question about honoring family

Should girls be named for female family members and boys be named for male fam members? Would it be strange to switch it?
for instance, would it be strange to name my daughter after my dad and brother? Or this one i think might be more strange- would it be weird to name a son after my sis in law?
Problem is. I like the variants of my dads name as for girls and my sis in laws maiden names are wonderful lil boys names and having a hard time fitting their first names in for a lil girl:/ so i was thinking of ditching both those ideas and going with my grandmothers flawless names [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name]…

Ideas d
for dad would be [name]Reagan[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name]
ideas for sis in laws- [name]Shepherd[/name], [name]Cole[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name]…great boys names!

Dh and i love name [name]Maisie[/name] right now. I think it really fits both of our naming styles…[name]Maisie[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]…what do you think?

I don’t think it’s strange to honor a male family member with a girl’s name or vice versa. Lots of boys carry their mothers’ maiden name as a first or middle name, etc. I’ve been thinking of using the boy name [name]Carl[/name] to honor a [name]Carla[/name].

I think [name]Maisie[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] is a very nice combo!

It is actually very traditional to name children after family members of the opposite sex.

Really? Great…i guess im just wondering if a little boy would be glad he was named after his aunts instead of his uncles