could definitely imagine the name on an adult, and she would stand out!

A friend in Australia just named her baby girl [name]Poppi[/name]. I think it’s a sweet name and would “age” just fine. There’s a TV actress named [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] and I always thought she had a nice name.

I like the name in theory for a girl, but I just can’t shake the association with “grandfather.”

I would never have thought of an association between [name]Poppy[/name] and Pop. It’s a word name, which tends to inhibit associations with other words. It’s like how I think of [name]Amber[/name] and [name]Ember[/name] as completely unrelated names, even if they look similar. They’re words, and quite different words.

I’d consider [name]Penelope[/name] well within the familiar and comfortable zone. [name]Poppy[/name] is the one that feels almost outrageous. I would never have thought of it as a nickname for [name]Penelope[/name] - I’d only use [name]Penny[/name] for that. Why? Because I now love [name]Poppy[/name] to much to relegate it to a nickname!

Is it the most serious name out there? No. But I wouldn’t worry about it. Most people have to deal with names outside their comfort zones frequently, and this will only be more true by the time she grows up.

A lot of times, when people say a name doesn’t age well, what they mean is, “It’s a new name, so I’ve never seen it on an adult.” Newer names will gain familiarity. There are some names which time won’t improve. Take [name]Tresor[/name], for example. (Sound it out, and if you don’t get it, try saying it with different accents until you do.) And that’s on a boy.

I strongly despise the name poppy for a child. I called my grandfather poppy and when I was growing up my nieghbors had an albino cat named [name]Poppy[/name]; its such an odd name for a little girl. Sorry, good luck.

Also, I feel it incumbent upon me to point out the association of [name]Poppy[/name] seeds, which is sure to be a recess nightmare for her. I think all that would need to be done is put a more serious, adult-sounding name on the birth certificate, and call her [name]Poppy[/name] at home to your heart’s content. This way, she has a name that can age with her, if she needs it to, and one that is a fun, spunky version. I am strongly opposed to giving children nicknames as real names.

Some long names with [name]Poppy[/name] as a nickname:
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Pauline[/name]
[name]Paulina[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Peony[/name]
[name]Phillipa[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]

Basically any “P” name could work with [name]Poppy[/name], sort of like how [name]Gigi[/name] works with basically an “G” name. Personally, my favorites are [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Piper[/name]. I don’t think that [name]Penelope[/name] is too heavy at all, but if that route scares you, I think [name]Piper[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name] is a wonderful way to go. I hadn’t originally thought of it, but when I saw it, I thought, “That is a great combination.” All in all, it doesn’t even matter what we nameberriers…nameberrites…name… I don’t think anyone knows what to call us, think. It is up to you and your SO to figure out what to name your darling little girl.

Best of luck!

I know right!! I think it is so spunky and cute. To me it doesn’t feel much different then say [name]Molly[/name].

I agree. Thanks for the long response. To me [name]Poppy[/name] is no more out there then say [name]Magnolia[/name].

WOAH!!! This post really brought out the opinions! [name]Love[/name] it! Great discussion. Thanks ladies (and gents).

wow [name]Piper[/name] over [name]Poppy[/name]. To me [name]Piper[/name] and [name]Poppy[/name] are in the same boat of can this age well.

[name]Hi[/name], Zard!

Honestly, I like [name]Poppy[/name]. I see the concerns that it sounds a bit light for an adult, but - if I’m being totally honest with myself - so does [name]Lily[/name]. [name]Lily[/name], as a matter of fact, sounds lighter to me than [name]Poppy[/name], as the hard P sound anchors the name, giving it strength.

Actress [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] (b. [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Petal[/name] [name]Emma[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Deveraux[/name] [name]Donahue[/name]) has survived 34 years with the name. And, she’s turned out pretty well, right?

The question always is, “Can I see this name on a lawyer? A doctor? A musician? A garbage collector?” - okay, maybe not that last one. ([name]Just[/name] as a side note, can we see [name]Nevaeh[/name] on a future doctor? Most would probably answer in the negative, but the reality is that there likely will be a future Dr. [name]Nevaeh[/name].) But the thing to remember is we don’t know who our children are going to grow up to be. Should we name them all [name]John[/name] in case they grow up to be President? [name]Russell[/name] in case they become a doctor? [name]Jagger[/name] in case he becomes a musician? My answer is a simple “no.” We can’t define our children before they are born - we can’t speculate about who or what they will become. We can only bestow upon them a name of our choosing, a name we love and can only hope they will love, too.

With that being said, let me leave you with a brief description of Miss [name]Poppy[/name], as seen through my own eyes - or my brain, rather…

[name]Poppy[/name] is a clever, sneaky girl of about four. She loves to play hopscotch with her younger brothers, her warm blond curls bouncing upon her back with each hop. Demanding and strong, [name]Poppy[/name] is not one to be trifled with. [name]Ever[/name] the big sister, however, she is careful to instruct her younger brothers as to the rules of the game - she wouldn’t want their silliness to disrupt her fun! Dressed in a pair of bright leggings and a loose-fitting tunic top, [name]Poppy[/name] takes in the warm summer breezes, her rosy face breaking out into a sunny smile as she watches her small brother hop on his one foot, falling into a fit of giggles when she sees him tumble over…

CHECK OUT [name]POPPY[/name]'S OUTFIT @ http://baerenee.com/images/Item167521.jpg.jpg

Enjoy!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Lemon[/name],

thank you for the adorable description and outfit. Pretty sure [name]Emery[/name] [name]Jane[/name] needs that… NOW! Haha.

I too think [name]Lily[/name] is very light. I think it is quite a pretty name but if you can picture an adult [name]Lily[/name] or even Volet (for me this also light) I think [name]Poppy[/name] is even better. While [name]Poppy[/name] is not at the top of our list for future children ([name]Louise[/name] Larrabee is still taking the cake for me with [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] in second) I feel like [name]Poppy[/name] could swoop in and steal the show :).

Thank you again for the adorable description!

Thoughts on a middle name for [name]Poppy[/name]?

[name]Elizabeth[/name] Zardenia (your new name for the day…):

[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]

[name]Poppy[/name] in the middle:

[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] (not with [name]Emery[/name], of course) :slight_smile:
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]

Have a good day! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome, Zard!

Oh, that outfit has many variations. I don’t know what size [name]Emery[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is, but I think it is predominately 0-18 months - some styles might be different. The brand is Mud Pie, and it has several different styles! Snatch one up now! :wink:

As much as I want to tell you [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Clementine[/name], I am going to rein it in and tell you NOT to do that! That is a bit too much spunk and sass in one name, don’t you agree? So, what might be suitable? I’d probably say a classic…

[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] - [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is so cute for a little girl!
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] - Sounds rich and royal without losing its fun…
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Frances[/name] - Downplay [name]Poppy[/name]'s girl-y charm with [name]Frances[/name]!
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Irene[/name] - I don’t like how it looks, but it works alright…
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Julia[/name] - Perfect for a girly-girl with brains and brawn!
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - I know you like [name]Louise[/name], but [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Lou[/name]? Hmm…
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] - Is [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Lu[/name] pushing it? Probably…
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] - This is pretty, plain and simple.
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Nell[/name] - [name]Nell[/name] is a plain name with glitz, and I love it!
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - I think [name]Ruth[/name] spoils the fun a bit…
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] - [name]Poppy[/name] Seed? No S names!
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Tess[/name] - This feels incomplete to me, but it is kind of cute…
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] - This is cute, but I like others better.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: