Positive Comments Only Please - Ginger Grace

I’ve posted before on this sight and others and it seems my favorite name “[name]Ginger[/name]” gets negative comments…

My husband and I positively love it for our [name]April[/name] baby and think it is so stylish, but i keep getting negs from these boards and some family (my mom is one of them.)

It’s really getting me depressed as i’ve always wanted a [name]Ginger[/name] after a stunningly beautiful camp counselor I had. I’ve had the name in my head over 20 years!

I’ve seen a ton of craziness on these message boards. Names that should be a criminal offense to be given to a sweet helpless baby! Names that nobody would ever be able to pronounce yet everyone thinks they are great (???)

If this name is not your style or “NMS” then please do not respond.

If you think this name is fresh, effervescent, or glamorous like I do then please tell me you think so.

My husband refuses to think of any other name. This will be my only daughter (i have 2 sons) so my only chance here! I’ve been trying out other names from nameberry and he doesn’t and I don’t love any of them like we do [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name]! I keep thinking people will say “I love that name” but that’s not the reaction I’m getting. It’s making me said - i’ve always dreamed of a [name]Ginger[/name] :frowning:

Any encouragement out there is great!!!

Like you, I know the sweetest person named [name]Ginger[/name]. I love it!

I think [name]Ginger[/name] is great! It’s a fun name, and different.

What I hate is when people have their hearts set on something that really resonates with them, for whatever reason, and other people dump on it.

Go [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name]! You could even use the nickname [name]Gigi[/name] (G.G.) if it tickles your fancy. Or not!

Like most people on here, I have loved names my entire life. I think [name]Ginger[/name] is a great name and even better that you have loved it for so long. I think if you named a baby girl something else you would regret that you didn’t name her [name]Ginger[/name] however if you name her [name]Ginger[/name] I don’t think you will regret it. Does that make sense? I was born in 1971 and when I was little there was a girl named [name]Ginger[/name] with a brother named [name]David[/name] and that was the only [name]Ginger[/name] I have ever known. I think it would be great to have an uncommon but normal name. A name where you can call someone up and say, “this is [name]Ginger[/name]” and not have to say, “[name]Ginger[/name] P. or the [name]Ginger[/name] with blonde hair.” I’m [name]Aimee[/name] and there was always alot of Amys/Aimees around. Anyway, hope this helps…Go for [name]Ginger[/name]!!

I think it’s cute, and I love the nickname [name]Gigi[/name].

I just wanted to say, however, in response to your first post, that I think that if you don’t want negative comments then don’t post on here quite simply. People were giving you their honest opinions, which is what you wanted in your original thread. This is message board where people give their opinions on names so that is what you are going to get. And the other people on here are not at all mean or rude, just responding to your questions of their opinion on the name [name]Ginger[/name].

Anyway, that being said, go for [name]Ginger[/name], it’s unusual, and it sounds like you love the name, have good associations with it, and will really regret not using it. So do it, regardless of what others say :slight_smile:

I don’t know what you mean by positive comments - help is positive. Sometimes people get overly cautionary, which is what I would call my previous comments on the name. If you consider all the information and opinions given and you love it still, then it is clearly the right decision. When you grow doubts, then maybe it was the wrong name, or you found a critical piece of information before you put pen to birth certificate. I think doubts are the worst, when you love a name and the image you get and everyone tells you it’s terrible and you believe them, and pick something simpler or more adhering to someone else’s style. This group doesn’t all think as one - but sometimes our tastes do run similar.

I do think [name]Ginger[/name] is everything you want it to be. [name]Just[/name] because I would regard it as a nickname doesn’t mean it’s not also a real formal name in some cases. FYI - the posters of nameberry tend to like very clearly formal names with a choice or two of nicknames, sometimes to the point of suggesting short names for nicknames of longer names. I tend to dislike this practice because then the short names could become regarded as “only” nicknames and seem unprofessional or insubstantial eventually - they already seem too short and insubstantial to some people.

[name]Ginger[/name] seems to me on two sides. It is a nickname, like [name]Molly[/name] is a nickname. But [name]Molly[/name] is generally regarded as a formal name on its own now, with no ill effects, and those called [name]Mary[/name] are seldom “nicknamed” anything anymore, because the name is so short and there aren’t dozens of [name]Marys[/name] in the family and community to keep track. Not like [name]Elizabeth[/name]. A person now can be named [name]Eliza[/name] or [name]Beth[/name] and nobody really minds if these names are not short for something else. [name]Lizzie[/name] is a little weak. I also regard [name]Lola[/name] as a nickname for [name]Laura[/name] or [name]Dolores[/name] or something like that, but it is being taken up as a stand-alone name in its own right.

