Priscilla? Is it too old-fashioned?

I’ve always loved the name [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f], but I know that not everyone does because it’s so old fashioned. Anyway, I considered using it for the main character in a book, but was told by a family member that it’s ugly and no one would read a book with that name? I think that belief was a little extreme, but I changed the name anyway because I wasn’t too attached to the character and name yet. I’d just like to hear some opinions on the name [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]. Is it too old-fashioned? Is it destined to be perpetually stuffy? It’s always been a favorite, so I’d just like some opinions!

It does seem like one of those names that has a pretty strong connotation with old ladies and stuffy mansions. BUT! Names can change connotations over time. You’re not using it on a baby (although it would be totally ok if you did), you’re using it on a fictional character (which is a different kind of baby for us writers)! I don’t think it would stop people from reading the book. If it’s a favorite, you should definitely use it in the future!

I quite like it! Definitely interesting and vivacious enough for a book character!

I was born in the late 90’s (live in the US). The only person I could reference with this name my whole life was [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] [name_u]Presley[/name_u]. Before I found out she was way underage when she started dating [name_m]Elvis[/name_m], I just got fabulous vibes from it. (I still do but now I feel sad for 14 year old her). “Old fashioned” names that are perfectly fine but that I would never use are names like [name_f]Carol[/name_f], [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f], [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], etc. …but [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] feels posh and retro to me, a la [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]. I would honestly consider it for a baby, but since you’re talking about characters I think it would make a great character name as well. especially if she is sassy and classy- though I could see it for a tough leading lady too.

I don’t think [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] is too old-fashioned. To me “too old-fashioned” would mean very dated names like [name_f]Shirley[/name_f], [name_f]Bertha[/name_f] and [name_f]Doris[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] is in that category, at all.

I like [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]. To me, it’s a classic-but-uncommon Biblical name. It’s familiar, but it’s never been overly popular. And the association with [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] [name_u]Presley[/name_u] is cool.

I would definitely read a book that had a MC called [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]!

I actually like the name [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]. I like the nn [name_f]Prisca[/name_f] too. :slight_smile: Which is funny because I believe [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] is actually the diminutive of [name_f]Prisca[/name_f]. I’ve only ever met one [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] in my life and it was when I was a kid and she was the same age as me.

I don’t think it’s too old fashioned. The only [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] I know is around 10.

Thanks so much everyone! You made me feel better and I’m going to use it for a future main character. I really like @whatchamacallit’s suggestion of the nn [name_f]Prisca[/name_f]. I like it better then [name_f]Prissy[/name_f] or [name_f]Cilla[/name_f]!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]!

1 Like

I understand the connotation. It’s the same with every name though. With stories, the glorious thing is that it doesn’t matter. Go with what you want and what you like. You can even write it into the story. I have a character with a bit of an out there name and he has a few people balk at it like “is that seriously your first name?” and he has to sigh and say yes haha. [name_m]Just[/name_m] go with whatever you enjoy!