Popular Names

Are they that bad? I’ve been trying to find the perfect quirky and feminine name that is not popular and it is exhausting! I have finally resigned to the fact that popular names are not that bad… they are popular for a reason! despite my efforts I still [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Emma[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], and [name]Sophie[/name] (in addition to less popular [name]River[/name], [name]Hermione[/name], and [name]Beatrice[/name]). Why did I think it was so bad to like a popular name? Plus, being a teen berry, I will definitely not be having kids anytime soon, so couldn’t these popular names become less used by, say, 2024? What are names high in popularity that you like? Does popularity even matter, especially when you mix in some unusual ones?

I know lots of Islas, Liams, and Logans, but not one [name]Anthony[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name].

Sorry, what I meant was, you never know what names will be popular around you. It could differ a lot from the SS list. And your taste may change by then anyway, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

I know a lot of people don’t want their child to be “one of three _____” in their class. I can understand that, but I also don’t think you should let that stop you from choosing a name you truly love.

The question isn’t “Does popularity matter”. It’s: “Does popularity matter to YOU?” :slight_smile:

If you like quirky names, I would keep looking - the results can be really rewarding.

In the future, those popular names probably will go down in popularity. Names that spike in popularity and start to go down are first referred to as “trendy” names, and later “dated” names. Names that are consistent in popularity (i.e. [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Claudia[/name], basically names you can picture on any age) are called “classic” names.

[name]Emma[/name] alternatives: [name]Emily[/name], [name]Emmie[/name], Emiliane, [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Emery[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Embry[/name], [name]Ember[/name], [name]Ena[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] alternatives: [name]Carlotta[/name], [name]Charity[/name], [name]Charmian[/name], [name]Charlotta[/name] (I like [name]Charlotte[/name] nn [name]Lottie[/name] best, though!)
[name]Sophie[/name] alternatives: [name]Sofia[/name], Sola, [name]Sophronia[/name]/[name]Sofronia[/name], [name]Saffron[/name], [name]Sapphire[/name], [name]Sapphira[/name]

If you do decide to use [name]Emma[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Sophie[/name], you could always give her [name]River[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name] as a more unusual middle name.

I agree with pp, that it only matters if it is important to you. All the names you like are popular and not trendy. They will be just as beautiful in 30 years.

I’m of the “I dont want my kids to be [name]Emma[/name] S., [name]Isabella[/name] S. and [name]Ethan[/name] S…” mindset…

BUT…
I teach ballet and I’ve had three Amayas in the same dance class. [name]Amaya[/name]! So go figure, you never know if your kid is going to land in a setting where their unusual name happens to be doubled up, or sail through life totally happy to be an [name]Isabella[/name]! I think the more timeless/classic names that are super popular right now ([name]Olivia[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Emily[/name], even [name]Isabella[/name]) will tend to be seen as less trendy/overly popular in the future than those popular 2011 names that you KNOW are going to fade ([name]IMO[/name] [name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Brooklyn[/name]).

[name]Just[/name] thinking of popular names when I was born (early 80s)…Elizabeths and Sarahs born then had a very common name, but they dont feel dated like the Tiffanys and the [name]Ambers[/name]. [name]Emma[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], and [name]Sophia[/name] are all beautiful and classic names!

As an afterthought, like lineska said, some names will probably feel more trendy and consequently more dated later on (sometimes I hate being a teenage [name]Amber[/name]!) but [name]Emma[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] feel less trendy than something like [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Kaydence[/name] or [name]Nevaeh[/name]. So [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Kaydence[/name] and [name]Nevaeh[/name] will probably sound more dated than [name]Emma[/name]/[name]Charlotte[/name]/[name]Sophia[/name] in a few years time.

I am of the “who cares if it’s popular, it’s gorgeous!” mindset. [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lila[/name], and [name]Rachel[/name] are my frequent favorites… most of which are either quite popular or have very popular alternatives.

I don’t think it matters a ton. I did a bit of research for a [name]Berry[/name] on here considering a few popular names for her next daughter, and you know what I found? There is an average of about 3 Olivias born in each county, well, for her state, anyway. There’s an average of about 2 Lilys born in each county. When you divide that up among school districts, that averages about one [name]Olivia[/name] per each six school districts in that state! I just don’t understand why people get so tired of popular names when there are that few people born with the “really popular” names. The likelihood that she’d be an [name]Olivia[/name] S. or whatever seems so unlikely to me. Besides, I’ve been an [name]Ashley[/name] R. for the last several years, and it’s really not the end of the world. Okay, maybe it’s a little annoying, but it’s definitely not the hill I’m going to die on, and I doubt it’ll be the hill any [name]Isabella[/name] J., [name]Sophia[/name] L., or [name]Jayden[/name] Q. is going to die on, either. Popular names are popular for a reason. I wanted to find a unique name to give my children, too, but I just realized I prefer the more classic-feeling popular names right now. A lot of Berries love the less popular names so it doesn’t seem to be a very common opinion around here, but there’s nothing wrong with loving a popular name like [name]Ella[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Isabelle[/name], or [name]Julia[/name]. They’re popular for a reason, I think. :slight_smile:

You love the names you love. Popularity has nothing do with it, unless the popularity matters TO YOU. When I was a teenager (oh, does saying that make me feel so much older than I am!!), it seemed like every other girl was named [name]Addison[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Lauren[/name], and [name]Katie[/name]. Untrue, but I lived in an area where “popular” names were very prevalent. Many people live in areas where they never know anyone with a “popular” name.

And remember, names go in an out of fashion very quickly. [name]Charlotte[/name] wasn’t even on the radar 10 years ago. Now it’s nearing number one. Soon, something else will come up and it will fade. By the time you’re having your own children, your tastes may have changed dramatically and you’ll love other names then that we wouldn’t even consider today. It boils down to what you love. Popularity only means something if you want it to.

I know what you mean!! My husband absolutely looooves the name [name]Sophia[/name] and wants to name our baby [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Marie[/name]. I love it too, but every time I tell anyone the name they always react by saying, “Oh no! Please, not another [name]Sophia[/name]!” :frowning: It makes me have second thoughts on our name but my husband just keeps saying oh well its popular for a reason and I dont care. But popularity definitely makes you second guess the name! :frowning:

I agree with this. I am one of those who don’t like to use popular/common names, however, I would not not use certain names that love because they are popular. Also, “popular names” today aren’t quite the same thing as thirty years ago. The top ten names are used half as much as the top ten thirty years ago due to people nowadays having much less restricted choices. People name kids anything nowadays-literally. So despite [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] being top ten I only know one little girl named [name]Emma[/name] and one little girl named [name]Isabella[/name] whereas thirty years ago half my playgroup would have been named those (actually it would have been [name]Michelle[/name] & [name]Jennifer[/name]). I hope I explained that well enough, not sure I did.

I think that if you love it who cares if it’s popular! My husband is more the type to be anti-common names! I think the main goal shouldn’t be to get a rare one, cause it could boom in a few years…like a [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Norah[/name] born a few years ago would be somewhat unusual, but pretty common now…so if you picked one of those just to be unique you wouldn’t be too happy now! You have to pick what you love!

I grew up with a name that has, thus far, never dipped under 300 on the SSA name list. (it was at nearly 600 the year I was born). Alternate spellings are marginally more popular.

I still can’t decide whether the pros outweigh the cons: I’m very attached to and proud of having an uncommon name, and feel like I dodged a bullet (I was almost a [name]Katie[/name]). On the flip side, it’s made me almost possessive of my name – I feel irked momentarily when I do meet/hear of people who have the same name. That may just be my personal issue, though, who knows if it’s a common reaction to having an unusual name :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, I do know that it’s made me feel strongly about giving my child an unusual name, so maybe on some level I HAVE decided that the pros outweigh the cons. My husband has a SUPER common name, and he doesn’t think anything of it. You get used to what you have.

[name]Just[/name] some food for unusual name thought!

If you love a name enough, popularity shouldn’t matter, at least not to me. [name]Olivia[/name] is insanely popular where I live, and I like it, but wanted something more unique so we named our daughter Aliviah. To me it is a completely different name, not just a different spelling. And [name]Aubrey[/name] is becoming pretty popular around here, but I am so in love with that name, our next girl with be [name]Aubree[/name]. Plus, like you said, those names may not be popular by the time you are ready to have kids.

As a [name]Sarah[/name] born in the 80s I have always been one of at least 3 (and up to 5) [name]Sarah[/name]'s in the class. This has made me personally look for more unique names for my children. Some of the current Popular names are very pretty but I really feel that it’s nice to have something that is your own or has a special meaning to you (like being named after a relative or something). That’s just my personal view though. You could also try some different spelling or hyphenating if you want the name to be a little more unique?

I love love love [name]Ruby[/name] but now won’t use it for its popularity - its especially popular here in Australia. I know a few little [name]Ruby[/name] babies now and even quite a few dogs. In saying that, even though I don’t think I could be convinced to use something from the top 10, there’s probably little chance little [name]Ruby[/name], or whoever, will be one of many in a class. As is often pointed out, the top names of today don’t have the same top high numbers of yesteryear.

Honestly, I have always felt that if you really love a name, popularity doesn’t matter! I fell in love with the name [name]Ava[/name] for my now 3 year old from a baby name book and didn’t realize it’s popularity until I looked up the social security list and I couldn’t believe it! I was a relatively younger mom so I didn’t know a lot babies at time, but my gut told me that it still felt right, so I now have my little [name]Ava[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and we couldn’t be happier! It fits her perfectly [name]IMO[/name] and that’s all that matters. Also, despite it’s supposed popularity, we have very rarely run into another [name]Ava[/name], and she is the only one in her entire preschool/daycare center, not even just her class.