"Prime Names"

I heard someone use the term “prime name”; turns out what that means is a name that does not easily lend to a nickname (the analogy being that in mathematics a “prime number” does not factor down easily).

Here’s Nameberry’s “Names With No Nicknames” list (i.e. examples of “prime names”):

Any names that you like that you think would qualify as “prime”?

Two of my husband’s picks: [name]Morgan[/name] and [name]Connor[/name]. [name]Morgan[/name]'s on nameberry’s list. Actually, the fact that there aren’t any nicknames for these names is one of the reasons they’re not my favorites. That, and they’re too popular.

[name]Henry[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Sean[/name], [name]John[/name] and [name]Ian[/name]. I know [name]Henry[/name] can technically be nicknamed to [name]Harry[/name], and [name]John[/name] to [name]Jack[/name], but I don’t think that’s usually done now - [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Harry[/name], [name]John[/name] and [name]Jack[/name], are seen by most people as separate names. I’m in [name]Britain[/name], and nicknames are used overwhelmingly here, whether related to the actual name or not; these are pretty much the only names that I never see nicknamed.

[name]Auburn[/name]

In the US, [name]Henry[/name] often becomes [name]Hank[/name] and [name]John[/name] may become [name]Johnny[/name].