Pronunciation question

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce the name [name]Emmeline[/name]? I love it, but prefer the ‘[name]Em[/name]-me-line’ pronunciation to ‘[name]Em[/name]-me-leen’ as I’ve sometimes heard it said. I just worry that if I name my daughter this she have to deal with mispronunciations all her life.

Also, what mn’s would you suggest?

I’m no help, I instinctively say em-eh-LEEN when seeing [name]Emmeline[/name]. Might have something to do with having a [name]Josephine[/name], but I’m not certain. I could probably learn [name]Em[/name]-eh-[name]LINE[/name] if I was introduced to one who said it that way, so you might be able to ‘teach’ people to say it the way you want.

It does seem to be split down the middle. Someone posted a poll at BtN two days ago, about the pronunciation, http://www.behindthename.com/polls/view.php?id=134992
Split, right down the middle!

My instinct is towards [name]Emme[/name]-[name]LINE[/name], like [name]Caroline[/name]. So I guess [name]Lola[/name]'s right-- split down the middle!

[name]Em[/name]-me-line for me too I’m a New Zealander if that helps may be pronounced diff in diff places

I say em-eh-leen, but if someone introduced themselves as em-eh-line, I’d always call them that. she might have some issues, but once she tells someone once, it shouldn’t be a problem for them to say it your way!

[name]Emmeline[/name] is one of my favorite names, and I pronounce it [name]Emma[/name]-line, just like in [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables and the [name]Blue[/name] Lagoon. (Uh, yeah. The [name]Blue[/name] Lagoon. I had a really responsible babysitter who made me watch it with her and her boyfriend when I was a very little girl. My mom was less than thrilled…)