Put my mind to rest...

My husband and I are hovering around two girls names, [name]Megan[/name] and [name]Candace[/name], which are names from our generation. I recently read a Nameberry article saying that it is not advisable to hoist upon your infant names from your own generation. What do you think?

Would you want to be named a popular name from your parents’ generation?

I have to agree. [name]Megan[/name] sounds more dated than [name]Candace[/name] to me though. [name]Candace[/name] definitely feels more classic, but you’d have to be OK with inevitable nn [name]Candy[/name]. [name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Charlotte[/name]? Or [name]Camille[/name]? Instead of [name]Megan[/name], what about the classic [name]Margaret[/name], with [name]Meg[/name] as a nn?

I think times have changed and that is no longer the case. Generations cross-over so much now. [name]Just[/name] like fashion, anything goes nowadays and I think it’s great! Classic names are back and trendy names are not so cute anymore. Pick something you love that is not overused and I bet you won’t regret it. [name]Candace[/name] (tough to nickname though) and [name]Megan[/name] (I like it pronounced “Mee-gan”) will stand out as she goes through school and they are solid choices.

I think it depends on the name. I can’t imagine naming a child [name]Tiffany[/name] or [name]Kimberly[/name] today, but [name]Megan[/name] and [name]Candace[/name] aren’t quite so bad. I personally don’t like [name]Megan[/name], it seems rather bland to me. [name]Candace[/name] is cute though, and I don’t think it will sound like a “mom name”, because I don’t believe it was ever THAT popular. I’ve only ever met one. I think [name]Candy[/name] is a cute nickname. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Cassandra[/name]?

Unfortunately, [name]Megan[/name] is very dated, although I agree with [name]Lyndsay[/name] that [name]Candace[/name] lacks that dated feel. (I’d personally want to avoid the potential [name]Candy[/name] nickname at all costs, as it screams “pole dancer” to me.) That said, if [name]Megan[/name] and [name]Candace[/name] are your top picks, you should pick the name you love!

Other similar ideas:
[name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Meg[/name]…)
[name]Teagan[/name]
[name]Tiernan[/name]/[name]Tierney[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

It’s fine. People spend too much time worrying about rules imposed by others. If you like [name]Megan[/name] and [name]Candace[/name], go for it – my only warning would be about the (inevitable?) nickname [name]Candy[/name]. Neither sounds dated to me. Go with your heart.

Its kinda refreshing hearing a name like [name]Megan[/name] being considered! Tired of hearing about Sophias and Emmas and what not :wink:

I like [name]Candace[/name] but I would also be concerned with the [name]Candy[/name] nickname.

I think [name]Candace[/name] is cute (and I didn’t even realize the nn would be [name]Candy[/name]…right over my head!) :slight_smile:

But, [name]Megan[/name] I’m not a fan of. To me its really, quite bland :confused:

[name]Hi[/name]! I personally like [name]Cadence[/name] better than [name]Candace[/name] … and I think [name]Cadi[/name] or Caddy is a better nickname than [name]Candy[/name]. As for [name]Megan[/name] … I think I prefer [name]Margaret[/name] with the nickname [name]Meg[/name]??? But I’d have to think some more about that.
Good luck … and pick what YOU love!

[name]How[/name] interesting all your comments were! And very very helpful! Thanks so much!!

I do love [name]Charlotte[/name], I’ve been thinking about that name as well. It would sound so great with our last name.

I love [name]Camille[/name] too. So cute!

I’m not so sure about [name]Margaret[/name]. I think I would rather name her [name]Meg[/name] than [name]Margaret[/name].

I’m not a huge fan of [name]Cassandra[/name], as most of the Cassandras I know are called [name]Cassie[/name].

I think I’m leaning more towards [name]Candace[/name] than [name]Megan[/name], as most all the Candaces I know don’t have the nick name [name]Candy[/name].

Thanks so much!

Good luck! :slight_smile: Keep us posted!

I love the name [name]Candace[/name]! I haven’t heard of too many Candaces going by [name]Candy[/name], so I think you can control the nickname problem.