Pronunciations!

Hey all,

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to get some insight on how most people pronounce some names that are less common or may be pronounced multiple different ways.

[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]:

• Kuh-SEE-muh
  • KOH-see-muh
  • CAUSE-im-uh
  • Something else (write in comments)

0 voters

[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]

• SASS-kee-uh
  • SAW-skee-uh
  • sass-KEE-uh

0 voters

[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]

• SOON-ee-vuh
  • SUN-ee-vuh
  • SON-uh-vuh

0 voters

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]

• THEE-uh
  • THAY-uh
  • TAY-uh

0 voters

Furthermore, what do you think of these names? Lately I’ve been drawn to names that have some sort of celestial/spacey feel to them, and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] just entered my radar. [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] doesn’t fit that theme, but it’s always intrigued me, plus the nickname [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] is so bright and happy. [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] are old favourites, but I just worry about wearability (esp for [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], which seems completely unheard of where I live).

Thanks all!

I pronounce [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] like CAW-see-muh

and [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] like [name_f]Sun[/name_f]-nih-vah

[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] are the only names on this list I have encountered in real life, pronounced SASS-kee-uh (SAW-skee-uh would sound really odd in my accent) and THEE-uh (though I’m aware that [name_f]Thea[/name_f] can also be pronounced like Téa).

I’ve never met anyone named [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] or [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] so those names don’t have a set pronunciation for me. They could be pronounced different ways in different languages/areas.

I voted “something else” for [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]. I pronounce it with a short “I” sound in the middle (like in “bit”): COSS-ih-muh.

I really love these names! :two_hearts:

[name_f]Cosima[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] are my favourites. I adore them all.

[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] feels soft, stately and sophisticated, while [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] sounds strong and spirited. [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] is really beautiful and interesting, and I love the meaning and the nickname [name_u]Sunny[/name_u].

[name_f]Thea[/name_f] feels a bit more pedestrian than these other choices, but it’s still a great name. Sleek, simple, international and cool without feeling either too trendy or overexposed.

1 Like

I voted for the “something else” option for [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], I pronounce it sun-EE-vuh with the stress on the middle syllable. That might be wrong but I’ve never met anyone with that name so that’s just my instinct!

I really like [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] especially, I like how [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] sounds a little like cosmic. [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] is a lovely warm nickname and could even be a full name by itself. [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] is probably my least favourite of your list but I do like it, it feels very sassy and spunky. I would say they all fall into the category of being familiar but not overly popular, which is a great territory to be in.

I can’t put the ee sound in [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] without it seeming odd or putting the emphasis on it so I say it more like KOH-sih-ma but KOH-see-ma was the closest.

I voted for other with [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] because like others, I put the emphasis on the middle syllable. soo-NEE-va

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] names! :sparkling_heart:

I say [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] as Sass-kee-ah (not sure where my emphasis is?) and [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] as sun-ee-vah.

I love all of these name! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] and [name_f]Saskia[/name_f].

Thanks for all of your feedback!!! I really appreciate it. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is pretty adamantly opposed to [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], sadly, but I think he may be able to come around to [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] so I’ll keep it on my list! I worry that with the split on votes and in the comments, [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] would be a headache to have pronounced the same way consistently. [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is nice but I agree with @katinka that it doesn’t have quite as much sparkle as the other names (while still being an awesome option! just maybe not for me).

Thanks all!!

1 Like

I pronounce Them with my dutch A’s. I don’t really know how to explain it, I’m sorry! :slight_smile: :woman_shrugging:
[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] names! [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] isn’t my style though.

[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] – COHZ-im-uh (your CAUSE-im-uh seemed closest to me) Honestly, I do say the name with the emphasis on that second syllable in my head from time to time and I blame that completely on ‘Orphan [name_m]Black[/name_m]’ (but hey, I don’t hate it…)
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] – SAHS-kee-uh or SASS-kyuh (your SASS-kee-uh seemed closest)
[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] – SOON-ih-vuh (I did initially vote your SOON-ee-vuh, but it’s definitely more a short i than a long e)
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] – THEE-uh However, if it’s in an obvious non-[name_f]English[/name_f] ([name_m]German[/name_m]/Scandinavian/[name_u]French[/name_u]…) context though, I might think to say TEH-uh instead.