Popular in US, rarer in England

So this is the reverse version of the Popular in England, rarer in the US threads I made. I used NB’s US popularity list from 2018 and the England and Wales list. Hopefully these are correct, apologies for any mistakes.

Avery 16 vs 442

Camila 18 vs not in UK* top 1000

Victoria 21 vs 101*

Riley 28 vs 270

Zoey 29 vs 586

Lillian 34 vs 333

Addison 35 vs 465

Aubrey 36 vs 279

Stella 38 vs 334

Natalie 39 vs 354

Audrey 46 vs 298

Brooklyn 47 vs 553

Claire 49 vs not in uk top 1000

Everly 53 vs 278

Caroline 55 vs not in uk top 1000

Nova 56 vs 208

Genesis 57 vs not in uk top 1000

Kennedy 59 vs not in uk top 1000

Samantha 60 vs 491

Kinsley 63 vs not in UK top 1000

Allison 65 vs not in Uk top 1000

Madelyn 72 vs not in UK top 1000

Serenity 76 vs 898

Adeline 78 vs 370

Hailey 79 vs 850

Gianna 80 vs 928

Valentina 81 vs 241

Quinn 84 vs 277

Alexa 90 vs 380

Josephine 91 vs 253

Emery 92 vs not in Uk top 1000

Arianna 95 vs 289

Vivian 96 vs not in UK top 1000

Kaylee 97 vs not in UK top 1000

Brielle 99 vs not in UK top 1000

Madeline 100 vs 385

*By UK I am talking about the England and Wales list as Scotland has its own and Northern Ireland is included in Ireland. it’s just easier to say UK even though it’s not geographically correct :laughing:

*I’m aware that 101 is still popular but I thought it was interesting that Victoria is so much more common in the US than England given the huge Royal connection.

Which if these surprised you??

reverse versions:

6 Likes

Wow this list is so so so different to the UK one! I’m surprised by all of them! I can’t believe how popular these names are, most of them are almost unheard of in the UK, it amazes me how different they are!

2 Likes

boy’s version^^

Insane how different these are! The ones that really got me were [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], [name_f]Gianna[/name_f], [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], [name_u]Allison[/name_u], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], & [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Intriguing - the names on the list definitely do have strong american vibes

1 Like

I’ve always thought it was so crazy how much higher [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] ranks in the US! It feels so British to me.

3 Likes

Interesting - I’m english and I’ve known a lot of Josephines. [name_m]How[/name_m] many are there in the states?!

1 Like

I don’t know, I don’t know any lol. But it ranks #91 in the UK and #253 In [name_f]England[/name_f].

1 Like

I love [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] :heart::heart: Thank you for posting this! Very interesting!

1 Like

I love all of these topics, what a great idea for a post!

I do generally prefer the British list to the US one, but the ones I’d love to hear more of in the UK are [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f], stylish, grown up names (my one criticism of the British popular style is that it can be a bit too cutesy and twee).

2 Likes

I’ll do the opposite now lol. I’ve known tons of:
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u] (of various spellings)
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]/Madeline (of various spellings. Combining because I’ve only ever heard them said the same)
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f] (of various spellings)
[name_f]Kaylee[/name_f] (of various spellings)

2 Likes

Prefer the UK list in general but names I’d like to see more of in [name_f]England[/name_f]:

Lillian, [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u].

I know mum went to school with a number of Carolines in the 70s/80s so I wonder if that’s aged it.
It also explains the number of US readers who told me to never use [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] on a boy - so popular for girls there!

2 Likes

I’m quite surprised [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] aren’t more popular in [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m]!

2 Likes

Camila, [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] surprise me a lot! So do [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u].

2 Likes

yes, they’re so different!! I think some may come down to spelling for example [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is the most common spelling here (although it’s still only at #376). [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] with 2 ‘L’s’ is at #410 but doesn’t rank as the [name_f]Camila[/name_f] spelling.
[name_u]Allison[/name_u] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] feel super dated to me, I only know middle aged women called these. :blush:

2 Likes

Josephine shocked me too! I thought it would rank about the same in both countries maybe in the top 200. Definitely feels more British!!

1 Like

you’re welcome! [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] is beautiful, I’m surprised it hasn’t grown in popularity here.

thank you @katinka , i find these really fun to make!! The British list is more my style too but I do agree that a lot of our names are overly cute, I struggle to imagine some of them on grown adults!!
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] surprised me a lot as I feel they fit in with the vintagey vibe here and i’m surprised we haven’t taken [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] for the nn ‘[name_u]Josie[/name_u]’.
It’s super interesting how different they are stylistically, xxx

2 Likes

Yes I was very surprised by how popular [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] were! x

@leafsgirl44 @midwinter

I was very surprised about all of the names you mentioned too!! Except [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f].
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] has always felt very dated to me, it’s a bit of a ‘mum’ name and lacks the Southern charm that it has in the states.
I think the lack of popularity for [name_f]Stella[/name_f] is probably due to the fact that we have a very popular, cheap beer brand called [name_f]Stella[/name_f] Artois or often just referred to as [name_f]Stella[/name_f] which puts me (and probably many others) off this name despite it’s sweet meaning and astrological connections. :heart:

1 Like