I think [name]Ginger[/name] can be also, if that’s what you love. We are here for advice, but you are the parent - do what comes naturally to you, what feels best to you and best suited for your daughter. I really like the sound of [name]Ginger[/name] and the imagery you describe, and I think it is on the side of [name]Molly[/name], [name]Beth[/name], and [name]Lola[/name] for a full name. I am getting used to it, but this has nothing to do with me and my comfort. Regardless, I think you love it enough to endure certain amounts of helpful advice and not doubt your preferences. To me, that is awesome.

When people caution against, they are making sure you know everything you need to know to help your decision: sometimes this information is very important to at least acknowledge if you were unaware, but sometimes, it’s just regarding fashion and custom and other people’s preferences and suggestions - you don’t have to listen to it, but you should expect it when you ask a question.

I agree with this. Generally when someone posts about a name, that are soliciting a response, good and bad. If you were so certain of the name [name]Ginger[/name], why would you post in the first place? In looking at some of your responses to others posts, you have used words like Harsh, and Horror show to describe their name ideas. If you are so offended by other’s opinions on your names, maybe you should be a little more sensitive to the other posters as well. This is a place for constructive criticism, and if you can’t handle it, you should post in the area called “what you named your baby”. People are much less opinionated once the baby has been officially named.

If you love the name [name]Ginger[/name], then go for it, but don’t expect that people will always agree with you regarding the name. That is the beauty of choice.

First, I am going to do exactly what you said not to do, and that is give my honest opinion (but don’t worry, you will like my final conclusion). When I first read the title of your post, I initially decided that I did not like [name]Ginger[/name]. It reminded me of [name]Ginger[/name] Spice, or of how kids made fun of a red-headed girl I knew saying “…it’s because you’re a ginger” and sometimes adding “because ginger’s have no souls.” Now, this is my personal experience with the name/word (besides the obvious meaning of ginger) and that is why I had my initial response.

However, after reading your post as well as the responding posts, I had a change of heart. [name]Ginger[/name], to me, sounds very gentle and kind. I picture a cute and pretty girl. The good thing about this name though is that it can be versatile. Your [name]Ginger[/name] could make it anything she wanted, be whoever she wants to be.

If [name]Ginger[/name] is what you have always dreamed of naming your daughter and, even after hearing negative reviews, you still love the name just the same, go for it. Your family may dislike the name, but once they get to know your beautiful [name]Ginger[/name], they won’t be able to see her as anything else.

I like the idea of GG as a nickname, but I love [name]Ginny[/name]. Maybe if you talk to your family about the nicknames that come with it, they may be more comfortable, though in the end it is your decision whether or not they agree with it.

I totally agree with this.

Also, I don’t know if you’re aware of the teasing associated with the name [name]Ginger[/name], but I thought you might want to know before you settle on the name. I’m in high school, and unfortunately, I do hear the term ‘ginger’ being negatively thrown around about red haired people. I have to say that right now, at my school, a girl with the name [name]Ginger[/name] would definitely be teased. Of course, it’s just a fad, and it’ll probably be heard much less, if ever, by the time your daughter is in school. Also, it could be just a regional thing.

Having said this, it seems [name]Ginger[/name] is ‘the name’ for you. I really like it, (personally, as a nickname for [name]Ginevra[/name]), but it does work as a standalone as well. I’d much rather see a little [name]Ginger[/name] than another [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Riley[/name], and I think [name]Gigi[/name] is a very cute nickname!

I like it! I think of [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Rogers[/name],so it has old Hollywood glamour to me. Lots of old fashioned names are seeing a revival and many are not even half as cute as [name]Ginger[/name]. I like it for the reasons you gave. I knew a [name]Ginger[/name] in college and she was fun, spunky and the only one with this name, so she stood out. I’m also a sucker for the possible nickname [name]Gigi[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t be dissuaded by strangers opinions. What you and your husband like best is the right way to go. As for your mom, once the baby arrives she will be so in love with her she won’t be able to imagine her as anything else. Good luck!

I am well out of school, but I have never heard of this. It’s my impression, albeit on internet forums, that the term “ginger” to refer to those with red hair is sort of a “new” fad (not really new, but back in common usage - I’m in the US), and gingers are not teased about the color of their hair; it is just a cute slang, but not a mean or insulting one as far as I’ve been able to tell. I can’t back that up with a lot of experience or exposure to school-aged children, so I hope that is what is primarily true. I’ve also never heard redheads in general being teased for their hair color, and if I had red hair and someone thought they’d call me a ginger to hurt my feelings, I think I would laugh at them. That’s like taunting someone who is tall by calling them supermodel.

If you and your husband love it, then that is all that matters and the naysayers will love your little girl no matter what her name is. Good luck!

