Question for all you Berries...

We’re expecting our first child in [name]September[/name] (a girl!) and we’re curious to know the most popular names everyone is seeing in your kids’ schools these days. It would be very helpful to know where you live and the age range of your kids. Thanks so much berries!

Congratulations! So I live in Connecticut in the NYC suburbs, and I have a 1 year old who goes to daycare, plus I teach toddlers and preschoolers (in an extremely affluent town.) The most popular girls names in the under-5 set around here are [name]Ava[/name], [name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lilly[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Emma[/name] (3 in one class!) [name]Keira[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name] (which is a name I find kind of dated, but I have 3 of them, also) [name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name], [name]Maddie[/name]/[name]Madeline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] and believe it or not, [name]Scarlet[/name]!

On the less popular end of things, I have a [name]Sailor[/name], a [name]Kensington[/name], a Saffon (nn Saffy) an [name]Estella[/name], a [name]Chase[/name] and an [name]Elliot[/name] (both girls) a [name]Marlena[/name] and an [name]Allegra[/name].

Thanks so much! So helpful! We are in NYC and this is exactly the kind of info we are looking for. [name]Ava[/name] is a name my hubby and I really like but we were afraid it was too popular. I feel like every day I hear parents on the UES call out to little [name]Ava[/name], [name]Lilly[/name], [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Maddie[/name]. I have always liked [name]Charlotte[/name] and I keep going back to [name]Scarlett[/name] - not surprised that it has become so popular as well. We’d ideally like our daughter not to have the same name as three other girls in her class.

We’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Thanks!

In my extended friendship group (in Australia) I have (all under 4):
[name]Bella[/name] (2 of those!), [name]Tayla[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Crystal[/name]

[name]Ava[/name] couldnt be more popular! My friend just named her baby [name]Bayla[/name] and I love it! I am having my third boy but if it was a girl there was a good chance it was going to be [name]Soleil[/name].

I’m from Toronto [name]Canada[/name] area…

Popular names I’ve seen are

1. [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Liliana[/name] or some version of [name]Lily[/name]. I know 6 girls under the age of 2 with that name
  2. [name]Abigale[/name]
  3. [name]Sofia[/name]
  4. [name]Ava[/name]
  5. [name]Grace[/name]. This is also a very popular middle name.

I lived in NY when I had my son - only this was Buffalo, not NYC. I taught at a daycare, middle class families for the most part. I had several little girls named [name]Emily[/name], an [name]Ava[/name], a [name]Taylor[/name], an [name]Ashley[/name], a [name]Colleen[/name], 3 Sarahs between the 3 younger groups, a [name]Madison[/name], a [name]Madilyn[/name], a [name]Piper[/name] and a [name]Mallory[/name]. I think there might also have been a [name]Claire[/name]. These were all toddlers, so they’re probably 3-4 now.

For boys, it was kind of everywhere, my son is [name]Caleb[/name], and he was the only one in the center. We had an [name]Anthony[/name] and a [name]Chase[/name] and I think the little boy in his class was [name]William[/name].

Now I live in central [name]Virginia[/name] and the styles are a lot more varied - I live in a town with several more expensive universities, but the population ranges from very wealthy, down to lower middle class. I have met several Liams, Aidans and the like for boys. For girls, my neighbors are [name]Rhiana[/name] and [name]London[/name], I have also met several Ellas, Emmas and Emilys, a couple of Olivias and a few Sarahs. I prefer to ride the bus around town and you can hear everything from [name]Akyla[/name] to [name]Sarah[/name] on the same trip, it’s just a very mixed group where I’m from.

I am near [name]Houston[/name], [name]Texas[/name]. My daughter is 3 and I teach preschool.
It’s all about [name]Ava[/name], [name]Sophia[/name]/e, [name]Isabelle[/name]/a, [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lila[/name], [name]Julia[/name], and [name]Caroline[/name] around here.
For boys, I hear [name]Henry[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Jackson[/name], and [name]Caden[/name] a lot.

I live in [name]Alberta[/name], canada. I run a home daycare and these are the kids I have right now.

