Profiles

I wish we had profiles!
A lot of sites have it so you can click on someone’s user name and taken to their profile - it may list the last 10 or 20 posts by the person or which threads they are active in. They may have an interesting website to share, and avatar or picture so we can see how lovely we are (or what our favorite flower or cartoon character is, lol, if one doesn’t post photos of themselves on the internet, that should be ok too).

Not every site has private messaging, but that would be so useful - sometimes you want to say something to someone about their post or just say hi, nice to talk to you. You might have a question to them but you don’t want to “threadjack,” so you take it to PM, and we can share email addresses without posting them publicly or having to ask you to send that along to them when you have a spare second. The larger the community gets, and the longer some of us have been here and plan to stay, it only feels natural to become friends with them outside the bounds of our forum posts. With the matters of privacy, I don’t share my last name, or most of the names of my family members in a public forum, or where to send me a letter. I share that info on a one-to-one basis, but not somewhere anyone can do an internet search.

We also have a place here for our own “stuff,” and we can make things like our lists public - but if we had profiles, you can see some specific person’s lists, if you want to know their tastes, and they have them set to public.

Right now, the lists don’t seem to do a lot of good - you can record them for yourself, and then if someone is looking up a name, they can see it is on some people’s lists. Unless you put your name in the name of your list, you can’t tell whose list it is, so it can be uninteresting to click on a random list called “Names I like” - a lot of lists are like that. [name]Jill[/name], who made a thread because she can’t get her lists named, and I imagine others having trouble naming their lists, makes it hard to spot someone’s list on the list of lists! Bleh, hard to get it out!

Can’t do a search on “[name]Karen[/name]'s Lists” and see the lists I’ve made. At least if I could click on a name, I could see someone’s lists, whether they are titled or not.

Anyway, I just see a lot of frustration here about not being able to interact and make friends, or to connect on a personal level. I think all or some of these profile abilities would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That is such a good idea!! I second it!

That is a really great idea. I think it would be fun if the profiles had the option of including our own children’s names as well, for those who would want to share.

[name]Karen[/name], that’s a great idea! :slight_smile: I’m still in mourning over not being able to name my lists. :frowning:

I’m having trouble naming lists, too, and I think profiles would be a lovely idea!

Ditto the list-naming issue and great idea [name]Karen[/name]!

I’m bumping this! Similar - or exactly the same - idea that [name]Lyndsay[/name] had, and I think this would be a wonderful, well-used addition to NB. Good thinking, ladies!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I’m going to re-second this because I want it so bad!

We’re actually considering a lot of new features!

Profiles would be awesome!! Great idea

Profiles would be awesome! That way we could find memebers easily!

I’d really love it if we had a private messaging feature. I’m fairly new on here and I’d love to discuss some of my favourite combinations, but I’m wary about putting them out there on the internet for all to see …

This is one area that i feel Nameberry is behind on.

I have wished many times to be able to visit the profiles of some of the folks I keep posting with. It would be great to see people’s updates, lists, favorite links.

It would be fun to send someone a private message if you didn’t want to post in a thread for everyone to see.

It would also be great if you could add your favorite people and have an option to make your list private, but visible to favorites only.

I WAS [name]JUST[/name] ABOUT TO POST THIS SAME THING I [name]HOPE[/name] WE USE PROFILES!!

Hoorah-Hooray! Very good, can’t wait to see (I would also hope people could vote on our names, or comment on our lists via our profiles.

Re-bump!

The lack of profiles (and private messaging!) is driving me crazy, because I’ll read a great forum post by someone, or want to ask someone specific about something, and be unable to do that. AND I keep clicking on usernames, because I’m so used to them being links to profiles. This would be amazing!!

All you have to do when you want to name a list is click on the title of it while you are making it. You should be able to change the name of it. I did (:

I agree, I’d love us to have profiles :slight_smile:

I’m absolutely thrilled you’ve added this, [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]. The new site looks great!

[name]Auburn[/name]