Question about a Welsh name

In searching for middle names I recently rediscovered the name Caerwyn, which I love, but would prefer to use the feminine form.

Am I correct in that the -wyn ending is masculine and the -wen ending is feminine?
Am I also correct in assuming the pronunciation is KARE (rhymes with “air”)-winn?

I’d also like to know how to pronounce Carwyn (I prefer its meaning to that of Caerwyn).

Thank you so much!

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Olive[/name]! (I’m no Welsh name expert, but thought I’d bump this up so it has a better chance of being seen by someone who is!)
:slight_smile:

But for what it’s worth, I’m willing to wager one Hershey bar that like you said, wen endings are feminine and wyn is the masculine. (I’m feeling pretty confident, so I’ll even throw in some chocolate covered strawberries.)

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Olive[/name]! (I’m no Welsh name expert, but thought I’d bump this up so it has a better chance of being seen by someone who is!)
:slight_smile:

But for what it’s worth, I’m willing to wager one Hershey bar that like you said, wen endings are feminine and wyn is the masculine. (I’m feeling pretty confident, so I’ll even throw in some chocolate covered strawberries.)

Take care! :-)[/quote]

Lol! Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Wales[/name] is the one British country I can’t claim to be an expert on, but I do know that [name]BronwEn[/name] is femimine, and so I think you are right on the endings count.

Good luck!

You are absolutely right. -wyn is masculine and -wen is feminine traditionally. Occasionally, there are a few instances that break this rule but not usually.

Caerwyn is a masculine name. J.J.Caerwyn [name]Williams[/name] was a well known Welsh scholar. It means “white fort”. Carwen is a feminine name that means “white/fair/blessed love”.

In South [name]Wales[/name] Caerwyn would by [name]KEYE[/name]'R-wyn (with a long ‘i’ sound). In [name]North[/name] [name]Wales[/name] it would be KAYR-wyn (with long ‘a’ sound).

Carwen would be KARR-wen with a long ‘ar’ sound.

This link should help:

(although for some reason the soundbite for Caerwyn doesn’t work and sends you to the Carwyn one, so that one isn’t correct. All the others are though).

elea –
Thank you so much! You are a life saver! :slight_smile:

My pleasure :slight_smile: