Popular v quirky

I’m in a dilemma.
I have to register my baby boy’s name tomorrow (5 weeks post birth) and I’m still undecided on name. Originally we planned to call him [name_m]Otto[/name_m] but I’m now wavering because I think we’ve only chosen it because it’s unusual. I really love the name charlie but I worry that will be so popular he’ll be surrounded by them at school.

[name_m]How[/name_m] much should popularity sway your thinking? :confused:

I think you should go go with what you love. I’d recommend either [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Otto[/name_m] or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Otto[/name_m]. Both are great combos and you can call him [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] or [name_m]Otto[/name_m] either way. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let popularity stop you! And for what it’s worth I work with kids of all ages and have only ever met 2 Charlies; both about 8.

Thank you! This is good advice. It’s interesting that charlie doesn’t seem as common in practice as on paper!

Both names are very cute! Try your best to disregard popularity as a factor. What’s the worst that could happen, he knows another person with his name? most people do! Go with what you love!

I love charlie and was going to use it myself regardless of popularity but decided against it because it reminds me of someone. I think if you like a name and think your kid will like it too, then who cares about popularity :slight_smile:

My vote is with [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] because you love it. I think if you pick an unusual name you have to feel completely confident and in love with it as the right name for your child. If you have doubts about an unusual name, the doubts will likely get compounded as time goes on and people react with surprise, etc., to the name. I think picking a name just because it’s currently unique is dangerous-you never know when a name may rise in popularity. If you are not sure that’s the main reason you like [name_m]Otto[/name_m], maybe ask yourself which name could you still be happy with even if it turned out that both [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_m]Otto[/name_m] became super popular.

I had a similar problem- we waited many days after our baby was born to decide. The name that seemed to best “fit” our little one once he was here was more popular than I had wanted, but I didn’t want to pick a unique name I wasn’t fully confident in just for the sake of originality. I’m still getting used to his name but if we had picked one of the more unusual names from our list, I think the “getting used to it” phase would be much more difficult, because I’d be thinking maybe this name is unusual for a reason and I can’t get used to it because it’s not a very good name.

That said I personally prefer [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] but [name_m]Otto[/name_m] is a fine choice too.

I prefer [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and think it flows better when said, than [name_m]Otto[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m], though I don’t know how it sounds when said together with your surname.

Have you checked the popularity of the name [name_m]Charles[/name_m] in the Social Security records for the most recent year in the state where you live? Obviously the name will be more popular than [name_m]Otto[/name_m], however that doesn’t mean he will be one of four [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]'s in every class… maybe one of two in some classes.

If you decide on [name_m]Otto[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] (also a great name) and you change your mind about calling him [name_m]Otto[/name_m] you can always call him by his middle name, [name_m]Charles[/name_m] ([name_u]Charlie[/name_u].)

Whichever you decide, please use [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and not [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] on the birth certificate.

Close your eyes and on the count of 3 shout the name that comes to mind first. Sounds odd I know but it works.

Thanks all - all really great advice!

Forget popularity and choose the one that speaks to you.