Pretentious Baby Names

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] All!

Tell me what one name you think is the MOST pretentious, snobby, or preppy. I know this is in girls’ names, but feel free to comment a boy’s name as well!

3 Likes

Idk why, but [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]

If I have to pick one? [name_f]Maddy[/name_f].

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] for sure.

To me, either [name_f]Brittany[/name_f] or [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]

[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]

[name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]

[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. I’m sure there are some nice girls with this name though.

I was once told [name_m]Lucius[/name_m] for boy is pretentious, which I kind of agree. It’s still on my list.

I think if we take pretentious as “wish to try too hard to sound classy, richer or holier” then I think some nameberry favorites counts.

I also think many on my list count as pretentious: [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], Cordelia… I think the longer the (unusual) name, the more pretentious they sound. But I can’t help myself from liking such names.

1 Like

[name_u]Sloane[/name_u] & [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]

None of the above names sound remotely snobby or pretentious to me! I was expecting to see Mélisandre, [name_f]Annunziata[/name_f], [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], Léopoldine, [name_f]Sheherazade[/name_f], [name_f]Esclarmonde[/name_f], Chrysanthemum… (all beautiful but just a lot of name!)

7 Likes

[name_f]Tiffany[/name_f], [name_f]Brittany[/name_f], or [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u]

I’d say something like [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] or [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] — those are one-person names that I would definitely find pretentious if given to a child today.

3 Likes

The only one that really springs to mind is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. It’s not her fault though. When my second was a baby, my husband and I visited this crunchy little cloth diaper store and the greeter was wearing her toddler. She introduced herself and then her baby with the most airy, pretentious tone, “THIS is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_m]Iver[/name_m]. [name_m]Iver[/name_m] means WINTER.” For reference, this was when Bon [name_m]Iver[/name_m] was huge and literally everyone knew [name_m]Iver[/name_m] meant winter. The whole interaction was so weird and forced and my husband and I still chuckle about it any time we hear the name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (which btw really is a lovely name and I’m sure very wearable if your mom is not an unbearably dramatic hipster).

9 Likes

I think [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]. No offence at all but it just sounds snobbish and nosy.

2 Likes

I don’t really find any names as pretentious or snobby. I do find names preppy, but to me that’s different than being pretentious or snobby. I have a lot of experience with preppy names, since my entire family has super preppy names.
Preppy Names:
[name_u]Addison[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_u]Kendall[/name_u]
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_u]Leighton[/name_u]
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u]
[name_u]Reese[/name_u]
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
[name_u]Tatum[/name_u]
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]

1 Like

I feel like [name_u]Liberty[/name_u] is one that grinds my gears lately but I think it’s because I celebrity I dislike name their kid that and of course when a celebrity does it more people bandwagon on and its like…ugh this. It’s a perfectly lovely name I’m the hater.

This is what I thought of too :sweat_smile: Uppity sort of, country club type names!

Muffy is another that comes to mind because of different pop culture references!

I find a lot of more unusual Greek mythology names to be pretty uppity too :grimacing: Circe, Aphrodite, Atalanta, Andromeda, Halcyon, Hermione, Nephele, Iolanthe, Pandora, etc. I feel like this is influenced by the London Telegraph birth announcements though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

[name_f]Crystal[/name_f] and [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]

[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Jenna[/name_f], for some reason sound very snobby to me.
For a boy, names that end in -ton. [name_u]Braxton[/name_u], for example.

1 Like