Pronunciation Problems

I love the name [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] for our second son. However, I prefer the pronunciation Seed-rik over Sed-rik. Is there any way to distinguish this with spelling, or maybe this pronunciation is more common than I realize. What are your thoughts?

I’ve only ever heard “sed-rick”. I didn’t know there were multiple pronunciations. I think you’d probably just have to correct people until they catch on. I knew two Karens where one was “ka-ren” and one was “kaa-ren”, you just had to get used to the difference. I don’t know if adding more letter to [name_m]Cedrick[/name_m] would clarify it in any way.

2 Likes

I’ve also only ever heard sed-rick and I think that’s what most people would instinctively say. The only way to distinguish seed-rick would be just to correct people imo as I think a spelling like Ceedric just ruins the appeal of the name.

1 Like

I’ve only ever heard it pronouced Sed-rik.
Ciedric maybe, Ceadric? Or maybe you’d like [name_u]Cedar[/name_u]

2 Likes

Hmm, I honestly didn’t know Seed-rik was an option, so I’m not sure of a way to clarify it with spelling. It’s easy to say that way, though, so I don’t think it would be too hard to correct people as long as you’re prepared to do that each time. I do really like @Greyblue’s suggestion of [name_u]Cedar[/name_u] for you, as well!

1 Like

I usually pronounce it Sed-ric, but I have heard the pronunciation See-dric. I don’t know where, but I’ve heard it. Other than Ciedric/Ciedrik, I don’t know if there’s a way to indicate the pronunciation without looking really awful. You may just have to correct pronunciation until people learn it, which they will eventually.

1 Like