Predictions for the 2011 stats

What names do you expect to see rise? [name]Do[/name] you think there will be any changes in the top 10, top 20? Include wishful thinking predictions if you’d like. :slight_smile:

I’m expecting [name]Sophia[/name] to take the #1 crown for girls this year; think [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Natalie[/name] are rising, and one of those may break the Top 10 - probably replacing [name]Madison[/name], which seems to have lost steam. I think we’ll see [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Avery[/name] and (unfortunately) [name]Nevaeh[/name] in the Top 20 as well. And I’m guessing, based on her meteoric rise the past couple years, that [name]Isla[/name] will be somewhere around #150.

For boys, I say [name]Mason[/name] definitely makes the Top 10 this year. I’ve been hearing it constantly. I’m interested to see the full stats outside the Top 1000, too, to see if I’m right that [name]Gale[/name] is going to make a comeback for boys via the Hunger Games.

I’m hoping Sophia finally tops the charts. I kind of don’t think she will, but I’m kind of tired hearing people complain about Isabelle’s popularity, its closeness to the mega-popular Isabella, etc. Even if Isabella is back to number 2 I’d be happy, lol. And I hope Olivia starts dropping, too. It dropped one spot last year, and I hope it goes down another spot or two.

I would love to see Nevaeh, Avery (because I want to use it for a boy!), Jaelyn, Braelyn, Kaylin, Mikayla (and company), etc. drop, too. I would love for Arianne, Emmeline, and Esme to get some love, too.

I think Leah and Autumn are going to rise, too. I’ve heard so many this year. I don’t know a lot of kids, but it seems like every other girl that was born this year was either a Leah or an Autumn!

I’d also love to see some of the Hunger Games names–like Johanna, Finnick, Primrose, Gale, Effie, etc.–get some love. Maybe the focus will turn from them away from Twilight…

[name]Sophia[/name] would be an excellent number one. I think [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Harper[/name] are going to be big climbers for the girls, and hopefully [name]Madison[/name] will drop. I think [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] have the best chances of breaking the top ten.

I agree with [name]Mason[/name] breaking the top ten. I think [name]Henry[/name] will be a big climber for the boys. I wouldn’t mind if [name]Jayden[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name] disappeared from the top ten to be replaced with… [name]Mason[/name] and [name]Elijah[/name]? [name]Elijah[/name] would be pretty drastic, but I know of a lot of Elijahs born lately.

Me, too! Not exactly lately… but I have literally met at least 20 Elijahs in the past 2-3 years. I don’t know how it isn’t top 10 yet.

I am not sure about predictions… but when does the new list come out? I am VERY curious to see it lol

I agree so much with this.

[name]Sophia[/name] as number one, or [name]Emma[/name].
[name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Harper[/name] are going to jump.
[name]Caroline[/name] might see a bit of an increase too, and most definitely [name]Vivienne[/name]. I second [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] in the top ten.

[name]Henry[/name] will probably increase as well.

I believe it’s out in mid [name]May[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking [name]Ava[/name] will be in the top three. I see and hear it a ton.

I don’t think the boy’s names will change a lot, they never do.

I guess this doesn’t exactly relate to me in the UK but it does intrigue me to see what’s popular elsewhere…

Things almost seem to level out though, with some of you predicting [name]Sophia[/name] to be #1, it’s already #14 over here rising 13 places in 2012 so it wouldn’t surprise me if it hit top 10 here too, along with [name]Isla[/name] (#16).

[name]Lily[/name] is #2 here already and I cant wait for it to drop in popularity, the same with [name]Olivia[/name] too. [name]Ella[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name] names are incredibly popular here too and I really dislike them. I was so surprised to see that [name]Amelia[/name] is only #41 in the US, do you think that will rise much? It’s #9 here and I think will rise even more, I know of like 5 [name]Amelia[/name]'s under 1 years old.

As for the boys name the US Top 20 seems much more traditional still, do you feel that US parents tend to stay safe with boys names?

I think parents in the UK seem to like the very modern sounding names, often names which get referred to as very American; [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Dylan[/name], [name]Mason[/name], [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Logan[/name], [name]Kayden[/name]. Alongside the more nicknamey names; [name]Alfie[/name], [name]Archie[/name], [name]Max[/name], [name]Jake[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Ollie[/name], [name]Kai[/name], [name]Bobby[/name], [name]Frankie[/name] and [name]Zac[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think this trend will cross over to the US?

It also seriously surprises me that [name]Taylor[/name] #36 and [name]Riley[/name] #40 are so high up the girls list, yet [name]Taylor[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] are some of the hottest boys names in the UK!!

I think one of the biggest jumpers will be [name]Elliot[/name]/[name]Elliott[/name]. I think it’s in the 300s now, wouldn’t surprise me if it jumps up to the low 200s, even 100s. I’ve seen it on a LOT of lists!

I was going to say that the -aden names may die down a bit but someone I know just had a [name]Brayden[/name], so it’s not going away yet! Haha.

I’m expecting [name]Alice[/name] to go up more … maybe even break the top 100? It’s been rising so fast.

@sheflieswithherownwings I 100% agree with re modern sounding names being termed being “American” with the exception of [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name]. [name]Dylan[/name] is a Welsh name and [name]Aiden[/name] Irish! I guess the mass immigration to welsh and Irish people to the US has resulted in them seeming more “American”.

I agree with you re the girls names. For example [name]Olivia[/name] is a lovely name but I’m so bored of hearing it! [name]Freya[/name] is another one. I just think “read more books people!”.

I have a feeling [name]Isabella[/name] is going to get toppled by [name]Sophia[/name] for #1 place. Names like [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Natalie[/name], and [name]Mia[/name] will probably rise up in ranks, while here’s to hoping [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Madison[/name], and [name]Ava[/name] will drop, but may not be too likely. [name]Virtue[/name] names like [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Faith[/name] have been a bit on the decline lately, so maybe they will drop? [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Autumn[/name]… most likely to be moving on up.

For boys, I have a bad sinking feeling [name]Jayden[/name] will jump up to #2 or so, same goes with other [name]Aiden[/name] type names. (honestly though, you’d think [name]Aidan[/name]/[name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Ayden[/name] would have run its course by now…) [name]Noah[/name] I see climbing the ranks, [name]Anthony[/name] declining.

Yes, I know that [name]Aiden[/name] is an Irish name and [name]Dylan[/name] a Welsh name but they just seem to fit in with that sort of style of name if that makes sense. I’d only ever heard of or met a handful of [name]Aidan[/name]'s until the -aiden names started to pop up and I began to lose count of them. So it’s kind of lost it’s history and meaning because of the trendiness, otherwise I’d love [name]Aidan[/name].

In the last three days I’ve seen [name]Aydan[/name], [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Ayden[/name], [name]Hayden[/name], and [name]Jaden[/name]. Not to mention, other recent births of [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Grayson[/name], and [name]Crayton[/name]. Pretty sure the trend is still going strong. Also pretty sure in 5 years kindergarten classes will be very, very confusing places. :frowning:

[name]Alexis[/name]