Pros and Cons of Liv

feel free to add your opinion on the name. Thank You!

Pros: short and sweet, stylish, easy to spell, lively + energetic sound

Cons: nicknamey, people might assume it’s short for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

Could be a pro or con: sounds like the word ‘live’

1 Like

Based on my personal view of the name…

Liv Pros:
– easy to spell and pronounce
– nice meaning, good vibes
– distinct enough from other names
– can be worn by anyone

Liv Cons:
– too short
– verges on the edge of nickname only territory / feels incomplete in a sense

I like it, but only as a nickname!

Pros:

• short and easy to pronounce
  • not overly done, but common enough to recognize
  • has a sporty and energetic vibes
  • fits any ages
  • can’t shorten it

Cons:

• no nicknames really
  • people will assume it’s a nn for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], or [name_f]Olive[/name_f]

Pros:

Short, snappy and stylish
Cool meaning
[name_m]Easy[/name_m] to spell

Cons:

Might be considered a nickname for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
Two pronunciations

I love [name_f]Liv[/name_f]!

Pros:
• short & sweet
• ages really well
• easily pronounceable/recognizable
• has energy and spunk but is still sweet sounding.

Cons:
• people might assume it’s a nn for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] so corrections might be needed. But I’m also reaching for a negative here.

Liv…

Pros

• elegant, well tailored, polished and sophisticated
  • has the lovely meaning ‘life’
  • feels very universal/translatable
  • easy to pronounce
  • timeless

Cons

• people may mistake for a nickname for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] which may result in a lot of correcting or confusion.
  • could be seen as to much of a nickname choice

Pro and con: its a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] numeral

Pros: short, spunky, modern, almost impossible to misspell and mispronounce

Cons: Easily assumed that it’s short for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

Pro: sounds cute and fun
Cons: Feels more complete if it’s a nickname for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

This might not matter to you, however I would feel compelled to use fairly short, simple names for any future children.
To me personally, using [name_f]Liv[/name_f] would mean I would feel I would be restricted to using as an example, [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_u]Alex[/name_u] rather than [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] or [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] if they were the other favourites on my list.

It’s my daughter’s name! I would say that it’s spunky, neutral, very simple and minimalist, fresh, international and timeless. It has a beautiful history and meaning (life, protection). In Norse mythology, [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and her husband were two humans foretold to survive the end of the world and to repopulate it.
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] was our rainbow baby. She arrived right when the nature came back to life and during the first confinement in 2020. We needed protection and a beautiful message of hope.

I didn’t want a name that would set my kid in style that she might not even like. I didn’t want something that sounds too princess-y / girly or too boyish. I loved to depict my daughter with a name that would fit her, no matter if she was in a beautiful pink dress or skateboarding with her vans and wearing her cap backward.

[name_f]My[/name_f] only cons would be that, in [name_u]America[/name_u], people might wonder if it’s her nickname (we live in [name_u]France[/name_u] and do not have this problem here in Europe). Generally Americans just ask us if it’s her name or her nickname and we answer that it’s her full name and quickly give the history. People never used [name_f]Olive[/name_f] or [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] to call my daughter.