Popular names you just don't 'get'.

Are there any names that are popular (maybe in another country or your own) but you don’t see the appeal.

[name]Audrey[/name] seems to be really popular on here but to me it’s an old ladies name. I can’t imagine anyone under the age of 40 with that name but everyone here seems to love it.

[name]Charlotte[/name]
I just don’t get the appeal of [name]Charlotte[/name]…
Where other’s see elegance and history, I just see tackyness and wannabe vintage…
I just don’t like [name]Charlotte[/name], but to be honest I wish I did… I don’t want to have such strong dislike for any name, especially one like [name]Charlotte[/name] which has all the qualities of a good name something my brain completely understands, but my heart just doesn’t like [name]Charlotte[/name]…

Also, I always read [name]Violet[/name] as Violent so that one’s out as well, but I like her more than [name]Charlotte[/name]…

Actually, I recently found out I’m not too fond of names ending in T: [name]Violet[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name]/[name]Scarlet[/name], [name]Juliet[/name] and so on… I think the T ending is a bit too abrupt for my liking…

^I liked [name]Charlotte[/name] when I was younger but now it’s overdone. Like [name]Jessica[/name]. Popularity killed that name for me too.

I don’t really understand why people keep calling their kids [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] either.

Seems like everyone, even on TV shows, seems to use these names for their sons. They’ve been so over done by this point that they’ve lost all personality to me. I can’t even create a mental image of what [name]Jack[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name] should look like because I’ve seen so many.

nevaeh i just dont like it

I prefer it spelt Neava but it’s not my favourite either.
[name]Nevaeh[/name] seems like it has too many extra letters for me

I don’t get [name]Jacob[/name] for some reason . . . I guess it just seams too trendy. This is odd, though, because I like other trendy biblical names like [name]Elijah[/name] and [name]Isaiah[/name].
I also don’t get [name]Aidan[/name] because it also seems too trendy, but it is a perfectly legitimate name.
[name]Heaven[/name] is a name that’s hard to understand: to me it seems like naming your child nirvana.

[name]Emery[/name]. [name]Just[/name] makes me think of emery boards (nail files). As if it suggests the child has an abrasive personality :wink:

Yep, for me its [name]Penelope[/name], which seems to be really popular on here.

It just reminds me of a middle aged actress in the UK ([name]Penelope[/name] [name]Keith[/name]) and [name]Penelope[/name] Pitstop! Also the nn [name]Penny[/name] I can’t stand and the can’t see how the nn [name]Poppy[/name] arises from the name. [name]Poppy[/name] as a stand alone name is quite common over here - I know two young [name]Poppy[/name]'s and find that cute

addison, makayla/kayla, shayna
and all the unisex, child, & object/occupation names!

[name]Freya[/name], I just don’t see the appeal.

I totally agree - the occupation ones really make me laugh.

I’ve also never understood names like [name]Alison[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name], etc. for girls. ‘[name]Son[/name]’? What’s that all about?

[name]Emily[/name]! I really just don’t understand how it got so popular. Or [name]Ava[/name], for that matter. But the big thing is names like [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Jack[/name] (these specifically.) I might have liked them once, but they have really lost their appeal now that every kid I meet has those names. I see all those kids with the same name and think huh??? Those names just seem so boring now.
Also: To a previous poster, I also see [name]Violet[/name] as Violent!! And, on that note, [name]Lily[/name] looks just like “[name]Silly[/name]” to me.

I will never understand [name]Sebastian[/name]. ever. I just question why?
I also don’t see why [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Emily[/name] are so popular.
Some of the older names that are coming back seem like people are trying way too hard. I don’t know maybe it’s just me.
I love [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] though, it’s a shame they’re so popular.

Oh theres alot. So many names that ALOT of people seem to love i really strongly dislike. [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], all gem names i dislike. [name]Lark[/name], i dislike this one because it sounds so heavy to me, not feminine at all. Another one i cannot even being to understand is [name]Aster[/name]. I like easton but i hate aster. the first thing i hear is ass turd and to me thats just mean to give a child. Other names that seem very old and clunky to me such as [name]Elenore[/name], Mirium, [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], and [name]Dorothea[/name] drive me crazy. I cannot explain it they just get under my skin, they feel like cruel names to give children because im still rather young (early 20’s) and i still remember being taunted and teased for the last name [name]Reno[/name]. Which i mean what can you really say about that when your in 2nd 3rd grade? Rhino and it used to make me cry. And names like that seem to give mean kids an upper edge on being mean and horrible.

