Question about breastfeeding

My daughter is four (almost five) months old and I’ve been breastfeeding her since she was born. I work at home, so that I can take care of her. Working at home with a baby is not easy. I’ve veen very busy and stressed out these days. A few days ago, my friend told me that breastfeeding when mommy’s stressed out has bad influence on babies. What do you think? Have you heard of anything like this?

The only possible issue I have heard of is when you are stressed the letdown can be hampered. So unless that is an issue I would stick that comment in the ‘old wives tales’ basket.

emiliaj

Totally ridiculous. I know what she’s thinking of are some studies that show that when you’re stressed, stress hormones like cortisol are also present in your breast milk, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad for the baby and there’s no evidence that there are any negative long term affects. Of course, it’s nice for everyone (baby and you) if you can be calm, relaxed and happy, but obviously none of us can be in that state at all times. In fact, in times of stress, breastfeeding and can be a nice opportunity for both of you to relax and reconnect for a few minutes.

I’ve never heard anything of the sort and I wouldn’t personally hold any weight on it.

And so the alternative would be to feed the baby formula while still being stressed out? I’m not sure why this would be any better.

I have not heard that either and I have alot of experience nursing infants, toddlers, tandem nursing, and nursing twins. Stress can sometimes affect your supply, especially if you are not eating well or drinking enough.

I’d suggest a sling if you don’t have one. It will allow you to hold/cradle a fussy baby while being hands free. She can sleep in the sling and even nurse in it too while you get work done. [name]Hope[/name] that helps.

if breastfeeding while stressed is bad than i guess my breastmilk is pretty poisonous! I have a 3 month old and I was just a high stress personality to begin with and I’m pretty sure my baby is fine. I think this is an old-wives tale. That said, if breast feeding is raising your stress level than you should absolutely switch to formula.

[name]Just[/name] remember to eat a decent meal with protein in the middle of the day. You’ll avoid the fussy hour (sometime between 5 and 7) and it will be good for both of you. You don’t say where you are, but as the nice weather comes, a short walk will help relieve stress too.

I worked at home while breastfeeding and sometimes I was stressed because of work but things worked out okay. I used the park and the botanic gardens to help with work stress levels and did just fine.

Contact your local La Leche League if you want some advice & support. They helped me a great deal.

You are perfectly fine to feed your baby while stressed out. Who isn’t stressed out a little with a baby and work? I think your baby would be much worse off if you were to suddenly stop feeding them the way that they’ve known their whole life. I’ve heard the whole baby shouldn’t be fed if you’re stressed thing too and I think it’s crap. [name]Just[/name] a way to make you more stressed out!!!

That’s just nonsense in my opinion. If you have a little baby you are going to be stressed to some degree. I also suggest a baby carrier if you have a fussy baby. The Ergo will almost always put my baby to sleep when she’s tired but fighting sleep. You can nurse in it, though I haven’t had great luck nursing in it. My friend’s baby lives in her Ergo and nurses just fine in the Ergo. Maybe because I’m larger-breasted and she’s smaller-breasted?