Posy and Winnie?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] [name_f]Posy[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] work for sisters? I love both names, but need some outside opinions!

They’re very cute–I get the appeal, but I’d prefer them as nicknames for [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] and [name_f]Wenona[/name_f], perhaps.

I first read [name_f]Posy[/name_f] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u], which I actually prefer for sisters as [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Posy[/name_f] in one sibset make each other sound very cute- too cute for me. [name_f]Posy[/name_f] feels less like a real stand-alone name and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] sounds very childish, however, in other sibsets both seem like fine names to me.

They both have that cutesy British nickname thing going on, if that works for you. Together they’re a little too cutesy for me, but if they were both nn’s for something longer i wouldn’t mind as much.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] them both for toddlers, but they need some substance as they age. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you want your daughters to be merely decorative or intelligent, creative individuals? I like [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] as a stand alone with a different sibset, but [name_f]Posy[/name_f] is just too cute for my taste.

I think they sound lovely together, but they would be even better with fuller names to go with them

[name_f]Winona[/name_f] and [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] would make great full names for [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Posy[/name_f]. Otherwise, they are far, far too cutesy. Especially together.

I think they sound great together! Personally, I would use something longer with [name_f]Posy[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] as nicknames, but as far as nicknamey names go, I’m less opposed to seeing [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Posy[/name_f] completely on their own as opposed to other names (I think of [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Addie[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_f]Gracie[/name_f], even [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]…). I think they make a great pair!

I really don’t want to pick a fight that turns into one of those long, drawn-out, seemingly-never-to-end name debates, but I take great issue to that. It would be a sad day on [name_f]Earth[/name_f] if we all grew up, forming personalities based upon the names our parents chose. I suppose that means, as a result, I should be utterly boring, unoriginal, blah, uncreative, and even quite a bit masculine? Some of the most brilliant, wonderful kids I know have really trendy, made-up, kre8tiv names. That doesn’t mean that they’ll become the scum of the earth, and that certainly doesn’t mean a [name_f]Posy[/name_f] or a [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] will grow up to be flighty, petulant, or just arm candy.

While really cute (maybe too cute, but it’s only on the boarder for me, and I’m pretty strongly against nicknames as given names), I still see [name_f]Posy[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] as intelligent AND creative. Why couldn’t a [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] or a [name_f]Posy[/name_f] be creative and intelligent? Sure, I’ve rejected both for my list as standalone names. Sure, if it were me, they’d be [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and [name_f]Josefina[/name_f]. But that doesn’t mean someone else can’t use just [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Posy[/name_f].

I think they’re nice together and definitely share the same British nickname factor. I love a lot of nicknames so I see the appeal. I love [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]; but sometimes I wish I liked a longer form. I also like [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], [name_u]Connie[/name_u], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f].

Honestly, that out and out vehement towards names of other styles on this board is very off-putting, and primarily why I don’t frequent nameberry anymore. It’s one thing to assume an identity of a child because of their name; but it’s another to state that the OP is verging on damaging their child.

I am sure my good friend Bonnie who is a dedicated musician, studying social work and has the biggest heart imaginable would have quite a lot say in response. As would the parents of thirteen year-old singer songwriter Connie Talbot.

Think very carefully before you say such things please. That’s a very big assumption and you wouldn’t appreciate it being said about names you love.

I love them together! I would lean toward choosing longer “full” names myself, but [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Posy[/name_f] make an absolutely adorable sibset.

I think [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Posy[/name_f] sound great together. They share the same feel, of light-spirited girls with old-fashioned names.

Sorry, but [name_f]Posy[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] sound like pets, or cartoon characters.
It’s not to my taste, but if you like it, who cares what others think…?
If you are in the UK, the nicknamey names fit right in. Longer names would be nice, but if those are the names you like, and are going to use, then longer names really are not necessary.
HTH

I think it is a cute sibset. I adore [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], especially as a full given name.
I am neutral on [name_f]Posy[/name_f]; but it does not seem too out there to use it as a full name.

I love them both—together and alone–long or short–very cute, sweet, fun names…

I think they work perfectly on sisters, and I like both names!

I like [name_f]Posey[/name_f] more, but I think it is not suitable for an adult, I think [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] would work as a toddler and an adult.

[name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is cute, I do prefer it as a nickname but I can see it working fine as a first name, she could go by [name_u]Win[/name_u] if she wanted something more serious. [name_f]Posy[/name_f] is not my style, it just seems insubstantial, but it’s ok as a nickname.