<I am well out of school, but I have never heard of this. It’s my impression, albeit on internet forums, that the term “ginger” to refer to those with red hair is sort of a “new” fad (not really new, but back in common usage - I’m in the US), and gingers are not teased about the color of their hair; it is just a cute slang, but not a mean or insulting one as far as I’ve been able to tell. I can’t back that up with a lot of experience or exposure to school-aged children, so I hope that is what is primarily true. I’ve also never heard redheads in general being teased for their hair color, and if I had red hair and someone thought they’d call me a ginger to hurt my feelings, I think I would laugh at them. That’s like taunting someone who is tall by calling them supermodel.[/quote]

I think it started more recently on the adult cartoon Family [name]Guy[/name]. And although I do think [name]Ginger[/name] is a pretty name and old-style Hollywood, I have to agree that right now, it is pretty commonly used as an insult to people with red hair. I don’t agree with it, but that’s how it is in my region, and I would want to know that before I named my daughter [name]Ginger[/name]. It’s not a “cute slang” around here–it’s derogatory.

I absolutely love, adore the name [name]Ginger[/name]. It is a name I wish I had the guts to use!

I have already posted and think [name]Ginger[/name] would be a great choice. I am a redhead living in the US and didn’t even think of the redhead connection. I was called firecrotch by school kids but it wasn’t a big deal. I know in the UK the nickname is gingerbush but kids are always going to find something to make fun. Sorry if TMI.

When I was 10, I got my first puppy. She was a dachsund mix and she was ginger-colored so I named her [name]Ginger[/name]. The only person I have ever known by this name was unfortunately a not very nice college-aged kid that Iworked with for a while when I was about 15 years older than her. She was stuck up, jealous, and petty. I saw her recently after a 10 year lapse. She is married to the guy she was dating then and is now the mother of three sons. Unfortunately she still acts the same way although her husband is a sweet man. She could easily have ruined the name for me but I still love it. The only other association I have with the name is the beautiful actress who played [name]Ginger[/name] on Gilligan’s Island. Of course, there is [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Rogers[/name]. It is an uncommon name without being unheard of, and if you love it you should definitely go for it.

I adore [name]Ginger[/name]! I think it is spunky without being tacky or masculine, interesting without being silly (say, Paprika) and it even strikes me as quite glamorous. I have never known anyone called [name]Ginger[/name], but I picture a pretty, friendly, bubbly young woman, or a very sweet little girl.

I love the name so much, actually, that I would use it myself (or more probably one of the names it can come from, such as [name]Virginia[/name] or [name]Genevra[/name]) in a flash, were it not for the red hair abundant in my family. (It feels wrong to name a child with a high chance of having ginger hair, [name]Ginger[/name], to me.)

[name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name] has good flow, and [name]Grace[/name] is a beautiful, classic name.

Good luck, and don’t let people’s comments put you off a name that you love :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] to add that perhaps it is different here in [name]England[/name], but the term ‘ginger hair’ is not negative, but rather exactly the same as saying someone has ‘blonde hair’. It is, however, teasing if pronounced with a G sound, rather than J sound.

([name]Ginger[/name] children are more likely to be called Carrot or Firey, in my personal experience - and we get over it quickly :slight_smile: )

FOR THE RECORD:
calling someone a “ginger” comes from South [name]Park[/name]. Cartman gives a presentation about how “ginger” (or red-haired) kids have no souls and shouldn’t be treated equally. It’s just a parody of the ridiculousness of racism, etc, and quite frankly, I have never heard anyone taking genuine offense at being called a ginger. I don’t think a single person who gets the reference would take it seriously.

That said, if you like the name [name]Ginger[/name], go for it! South [name]Park[/name] will probably be passe by the time she’s in high school.

I love the name [name]Ginger[/name], and I think it is very pretty with [name]Grace[/name]. I love [name]Ginger[/name] on Gilligan’s Island. So glamorous! [name]Gigi[/name] would be a cute nickname. If I were going to name my daughter [name]Ginger[/name], I would give her the full name [name]Virginia[/name] just to give her more choices. She could be [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Ginger[/name], [name]Ginny[/name], [name]Grace[/name], or [name]Gigi[/name]. My daughter is eighteen and she has a bunch of hormonal friends. They can be really nasty, and so it’s great if teenage girls have options about anything, including their names. I named my daughter [name]Laura[/name], and fortunately she loves her name. Her middle name is [name]Elizabeth[/name] which has so many nicknames.
I don’t mind getting criticism on Nameberry because that’s the whole point. It’s just bad when the criticism becomes mean. Then us Nameberryites band together and defend the person who is being criticized.
[name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is a lovely name. I think you should go for it!
Oh, dear, my daughter just came walking by, and I asked her about both [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Ginger[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I don’t think you want to know what she said…