Popular in US, rarer in England

Here is the boy’s version if the reverse list. Apologies for any mistakes!!

Wyatt 26 vs 283

Julian 36 vs 276

Mateo 37 vs 314

Asher 47 vs 217

Christian 55 vs 221

Landon 61 vs not in UK top 1000

Adrian 62 vs 231

Jonathan 63 vs 240

Nolan 64 vs 540

Jeremiah 65 vs 332

Easton 66 vs not in UK top 1000

Colton 68 vs 989

Carson 70 vs 343

Angel 72 vs not in Uk top 1000

Maverick 73 vs 612

Greyson 77 vs 362

Ian 79 vs 592

Santiago 81 vs 432

Brayden 84 vs 521

Ezekiel 87 vs 334

Xavier 88 vs 224

Jose 89 vs 884

Jace 90 vs 313

Jameson 91 vs not in UK top 1000

Leonardo 92 vs not in UK top 1000

Bryson 93 vs not in UK top 1000

Axel 94 vs 244

Everett 95 vs not in UK top 1000

Sawyer 99 vs not in UK top 1000

*by UK i mean England and Wales, I know this is geographically incorrect it’s just easier to type :laughing:

Which of these surprised you?

reverse versions:

3 Likes

girl’s version^^

Leonardo really surprised me! The rest of the names feel very American so I wasn’t too shocked there but I really thought that [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] would be at least in the top 250-500!

1 Like

I like exactly one name on this list - [name_u]Everett[/name_u]. And even then, it’s a ‘like but wouldn’t use’. ([name_u]Julian[/name_u] is a 5/10 if that also counts) They do feel very American to me. Nothing wrong with it but nms.

Genuine question - where are all the baby Ians coming from? I can only think of [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Beale[/name_m] in my [name_f]English[/name_f] brain (middle aged soap character) so that’s probably clouding my judgement.

1 Like

I didn’t realise [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] was so popular!!

Yes!! I was quite surprised that it wasn’t in the UK list at all too, I think perhaps people go for the nicknames [name_m]Leo[/name_m] or [name_m]Leon[/name_m] instead over here? xx

1 Like

I like a few of these but our UK list feels much more my style. [name_u]Everett[/name_u] is nice and I personally like [name_u]Asher[/name_u] and [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] for their biblical connections.

I always think of [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Beale[/name_m] too! [name_f]My[/name_f] mum used to watch Eastenders and that’s all I can think of. I don’t see the appeal. [name_m]Adrian[/name_m] also feels quite middle aged to me.

1 Like

It’s funny because I thought I didn’t like our UK boys list much but apparently I’ll take nicknames over surnames and unisex names. Didn’t really think about that before.

It’s not a bad list at all, just doesn’t quite grab me. (Though some of our shared popular names - [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] etc. I do like)

1 Like

I agree that some of our boy names are a tad too nicknamey and ‘cute’. I struggle to imagine [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], and [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] on a fully grown man if that makes sense. But I think these names sound strange in our accent because we just don’t have that strong ‘r’ sound (well mine doesn’t, some UK accents do of course).

It was actually quite hard to find boy names that had a big popularity gap as many of them ranked similarly in both countries so there were definitely some that I liked on the list xx

1 Like

This list definitely feels very evocative of the general US naming style for me. I also think it’s interesting how popular the [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] spelling is in [name_u]America[/name_u], do you know if it ranks higher than [name_u]Grayson[/name_u]?

1 Like

I agree! And I too found that strange. [name_u]Grayson[/name_u] is 32 is the US and 83 in [name_f]England[/name_f] so quite popular in both. It’s odd because we spell the colour like ‘[name_u]Grey[/name_u]’.

1 Like

I agree, I also find the [name_u]Gray[/name_u] spelling feels more masculine so suits a boy called [name_u]Grayson[/name_u]. :))

1 Like

I’m surprised that Greyson made the list and not Grayson (assuming that Grayson isn’t on here because it’s also popular in the UK?) when “gray” is the American spelling of “grey”.

ETA: I much prefer Grey/Greyson in all situations. I use “grey” when I’m writing too, even though I’m American. Just with the colors I associate with letters, “A” is pink so “gray” ends up looking like pinkish-gray, like the color of lint you pull out of the dryer. “E” is a light blue so “grey” is a pretty blue-grey color (like my eyes).

1 Like

It’s fascinating how when you compare the two lists you can really see how the UK has a much larger proportion of Muslim population and the US is much more influenced by its Latino population! A lot of the names that are much more common in one country than the other are associated with a particular minority culture that is proportionally larger there. Other than that, it’s definitely the cowboy names in [name_u]America[/name_u] and the cutesy prepster nickname-names in the UK.

I am surprised [name_m]Ian[/name_m] is way more popular here, though, because it has a very British/Scottish vibe to me. Maybe it’s considered more of a dad name in the UK?

1 Like

Well, [name_u]Angel[/name_u], [name_m]Jose[/name_m], and [name_m]Santiago[/name_m] are not surprising at all, given the Hispanic population we have and you don’t. :slight_smile:

The only ones I wonder are not more popular in the UK are [name_m]Ian[/name_m] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u]. Those feel like they’d fit in well with a lot of the names trending over there. But the rest definitely feel more American. I mean, [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]? [name_u]Maverick[/name_u]? Only in [name_u]America[/name_u]. :wink:

1 Like

@MargotAbilene It is odd, I suppose it’s just down to personal preference of how the name actually looks. I prefer [name_u]Grey[/name_u]/Greyson myself!

@elanorelle [name_m]Ian[/name_m] does feel more British to me, but it’s very dated here and I can’t really imagine it on a baby. And [name_u]Everett[/name_u] strikes me as fitting in more with the US list!

2 Likes

yes, that’s something I definitely noticed too! It’s a really interesting observation actually.

Ian is definitely considered a dad name here, I would be very surprised to meet a little [name_m]Ian[/name_m]. (not a bad name but super dated).

Ian is very dated here, bit of a dad name imo. [name_u]Everett[/name_u] is lovely but definitely feels more American to me xoxo

1 Like