Prounouncing Ariel....

As a youngster, I always pronounced the world’s favourite little red-haired mermaid [name]Ariel[/name] as “ari-yell”, but I was then corrected by my aunty who told me it’s like “aerial” (I obviously didn’t pay too much attention when others said her name! :smiley: ). But I still prefer it as how I pronounced it-I think it has a bit more feminimity, sweetness and girliness about it-Am I the only one?? So tell me-how do you pronounce it!?

There are more than one pronunciation. In the movie it is said “Are-ee-elle”, but many in actual life say it like “aerial”.

I do prefer the movie pronunciation, the “aerial” one isn’t as charming.

I’ve always said [name]Air[/name]-E-L, which I suppose is closest to your aunt. Personally I have the same feelings that you do about “air-yell” that I do about my pronunciation. I think the [name]Air[/name]-E-L pronunciation is gorgeous and super feminine.

I love the nn [name]Ari[/name] pronounced [name]AIR[/name]-ee, as opposed to ARE-ee… ARE-ee just never sounded as feminine, elfish, and sweet as [name]AIR[/name]-ee does to me. Which is why I used to prefer [name]AIR[/name]-ee-uhl. But that sounds almost clunky to my ear now–a dear friend of mine was French, and wanted to use the French pronunciation (for the [name]Arielle[/name] spelling)–which is are-YELL, which I think is very sweet, and what I prefer. It seems that the general opinion is that [name]Ariel[/name] is [name]AIR[/name]-ee-uhl, and [name]Arielle[/name] is are-ee-elle (which is why I prefer [name]Arielle[/name]). :slight_smile:

I say it like air-ee-ell. I go back and forth between emphasizing the first and last syllables… not sure why!

I tend to say ahr-ee-[name]ELLE[/name], although I do hear it said air-ee-elle quite often.

I say it like the letters R-E-L.

For feminine sweetness I would tend to go with [name]Ariella[/name] - are-ee-ella.

I think of [name]Ariel[/name] as an androgynous or boy’s name and have known three boy Ariels, though. I prefer [name]Ariella[/name] for girls.

I would take your pronunciation over your aunt’s, if that’s any comfort. :wink:

Jewish way is ah-ree-ELH, as in [name]Ariel[/name] [name]Sharon[/name]. ah-ree-ELH shah-RHON is definitely not [name]AIR[/name]-ee-elle [name]SHARE[/name]-un. It’s easy to see why so many male Ariels go by [name]Ari[/name]!! For girls it’s [name]AIR[/name]-ee-elle, like the mermaid.

http://www.forvo.com/word/ariel_‘arik’_sharon/

Maybe I’m having a stupid day but I don’t hear an H sound on the end, never really have?

I’m generally unimpressed with forvo. I was trying to mimicking the way I’ve heard countless Israelis say [name]Ariel[/name] [name]Sharon[/name]'s name in Hebrew; I read and speak some Hebrew as well. This is also the prn used in Hebrew school when we all went by Hebrew names. American newscasters still say it as if he is a little mermaid.

I agree I don’t trust newscasters and that the Hebrew pronunciation is different from the English/Disney one. I also went to Hebrew school and speak/read some Hebrew and hear Sharon’s name as said by Israelis. I still wouldn’t phoneticize it with an h on the end? ”ֲרִי”ֵל = Ariʼēl, I think we might even be saying it the same way but your phoneticization is one I’ve never seen before at all. Nor heard. In Hebrew. It’s just the ELH threw me off.

In the [name]Little[/name] Mermaid they use two pronunciations of [name]Ariel[/name]. All save [name]Sebastian[/name] call her ‘air-ee-el’. [name]Sebastian[/name], which his French accent, calls her ‘arry-el’ and ‘ah-ree-el’ when he’s speaking slower.

Personally I’d say:

[name]Ariel[/name] - air-ee-el
[name]Arielle[/name] - arry-el
[name]Ariella[/name] - arry-ella

I can’t comment on the Hebrew pronunciation.

I’ve always pronounced it like “aerial”. I know someone who has a little girl name [name]Ariel[/name], and that’s how they pronounce it. If you want to pronounce it “are-ee-[name]ELL[/name]”, then you should spell it [name]Arielle[/name].

The only person I’ve ever met with the name [name]Ariel[/name] was actually a guy, and he pronounces it Are-e-ul, or like someone else said R-E-L. But as far as the mermaid goes, I pronounce it ‘aerial’.

I first heard the name in [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s [name]Tempest[/name] and it was always ‘[name]Aeriel[/name]’ to me until the Disney movie came out!

I agree with R- E- L
which made me think… perfect sibling for [name]Elodie[/name]? L-O -D? heee heee

In my mind I can here [name]Sebastian[/name] the crab say those two name, ironically her daughter is [name]Melody[/name] in #2.