Pronouncing the name Soren

Hi! We’re considering [name_m]Soren[/name_m] for a boy.

I’m wanting to spell it without an accent on the ‘o’ and pronounce it ‘Sorren’ (rhymes with warren). Would you consider that a valid pronunciation, or does it just read as incorrect? I’m aware that it’s not pronounced that way in Scandinavian countries and I don’t want to do the equivalent of pronouncing [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f] like see-ob-hahn.

1 Like

I think it sounds fine.

1 Like

I pronounce [name_m]Soren[/name_m] like [name_m]Warren[/name_m], but that’s because the only person I know with that name pronounces it that way. I wasn’t even aware it was said differently.

1 Like

I also pronounce it like [name_m]Warren[/name_m] and don’t know any other way…

1 Like

I’d pronounce it how you would and that’s the only way I’ve heard it pronounced

2 Likes

I’ve only ever heard it pronounced that way. Unless you live in Scandinavia, I don’t see it being a problem.

1 Like

Thanks all.

I’ve been looking up pronunciations for a while now and I was feeling uncertain. I’ve seen lots of people from [name_u]America[/name_u] (we’re Australian) say they’d pronounce it SORE-en, and I think the accent over the ‘o’ makes it more like SU-ren.

It’s good to know there are other people who’d pronounce it the way I had in mind! That’s what I’d always thought it was before I got too far down the rabbit hole looking it up :sweat_smile:.

i pronounce it and personally prefer [name_m]Sören[/name_m] pronunciation but i think [name_m]Soren[/name_m]/Warren would be more intuitive in Australia, and so i don’t think there’d be a problem with it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I actually like both, but my husband only likes [name_m]Soren[/name_m]/Warren.

1 Like

aw haha, its a really cool name regardless :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

It’s a great name and I think the “rhymes with [name_m]Warren[/name_m]” pronunciation is perfectly legitimate outside of Scandinavia, where the ø letter doesn’t exist.

The authentic pronunciation is very handsome but realistically, most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers will pronounce it your way or SORE-un, so it’s good that that’s what you’re aiming for!

1 Like

I doubt many people outside of Scandinavia would pronounce it the Scandinavian way. It would be a bit like expecting native [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to pronounce [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] or [name_f]Alice[/name_f] the Italian way instead of the [name_f]English[/name_f] way. You would have to correct people all the time.

I would read [name_m]Soren[/name_m] as SORE-un, rather than rhyming with [name_m]Warren[/name_m]. But maybe that’s an accent thing?

1 Like

The only [name_m]Soren[/name_m] I’ve known pronounced it like SORE-un, which, in my American accent, rhymes with [name_m]Warren[/name_m]. I vaguely know that sur-en is the “correct” pronunciation but that would sound odd here.

2 Likes

Oh I LOVE [name_m]Soren[/name_m]! I automatically pronounce it like [name_m]Warren[/name_m]. And even if someone were to pronounce it su-ren, I think it’d be a really easy correction to remember
Best of luck! :relaxed:

1 Like

I don’t pronounce it the way you do, but wouldn’t be surprised to meet someone who did pronounce it like that (especially in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country).

1 Like

I know a Søren and a [name_m]Soren[/name_m], from Denmark and [name_f]Canada[/name_f] respectively. The former pronounces it SUR-en, of course, but the boy from [name_f]Canada[/name_f] says SORE-un. Both ways sound fine to me, and in a non-Scandinavian country, SORE-un is how the majority of people will pronounce it anyways. So I think you’re fin to use SORE-un.
Also, I think [name_m]Soren[/name_m] is a very handsome name!

1 Like

I think it’s valid and totally usable! I love it said and spelt that way. [name_m]Soren[/name_m] is a great choice!

1 Like

In the US, I’ve know a couple Sorens, and they pronounced it Seer-en, I believe. I prefer the pronunciation you have suggested better, [name_m]Soren[/name_m] rhyming with [name_m]Warren[/name_m], but idk, I think it would give a negative impression to have a name pronounced incorrectly in the language it’s from.

1 Like