Question about the name Mira?

I really like the name [name_f]Mira[/name_f], but I have one concern:

It’s pronounced Meer-uh. Does it sound too much like “mirror” or is it different enough?

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!!

It sounds different enough to me.

My family has an Israeli friend with the name, it’s a great one.

I would pronounce [name_f]Mira[/name_f] meer-uh which sounds different enough to mirror.
But I suppose there’s the risk that it could be mispronunced as mirror. I think this is a risk worth taking though since it’s a nice name. Although if you’re worried about this, now that I’ve pointed it out, you could spell it [name_f]Meera[/name_f] instead as the pronunciation is clearer

I think it’s certainly distinct enough with an American accent, but it could be different if you’re [name_f]English[/name_f] or Australian, etc. [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, I do think it’s unmistakably a name. We keep a lot of homonyms separate in our minds, and this should be no different. So I wouldn’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Mira[/name_f]!! Such a beautiful name. I would’ve never thought of mirror. Though, as a pp has said, it may be different in other accents. I don’t think it should stop you from using it though, it’s not a bad association or anything!

I think [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is a lovely name and not too close to mirror (I do have an American accent though).

Mira is distinct enough from mirror. It’s a beautiful and versatile name

Mira is a beautiful name - sweet, international, elegant! I don’t think it sounds like “mirror”. I had never made that association!

I don’t think of mirror at all, it’s a beautiful name!

I love [name_f]Mira[/name_f], I have two good friends with this name. [name_f]My[/name_f] best friend [name_f]Mira[/name_f] is named this because it’s short for MIRAcle.

I know a [name_f]Mira[/name_f] and have never made the association with mirror.

I’ve never thought of mirror before, and know a few Miras!