Pronunciations of names that make no sense to you:

For me:

[name_f]Isla[/name_f] SHOULD be iz-luh

Any ones that trigger you? :slight_smile:

ETA: Okay people, you won’t stop going off & debating the pronunciation of Elodie, so I’m taking it off this original post. :confused:

1 Like

Wait [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] isn’t pronounced [name_f]Elle[/name_f]-oh-dee?

7 Likes

Elodie is pronounced like that

Also if you say [name_u]Island[/name_u] like “eye-land” then [name_f]Isla[/name_f] makes sense

4 Likes

I think most of the pronunciations that “don’t make sense” are just from a language or culture that we’re unfamiliar with. I know there are people who think the pronunciation of my name doesn’t sound right, and it’s probably just the same with [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], etc. I honestly think it’s fun to learn the pronunciations of new names and the rules for different languages.

18 Likes

I’ve not trying to belittle other cultures, I’m just asking for what YOU (in your culture) think. :confused:

@DriftingMaie @kipperbo1

Typo. :sweat_smile: I’ll edit it.

1 Like

it is

literally it is

1 Like

Most people say [name_f]Elle[/name_f]-oh-dee. :confused:

I know three Elodies and they all say el-uh-dee. maybe it’s regional? in england, lots of vowels get dropped and shortened (e.g. eleanor becomes el-uh-nuh).

2 Likes

Maybe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Calliope. Dude, I still get tripped up over it! Also [name_f]Antigone[/name_f]. I want to just say “ant-ih-gone”

1 Like

Xavier said as X. Avier. Why would you separate a letter?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t describe it as not making sense (to me), just that it’s not my instinct to pronounce some names the way they’re meant to be pronounced.

I was the same way with [name_f]Isla[/name_f] for a looooong time. Then I trained myself to equate [name_f]Isla[/name_f] to the word “island” :blush:

One that still trips me up is [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. In my head, I pronounce the T. It’s a beautiful name, I guess my brain just needs more training to get it right!

2 Likes

I agree with [name_f]Antigone[/name_f]. :joy:

1 Like

Same with [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. :joy: [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] is mar-gawks in my head as well. :slight_smile:

I didn’t understand the pronunciation of [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] as “[name_u]Skyler[/name_u]” when I first encountered it (I assumed it was pronounced SHOO-ler at first). But I don’t speak [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], so that’s probably why.

6 Likes

Saoirse gets me every time as [name_m]Say[/name_m]- orse and so does [name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f]- my head think [name_m]Sir[/name_m]-wid-in even though I know it’s not.:joy:

2 Likes

@JoyfulWriter I used to pronounce it “saow–eers” in my head :grin:

2 Likes

Me too! :joy:

That to say-oh-rise. :slight_smile: