Pronunciation of Thalia?

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Thalia[/name]?

I say “THAHL-yuh”, but I know there are several pronunciations.

In my head it’s [name]Tal[/name]-yah, but I think most pronounce it like esrever88 said.

I prefer [name]Talia[/name], because I know it’s pronounced the way I like it! :slight_smile: [name]Both[/name] are super cute though. I love [name]Tally[/name] as a nickname.

I would pronounce it “[name]Tah[/name]-lee-yah”
I have 2 friends who have daughters named [name]Thalia[/name] and that is how they both pronounce it

Have you ever heard of it pronounced “THey-lee-yah”?

Sounds like a U.K. pronunciation to me - I believe the Brits also pronounce [name]Dahlia[/name] as “day-lee-yuh” (correct me if I’m wrong, of course, U.K. berries). :slight_smile:

Thal-lee-uh (the+al=Thal) is how I would pronounce it. [name]Talia[/name] I would pronounce tal-lee-uh (like [name]Val[/name]). For me to read it THey-lee-yah it would need to be spelled Thelia, like [name]Delia[/name], actually no because then I would say it like deal but with a “thuh” sound instead of the d. I think you would just have to explain the pronunciation which isn’t a big deal.

Either [name]Tal[/name]-yuh or [name]Tal[/name]-lee-uh, just depends on the day as to how it will come out.

Here in [name]America[/name], I think it’s most common to pronounce it Thuh-lee-uh or Thahl-yuh.

The original Greek pronunciation is [name]THAY[/name]-lee-uh. I prefer that one, but then again, I also prefer the Greek pronunciation of a lot of other names that no one else on here likes ([name]Hermione[/name] for example is hair-me-oh-nee).

I say [name]Thay[/name]-lee-uh, but I’ve only ever said it as relating to the flower, not a name. I think as a name I would tend to want to say Thah-lee-uh.

Wow what a nice name idea! I have only heard this name on the singer/actress, and I can’t remember if she pronounces it [name]TAH[/name]-lee-ah or [name]Tal[/name]-EE-ah. I love her voice so I think the association would be a good one, imo.

Correction: I’m a [name]Brit[/name], and I say DAH-lee-uh. :slight_smile:

[name]EDIT[/name]: But a lot of the older generation in the UK will say [name]DAY[/name]-lee-uh.

Tall-ee-uh

[name]Tah[/name]-lee-uh or tall-yah. I use the two interchangeably, though I like the Tall-yah pronunciation a bit more.

I say [name]Tal[/name]-ya, but I pronounce the T softer…almost a “Th” sound but not quite. I didn’t even know it had different pronunciations. Where have I been?

My officemate (of Greek descent) is a [name]Thalia[/name] who pronounces it THAH-lee-a.

I would pronounce it THAH-lee-ah.

I say [name]Thalia[/name] as “THALL-yuh”, with the first syllable rhyming with pal. It’s one of my favorite names! I have no clue if this is a legitimate pronunciation or not, but that’s how I’ve always said it.

I say [name]TAHL[/name]-yah

I pronounce it much like [name]Dahlia[/name], so it sounds like [name]TAL[/name]-ya or TALL-ya.