[name]Jaden[/name]. [name]How[/name] does adding and “n” to [name]Jade[/name] make it a boy name instead of a girl name?

I totally agree - the occupation ones really make me laugh.

I’ve also never understood names like [name]Alison[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name], etc. for girls. ‘[name]Son[/name]’? What’s that all about?[/quote]

The whole ‘son’ thing… ughh, that botherd me alot when I was younger, because my name is [name]Madison[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'tget me wrong, it still bothers me, but [name]Madison[/name] means ‘son of warrior’ I’m definatly NOT a son! i’m realllly girly!

I don’t think I’ll ever get [name]Imogen[/name]. What! What is attractive about this name? The basic sounds of it–im, uh, gin–are ugly! Sorry, rant over.

I tend to have harsh opinions on the subject…

Any variation of [name]Michaela[/name]/[name]McKayla[/name]/Mykailah, what have you.

[name]Kyla[/name], [name]Kayla[/name], [name]Kylie[/name]

[name]Neveah[/name]

[name]McKenzie[/name] or any Mc name really. Unless you’re naming for your dear aunt [name]Moira[/name] [name]McKenzie[/name] who saved a load of babies from a burning building…

Any surnames that mean nothing to the family. I adore surnames for first names if they hold meaning, if it is your maiden name or your grandmothers maiden name.

[name]Madison[/name] and [name]Addison[/name], I just don’t “get”

Basically any name that a grown woman will look foolish with. A name that cannot be taken seriously or one that immediately is judged on a CV or job application. I am allowed to have harsh opinions, my lovely parents decided to grace me with a trendy American name of [name]Tiffany[/name]. It was not easy growing up in [name]England[/name] with the name and it certainly came with more judgment in [name]America[/name]. I get a lot of slack for a name I had no control in picking.

i agree with a lot of what has been said.

names that are too trendy to last. i dont like made up names. i agree, family names or surnames that hold no meaning dont make much sense to me either, although if you really love it, go ahead. i dont like names that have a made up spelling. i think if you say the name aloud, the ideal is to have the person listening know how to spell it right away. call me crazy.

I disagree with the surname criticism a bit, but I do agree that if they literally have NO connection, it is a bit weird. But, then again, my mom’s maiden name would make a terrible first name, and mine, [name]Miller[/name], would be like the ‘modern’ [name]Cooper[/name]. I do, however, like [name]Archer[/name] ([name]Newland[/name] [name]Archer[/name] in [name]Edith[/name] [name]Wharton[/name]'s ‘Age of Innocence’), [name]Bennett[/name] (oh, ‘Pride and Prejudice’, how I love thee…), [name]Austen[/name] (for [name]Jane[/name], of course), and [name]Lennox[/name], though I can’t quite explain that last one. I think they’d make fine middle names for a boy! That being said, many “occupation” names, such as [name]Fisher[/name] and [name]Sailor[/name], just get me. Does that mean it is okay to name your child Plumber?

Oh, the many names I don’t like. Well, I don’t care for any of my grandmothers’ or great-grandmothers’ names ([name]Irene[/name], [name]Marion[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Esther[/name]), I don’t care for the trendy [name]Levi[/name] and [name]Aidan[/name] - although I acknowledge their legitimacy as names, I don’t care for names ending in -belle, though I don’t write off all names containing the syllable (i.e., I don’t like [name]Isabelle[/name] or [name]Anabelle[/name], but [name]Isabel[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] are fine, as is [name]Arabella[/name]), I don’t like gem names because they look cheap in my opinion ([name]Crystal[/name], [name]Emerald[/name], [name]Diamond[/name]), I don’t like made-up/misspelled names, and I don’t like the names [name]Corey[/name] or [name]Nolan[/name] - they are just so nerdy and geeky and dated and terrible! Sorry! Rant over now… :-/

(I must admit that I did have a doll named [name]Mackenzie[/name] when I was younger, and my sister had her “fraternal twin”, [name]Morgan[/name]! I still think [name]Mackenzie[/name] is the best name of those like it - [name]McKenzie[/name], [name]Makayla[/name], [name]Madison[/name] - though I would never use it for my child. In my defense, my favorite doll when I was growing up was named [name]Charlotte[/name], a name I still love despite its “popularity” today (I quote this as I know just one [name]Charlotte[/name]) and would use on a future daughter.)