Pronunciation Problem?

[name]Hi[/name] everyone. My husband and I are seriously considering the name [name]Isla[/name] [name]Claire[/name] for our daughter’s name, but are concerned about her constantly having to pronounce her name to people. We both really love the way it sounds, but worry about the spelling, and neither of us are fans of changing the traditional spelling of names in order to make them easier to pronounce. I know the name is gradually gaining popularity which may help, but am not sure. What does everyone think? Am I over-thinking this?

Though I’m not currently pregnant, [name]Isla[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] (mn is family) is the front runner for whenever my husband and I do have children. I’ve been really concerned about this as well, and sort of looked into different ways to spell it. I can tell ya right now, there isn’t a single one that looks decent :slight_smile: So I would stick with [name]Isla[/name], as well. I do think, however, that people are becoming more and more familar with the name thanks to the actress [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]. I know when I first saw her name I had no clue how to say it, but now I’ve heard it several times on TV. She also seems to be an actress with some staying power and the longer she’s around the more familiar her name will be. I mentioned that I liked the name to a friend and she immediatley said “oooo! [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]…she’s gorgeous!” I can DEFINITLEY handle that association :slight_smile: I say Go For It! [name]Isla[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is sweet!

[name]How[/name] much trouble people have pronouncing it depends on where you live (while it’s #16 in [name]Scotland[/name], it has never ranked in the top 1,000 in the U.S.). Asking your relatives, friends, and acquaintances how they would pronounce it should give a good idea of what to expect, although perhaps you don’t prefer to reveal the name to that many people. I agree that it’s likely to greatly rise in popularity, so given that possibility and the attractiveness of the name, it’s probably worth correcting people on. I’m a name nerd who will cop to having virtually no exposure to [name]Isla[/name] before nameberry.

Iyla may make it easier but most people say [name]Isle[/name] correctly and so I would assume say [name]Isla[/name] correctly :slight_smile:

With [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]'s popularity, I agree that people should know how to pronounce the name. I honestly don’t think you’ll have troubles, but like someone suggested, you can test it out and see if you get “iss-la” or “eye-la.”

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input! I think I may feel it out with a few people and see what happens!

[name]Isla[/name] is one of my favourites. It’s very popular in Australia, possibly due to [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name].

It’s such a beautiful name and i’ve never heard it mispronounced.