Pronounciation

I was wondering how you lovely berries would say some these. I wouldn’t want to use them and then find out I’ve been saying my child’s name incorrectly.

[name_m]Gawain[/name_m]: Go-wen, Ga-[name_m]WAYNE[/name_m], GWAYNE (like [name_m]Dwayne[/name_m])
[name_m]Tadhg[/name_m]: TEEG, [name_u]TAY[/name_u]-g, TIEG (Tie with a g sound)
[name_m]Leif[/name_m]: [name_u]Leaf[/name_u] or Layf (rhymes with safe)

I like Ga-wayne, Teeg and Layf (not spelled those ways). Would it be odd to use them as middle names even if they’re not the proper way to say them?

I’m not sure of the correct pronunciation of [name_m]Gawain[/name_m], but I would guess Ga-[name_m]WAYNE[/name_m]. I’d probably pronounce [name_m]Leif[/name_m] as [name_u]Leaf[/name_u] and then wonder if it should actually be Layf!

I knew a [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m], so I know it’s pronounced TIEg - I think it’s a pretty cool name, even though everyone would say it wrong.

I knew a girl called [name_f]Sian[/name_f] who pronounced it Sigh-ann, instead of shaan. It was a bit odd, but everyone accepted it…I do generally think it’s best to go with the correct pronunciation :slight_smile:

I’d say:
[name_m]Gawain[/name_m]- Ga-[name_m]WAYNE[/name_m] or GWAIN
Tadgh- TEEG
[name_m]Lief[/name_m]- LAYF

As middles are hardly used anyway, it’d probably be okay, especially [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] and [name_m]Leif[/name_m].

[name_m]Gawaine[/name_m]: ga-wayne
Tadhg: TIE-g (like the start of tiger)
[name_m]Leif[/name_m]: [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-f

I love [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m], have it on my list. [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m] is pronounced TIYG, like tiger without the ER. [name_m]Leif[/name_m] is pronounced LAYF. [name_m]Leif[/name_m] is very handsome. I am unsure how [name_m]Gawaine[/name_m] is pronounced. I looked it up at forvo, Pronunciations for Gawaine.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] want to say that I’ve only ever heard [name_m]Gawain[/name_m] pronounced “GAH-win.” [name_f]My[/name_f] literature professors use this pronunciation. I live in the U.S., so this is probably wrong??

Still, I really prefer the sound of GAH-win to ga-[name_m]WAYNE[/name_m].

this way…

I’ll have to take a look at the Forvo link when I’m out of class. Thank you!
And thank you to the rest of you lovely berries. They’re in my top sports for middles and OH has given them the seal of approval.
I think because I’ve been saying Ga-wayne so long think Gah-win sounds odd even though from what I’ve read its an acceptable way to say it.
Thanks again!