Pronunciation Araminta

[name]Hi[/name] all,

Question - Would you pronounce the ‘Ar’ part of [name]Araminta[/name] as ‘air’-aminta or ‘are’-aminta ???

I’m falling for this name again…but borderline if I have the nerve to use it :confused:

Thanks!

I usually say Are, not [name]Air[/name] for names starting Ar-

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say it aloud. I say it [name]Air[/name]-uh-mint-uh. It’s a beautiful name, dulcinea!

As it’s a Greek name, it would rightly be pronounced ahr-a-mint-ah (the I in mint is sort of a cross between EE and the IH sound like in mint). So with an ARE sound is the proper way.

Have you considered just using [name]Minta[/name]? Or just [name]Minna[/name]? [name]Both[/name] have been on my list for years.

I would pronounce the first syllable like neither air or ahr but like the first syllable of arrow == ar-uh-MINT-a – the same as this Italian pronunciation in its beginning, but not with that long ee sound in meeeeenta! Araminta pronunciation: How to pronounce Araminta in Italian, Spanish

I would pronounce it /air-uh-mEEn-tuh/.

I say it air-uh-mint-uh. :slight_smile:

This is how I would pronounce it as well. And it would be read this way in [name]German[/name] as well.

I pn it air-uh-mint-uh

I pronounce it with the Ar- sound like when I’m saying [name]Arrow[/name], if that makes any sense. It’s neither [name]Air[/name] nor Ahr, I can’t think of any other way to explain it.

Wow…so it sounds like there are at least 3 pronunciations of the very first syllable. ( never mind the -minta vs -meenta! )

[name]Air[/name] -a-minta
Ahr-a-minta
A-ra-minta (whereby the first A is pronounced like the A in ‘cat’ , and not really blended with the R…similar to ‘arrow’ (depending where your from).

Thankfully they are all equally lovely [name]IMO[/name]…And hubby loves the name :slight_smile: It’s on the list.

alzora…I think [name]Minta[/name] and [name]Minna[/name] are adorable, but I could never go down to 2 syllables, lol…I’m just stuck on long names. I find it a sacrifice to even go down to 3 syllables :eek: Crazy, I know.