Pregnancy test reaction?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I’m not a mom and I’m not pregnant but I am curious as to how you reacted when you found out you were pregnant?

If it’s too personal you don’t have to reply.

1 Like

Excited and relieved because we had been trying to conceive for 4 months.

3 Likes

I was on cloud nine each time. Almost a giddy experience!

3 Likes

The first time, despite trying for three/four months and being very disappointed with each negative and feeling like I was probably pregnant this time, I was in total shock and thought something along the lines of “What have we done?!” The second time was similar honestly, but it was our first time trying for him so I think my shock was more that I was pregnant the first try. Very happy/excited once the initial shock wore off!

2 Likes

We weren’t trying but just had a feeling I should take a test- hadn’t even missed my period yet! I took one at about 2 in the morning and thought I saw the faintest faintest double line so woke my husband up to ask him if he could see it too :joy:
He was in complete denial but I took another test in the morning and the line was slightly darker. Third test the next day was unmistakable.
I was surprisingly calm and excited from the first test. Husband was distraught for about 6 weeks and then really excited. (Btw he is slightly autistic so suprises/changes of routine/unexpected events have a big affect on him).
We’re both super excited about becoming a family of three in [name_u]November[/name_u] :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

We went into marriage trying. Having been a teacher prior to children I had more then one occasion of parents confiding to me that they never realized how long TTC would take… so with our first, a likely honeymoon baby, husband was more ready then I was. For about a week he kept saying he had a suspicion and called his brother about what test to take. I relented and took it and according to hubby the line undeniably showed up rather instantly…

With the 2nd and 3rd, we also went in TTC but hubby wasn’t as on his game. Each time I took the test with my youngest at that time in hand and was able to tell them that they were a big sibling and trying to devise ways to tell Hubby. Although TTC I think he was shocked each time but also equally excited as Inhave been also.

I don’t think the shock of pregnancy really hits for me until the weeks right before delivery. Like wait… soak this all in because very soon it’s all going to change. Whereas initially 9 months / 40 weeks seems very in the distant…

2 Likes

In both cases, the first reaction was definitely surprise.

Especially with the first, as hubby and I were in the midst of travelling and had parted ways to experience different things. Obviously conception had happened just prior to this separation. I was spending the month hiking across Spain when I found out, a special experience to have with the knowledge of who was accompanying me. I waited to tell OH in person when we met in the airport, and his reaction was one of total shock followed quickly by total elation. The nerves and “what have we done” set in shortly thereafter.

With our second, we had just tentatively started TTC. I guess we’re both pretty fertile, because it happened very quickly. Could have been the first try. I hadn’t missed my period yet, but I just had that feeling. He was adamant that we shouldn’t bother with a test yet, but it was pretty unmistakable when we looked it, together this time. Surprise, definitely. Elation, definitely. And then the reality of “here we go again” :flushed:

2 Likes

We weren’t particularly trying but not preventing it either, so for months I would periodically take a test just to see and had gotten used to seeing a negative test. So when I took my first positive test it was very early in my pregnancy, I took it looked at it thought it was another negative, set it aside and continued with my morning routine hair/make up etc. went to check it one more time before I tossed it and saw the FAINTEST little pink line, and honestly had NO reaction to it. I had expected to be excited/nervous, but it took a
few weeks for it to become real and for the excitement/nervousness to set in. At the time it was just so anti climatic, I didn’t feel pregnant, nothing changed, and I had to wrap my head around it

4 Likes

Shock and surprise - we weren’t really trying, more just coming off the pill early as I know it can take a few months to get back to a normal cycle if you’ve been on it a long time. And it was our first month of that so it was more a “it worked?” initially, then a “what have we done getting pregnant in the middle of a pandemic?” But once that wore off we’re both really excited for our first baby.

5 Likes

The first time I was completely shocked and terrified, because it was a surprise and I was already 10 weeks pregnant when I found out.
The second time I was shocked too, because we’d only been trying for about a month.
The third ime I was really excited, no shock this time :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was nervous as all hell when I found out I was pregnant. I’m a young soon to be mom, 19, and my initial thought was that I’m not at all ready for this. I was going to get an abortion without telling my boyfriend because of how afraid I was of his reaction, but I just couldn’t do it. It just felt so wrong not letting him have a say or even know. Once I talked to him and he said he wanted to do this, I felt so much more ready to take it on. It’s a really scary thing if you’re not expecting it, but it becomes more exciting when you let go of the fear

5 Likes

Proud of you for all the times in your story you mention not letting fear win. [name_f]Thankful[/name_f] for you and for the baby your carrying. Honestly, it can be scary in ways no matter how many you’ve had or how old you are. I’m 34 and just had my third and the days and weeks leading up to my delivery day were filled with tempting what if thoughts. [name_m]Just[/name_m] remember you got this… it won’t be easy… raising children never is but oh the possibilities when you let go of the fear… really feel like your last sentence could be framed and put on a banner somewhere. Good luck!

3 Likes

You sound like a very strong person–probably stronger than you even know. Blessings to you and your sweet baby!

4 Likes

@Alix2016 @voughtlori thank you both for your kindness towards me and my little one! [name_m]Even[/name_m] with its ups and downs, pregnancy and preparing to be a mom has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life

4 Likes