Pronounciation of Evelyn

[name]Just[/name] wondering how everyone pronounces [name]Evelyn[/name]?
I say EV-[name]LIN[/name] but I’ve had a lot of people disagree with me on that one! [name]How[/name] do you pronounce it?
Would you spell it [name]Evlyn[/name] to get my pn? Thanks

i pronounce it Ev-a-lyn with an extra syllabyle

I pronounce it Ev-eh-lyn, but it’s definitely more of a regional accent thing. The -eh- part is very subtle; it’s not even one syllable. If I say it fast, it comes out as ev-lin… it’s kind of like Amel-ya vs. Amel-ee-a-- it depends on your accent; there aren’t really two different pronunciations. I would NEVER change the spelling of a name, since it transforms a classic, elegant name into tryndee mess. I don’t really think you have anything to worry about!

Ev-eh-lin. I can see it pronounced Ev-a-lin. I dont really undertsnad the Ev-[name]Lin[/name] pronounciation as you miss the whole middle letter! lol. The way i pronounce it, i dont even think about it evelyn. just simple and quiet is how i would explain the “eh” noise. But if you want Ev-lin pronouciation then spell it [name]Evlin[/name]. [name]Evlyn[/name] looks off. Buuut [name]Evlin[/name] looked a little bit like evil. Hmm i dont know. I prefere the [name]Evelyn[/name] spelling and the ev-eh-lin or ev-a-lin pronouncation. If you like ev-a-lin you could spell [name]Evalyn[/name]. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I said this name a lot trying to see. In my mind, I say Ev-eh-lyn, but when I hear it come out of my mouth, it’s Ev (nothing)-lyn. It’s like I hold the Ev half a beat where ‘eh’ would be and then skip to lyn, it’s not [name]Evlin[/name] all crammed in very quick - sounds wrong to me. I tried this dozens of times, and it never actually sounds right if I say the ‘eh’. I just hear it in my head. I’d say this is not a matter of spelling, but of accents and enunciation. Some people will say Ev-ah-lyn and it’s still correct. Maybe I’m not saying [name]Evlin[/name] good enough for you either and you really want that quick two syllables.

I wouldn’t try to correct for pronunciation with a more phonetic spelling. I think that probably makes more problems than it solves; people don’t always recognize what you’re trying to effect and will still say it wrong. [name]Evlin[/name] looks like [name]Devlin[/name], so it seems more straightforward than some other phonetic attempts I’ve seen for other names. Some people will still draw out [name]Evlin[/name] to Ev-a-lin, or at least the lazy way I say it, like they might say ath-a-lete, or cock-a-roach. I really can’t hear much difference in a short -eh- or pause of how “normal” people probably say [name]Evelyn[/name], and how you say it or how I say it, and just spell it that way. I think it’s pretty.

[name]Eve[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name]… is how I would say it and how I prefer it to be said, but I know American’s would say it was ev-a-lynn.