Pretentious Baby Names

@julieghoulie730, I never dreamt my name (Jenna) would make it on this list. Is there a US President’s daughter named Jenna?.. I’m Aussie. :smiley:
Maybe from reading [name_f]English[/name_f] Women’s Weekly short love stories as a child, I grant you some credence with [name_f]Pippa[/name_f].

There are certain celebrity names that I feel are just super pretentious.
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]
[name_f]Oprah[/name_f]
[name_f]Celene[/name_f]
[name_f]Cher[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f] / [name_f]Angelica[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]

Extremely long names (in cultures where they aren’t the norm)
Really obscure mythological or historical names (again, in cultures where they aren’t the norm). In the UK there’s a journalist who named her daughter Campaspe (the name of a lover of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] the Great, I think), which seems super pretentious to me.

1 Like

[name_f]Giselle[/name_f] or [name_f]Portia[/name_f]

1 Like

Haha, sorry! Yeah, I guess my association is with [name_f]Jenna[/name_f] [name_m]Bush[/name_m] and some girls I knew growing up.

god forbid you aren’t like everybody else, a crime, a crime I say.

Yeah, lock them up!

Seriously, nowhere did I say it was a crime. :thinking: I just find a name like Campaspe on an Anglo-Saxon child pretentious, personally. Surely Nameberry is about sharing opinions and we don’t have to agree.

1 Like

my point is that not everybody wants to honor their own culture. Sometimes insisting on respecting your own culture clashes with our wish to be unique from the rest of culture. You can’t sit on chairs called traditional and individual at the same time, and I do see conflicts with traditional and individual identity all the time where I live. Up to open hostility if someone wish to be unique beyond tradition.

and yes, Campaspe sounds pretentious, but not because child is Anglo [name_u]Saxon[/name_u], it’s because it’s try too hard name with reasoning too vague. [name_f]My[/name_f] problem wasn’t with your opinion, but your reasoning. Yes, it can be really pretentious going for all uniqueness, but there’s certain gradation of uniqueness before it becomes pretentious that goes beyond “Greek name on Anglo-Saxon kid”

Lots of votes for [name_f]Tiffany[/name_f] and [name_f]Brittany[/name_f] here, which surprises me. Those names are sort of more associated with a country bumpkin vibe for me.

Agreed with this! Anneliese comes to mind? A personal fave, but still, sounds pretentious. :laughing:
Thus, no hate to pretentious names!

every name that ends in -ey.

Oh and [name_f]Iris[/name_f], I have a very special place in my heart for the name ‘Iris’ where it just gets me angry thinking about it

i feel this way about [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] / McKenna / [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] / [name_u]Kendall[/name_u]

all the “Ken” names, but i still like some of them and it doesn’t change that