Queen Victoria's Children

Someone posted about [name]Emmeline[/name] Pankhurst’s children in the Celebrity [name]Baby[/name] Names section a little bit ago, and this sparked my interest. Given that I like classic, vintage names, I decided to do some searching of my own into the late, great, [name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] of the United Kingdom…

[name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name], the daughter of [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Victoria[/name], was born [name]Alexandrina[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]. She later became [name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] and produced nine children with her husband, [name]Prince[/name] [name]Albert[/name]. I will list the name of each child (with the name they went by in quotes, if necessary), the name of his or her spouse, and the names of his or her children, if necessary:

1. “[name]Victoria[/name]” [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Frederick[/name]
    [name]William[/name]*
    [name]Charlotte[/name]**
    [name]Henry[/name]**
    [name]Sigismund[/name]
    [name]Viktoria[/name]
    [name]Waldemar[/name]
    [name]Sophie[/name]
    [name]Margaret[/name]*

2. [name]Albert[/name] “[name]Edward[/name]” - [name]Alexandra[/name]
    [name]Albert[/name] [name]Victor[/name]
    [name]George[/name]
    [name]Louise[/name]*
    [name]Victoria[/name]
    [name]Maud[/name]
    [name]Alexander[/name] [name]John[/name]

3. “[name]Alice[/name]” [name]Maud[/name] [name]Mary[/name] - [name]Louis[/name]
    [name]Victoria[/name]
    [name]Elizabeth[/name]*
    [name]Irene[/name]
    [name]Ernest[/name] [name]Louis[/name]
    [name]Friedrich[/name]
    [name]Alexandra[/name]
    [name]Marie[/name]

4. “[name]Alfred[/name]” [name]Ernest[/name] [name]Albert[/name] - [name]Maria[/name]
    [name]Alfred[/name]
    [name]Marie[/name]
    [name]Victoria[/name]
    [name]Alexandra[/name]
    [name]Beatrice[/name]

5. “[name]Helena[/name]” [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] - [name]Christian[/name]
    [name]Christian[/name] [name]Victor[/name]
    [name]Albert[/name]
    [name]Helena[/name]* [name]Victoria[/name]
    [name]Marie[/name] [name]Louise[/name]

6. “[name]Louise[/name]” [name]Caroline[/name]** [name]Alberta[/name]

7. “[name]Arthur[/name]” [name]William[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]** [name]Albert[/name] - [name]Louise[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
    [name]Margaret[/name]
    [name]Arthur[/name]
    [name]Patricia[/name]

8. “[name]Leopold[/name]” [name]George[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] [name]Albert[/name] - [name]Helena[/name]*
    [name]Alice[/name]**
    [name]Charles[/name] [name]Edward[/name]

9. “[name]Beatrice[/name]” [name]Mary[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Feodore[/name] - [name]Henry[/name]
    [name]Alexander[/name]
    [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Eugenie[/name]
    [name]Leopold[/name]
    [name]Maurice[/name]

I think it is interesting how often names, especially [name]Victoria[/name], are reused in the royal families. I went through and starred named I like…

Thanks for posting this! It’s very interesting. You’re right, they reuse names a lot, but I guess if you are limited to classical, traditional names, and have to come up with three middles, you do wind up reusing names…

Now I have to find that [name]Emmeline[/name] Pankhurst forum…I’m sure that’s very intriguing as well…

Wow! What lovely taste [name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] and her children had. While [name]Sigismund[/name] and [name]Maud[/name] might not be my favorite names ever, you can’t beat [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Leopold[/name], and [name]Victoria[/name] for regality and classiness.

Thanks!

[name]Christy[/name] and [name]Liz[/name], you are most welcome! If you have any ideas of which monarch I should name-stalk next, please let me know! I picked [name]Victoria[/name] because I knew she had many children, but I’m not sure where to go next. I might do an American Presidential Family from many decades past…

[name]Peter[/name] the Great has some interesting names in his family. Also [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name]. They were all Russian czars. Also love the Borgia names.

The Prussian [name]Royal[/name] Family had some pretty interesting names:

[name]Sophia[/name] [name]Dorothea[/name] (a little sing-song, but pretty)
married
[name]Frederick[/name] [name]William[/name]
and they had 10 children named:
[name]Sophie[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Frederica[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
Phillipine [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name] [name]Dorothea[/name] (again)
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ulrika[/name]
[name]Augustus[/name] [name]William[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Henry[/name] [name]Louis[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Ferdinand[/name]

I find it interesting that they had children named [name]Augustus[/name] and [name]August[/name], [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name].

If you want to research more royal families’ names, [name]Sweden[/name] and Denmark looked like cool ones to me. Also, on a presidential note, [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name]'s children had interesting names.

You forgot [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Frederica[/name], [name]Christy[/name]! That is interesting - albeit rather odd.

[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name] it is! I had just been looking into him earlier and now you suggested him…

So, [name]Theodore[/name] was the oldest son of [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Martha[/name] Bulloch [name]Roosevelt[/name]. His siblings were [name]Anna[/name] “Bamie,” himself [name]Theodore[/name] “Teedie,” [name]Elliott[/name] “[name]Ellie[/name],” and [name]Corinne[/name] “Coney.”

[name]Theodore[/name]'s first wife was [name]Alice[/name] Hathaway [name]Lee[/name]. Together, they had [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lee[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name]. Unfortunately, his wife died two days later, just hours after the passing of [name]Theodore[/name]'s mother, [name]Martha[/name]. Grief prevented [name]Theodore[/name] from raising his daughter, [name]Alice[/name], so she was transferred into the care of his sister, [name]Anna[/name] “Bamie.”

[name]Theodore[/name]'s second wife was [name]Edith[/name] [name]Kermit[/name] Carow. Together, they had five children - [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name], [name]Jr[/name]., [name]Kermit[/name], [name]Ethel[/name] Carow, [name]Archibald[/name] Bulloch, and [name]Quentin[/name].

In other news, [name]Anna[/name] “Bamie” [name]Roosevelt[/name] married [name]William[/name] [name]Sheffield[/name] Cowles at age 40, and together they had one child, [name]William[/name] [name]Sheffield[/name] Cowles, [name]Jr[/name]. Bamie was 43 when her son was born…

[name]Elliott[/name] Bulloch [name]Roosevelt[/name] married [name]Anna[/name] [name]Hall[/name] at a young age. Together, they had [name]Anna[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Jr[/name]., and [name]Gracie[/name] [name]Hall[/name], a boy who usually went by “[name]Hall[/name].” [name]Elliott[/name] also fathered a child with [name]Katy[/name] Mann, a servant employed by his wife, [name]Anna[/name] - [name]Elliott[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name] Mann.

[name]Corinne[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name] married [name]Douglas[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], with whom she had four children - [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Douglas[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], [name]Corinne[/name] [name]Douglas[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], [name]Monroe[/name] [name]Douglas[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], and [name]Stewart[/name] [name]Douglas[/name] [name]Robinson[/name].

The names of [name]Zachary[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]'s family are intriguing too.

[name]Zachary[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] was the son of [name]Richard[/name] [name]Taylor[/name].
He married [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Smith[/name] [name]Taylor[/name], and they had six children:

[name]Ann[/name] Mackall [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Knox[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name] Pannill [name]Taylor[/name] (cool)
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Smith[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] (her married name was [name]Bliss[/name])
[name]Richard[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I read about them and they didn’t necessarily “reuse” names. For example, a daughter would be born on the same day as great-aunt [name]Mary[/name] so they added that to the middle names, which caused some repeats. So they were the same names after different people.