Portia

I really really love this name. When I worked in a preschool, nearly 10 yrs ago now, there was one English mum with a little [name]Portia[/name]. However, now I can only think of the birth control pills which also shares this name.

It’s fabulous!

It is actually on my list but I too worry about it. I’m worried about
the meaning and this horrible association I can’t shake off to a girl
I met this summer. She was very classless and left my place of work
because the systems were too difficult for her. Her name was [name]Porsche[/name]
though.

I love it! It’s got gravitas, it’s elegant, it’s short enough that it doesn’t need diminution.

I like how though it’s not unheard of, it’s extremely unusual when you examine the statistics. I looked it up on the US SSA name engine and it doesn’t register in the top 1000. Which can be comforting to anyone trying to pick a classic name that’s not in danger of suddenly making its way into the top 10.

Some books list the root as being “port,” others “portion,” others “porcina” (pig) - basically nobody knows for sure and it’s all guesswork. Which would only go against it if you want a name with really provable and exact meaning I suppose.

The usual reservation is that some might think it’s the car, but frankly if someone isn’t educated enough to know the name [name]Portia[/name], do you care about their opinion?? :smiley:

[name]Portia[/name] is nice! :slight_smile:

I’m not a fan but it’s not the worst name I have heard.

I agree with you! I see [name]Portia[/name]'s appeal, but I’m just not a fan.