GIRLS
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Lace[/name]
[name]Mackena[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Jorja[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Charlie[/name]

BOYS
[name]Kodiak[/name]
[name]Zander[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Bronson[/name]

Kids in our neighbourhood
GIRLS
[name]Rylee[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Mackenzie[/name]

BOYS
[name]Isiah[/name]
[name]Brandon[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Jamie[/name]
[name]Curtis[/name]
[name]Hunter[/name]
Decklyn

Crazy but no doubles at all!! I have had 2 david’s and 2 [name]Wyatt[/name]'s in my daycare previously though.

I live in Upstate New [name]York[/name] and these are the names I’m seeing on kids under 5:
[name]Maddie[/name] (both Madisons and Madelines. Everytime we’re at the play ground we meet at least one girl with this name.)
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Alana[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Jayden[/name]

[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name] (I know a few boys with this name)
[name]William[/name]
[name]Aiden[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Aiden[/name]

In my friend set (across [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]), under the age of 2 I know
[name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] (2)
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Lyla[/name] (2)
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]

I live in the St. [name]Louis[/name] area. These are the youngsters I’ve met lately through friends and family. They are all under the age of three.

Boys:
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Ricky[/name]
[name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Jaxon[/name]
[name]Titus[/name]
[name]Christian[/name]
[name]Carter[/name] x 2
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] x 2
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Jayden[/name]
[name]Ashton[/name]

Girls:
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Maris[/name]
[name]Shirah[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Alaina[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Katelyn[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]

Live In NYC, but these are the names I know from family, friends children or work etc
(mainly NYC, [name]Florida[/name] and the UK )

Girls
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
Annea
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Phillipa[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

Boys
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Eliot[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]
[name]Foster[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Aiden[/name]
[name]Cruz[/name]

I have a little brother in DC, and there are at least five [name]Anna[/name]'s in his grade. Also, there are multiple [name]Grace[/name]'s, and three or four [name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Aidan[/name]/[name]Aidyn[/name]/[name]Aden[/name]'s

Those that I remember from his grade:

[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Manuel[/name]
[name]Flavia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Ashton[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Aaron[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]William[/name] ([name]Billy[/name])

Here in [name]Wales[/name] there are more Elishas/Alicias/Alishas/Elicias (All prn basically the same) than there are any other name. And it’s not a name I’m fond of either. In the 12-20 age range there are lots of [name]Jade[/name]'s, [name]Alex[/name]'s, [name]Hannah[/name]'s, [name]Lisa[/name]-[name]Marie[/name]'s, [name]Leah[/name]'s (prn both [name]Lay[/name]-ah and [name]Lee[/name]-ah) and [name]Kayleigh[/name]/[name]Kayley[/name]/[name]Kaylee[/name]'s.
[name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Paige[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Adele[/name], [name]Erin[/name], [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] are all also very popular from ages 0-16 or so.

I also live in an NYC suburb. My little brother is in preschool (we have huge age difference :lol: ) and here are names of his friends:

Girls:
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Stephanie[/name]
[name]Christina[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Rita[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name] x 2
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Ashley[/name]

Boys:
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name]
[name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Drew[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] ([name]Nate[/name])
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]

I also hear tons and tons of girls named [name]Lily[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name], [name]Isabel/name/[name]Isabella[/name], and [name]Madison[/name] running around.

Congrats on your baby girl! I live in the South (United States), and here are some of the names I’ve seen at my church and around town (so, around ages 0-7). I think this is all of them!

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lacey[/name]
[name]Lindsey[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] (my cousin in CO!)

[name]Aiden[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Tyler[/name]

I live in Chicago (city). My daughter is 3.5 years old and some of the girls in her preschool class are:

[name]Quinn[/name] (my daughter)
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Paige[/name] (two of them)
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Laila[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Alyssa[/name]
[name]Sloan[/name], [name]Campbell[/name], and [name]Hayden[/name] (triplets)

Other girls we know in the area are [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Katherine[/name] (3.5), [name]Lucy[/name] (1.5), [name]Josie[/name]/[name]Josephine[/name] (newborn), and [name]Piper[/name] (newborn- also my daughter!). I feel like there are always Charlottes, Olivias, and Sophies in her swim classes. Congrats on your daughter!

Here are the children of my circle of friends and family. Most of these people are from [name]Texas[/name] or live in [name]Texas[/name] now. All of these kids are under 6:
Girls:
[name]Elianna[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Carson[/name]
[name]Kaitlyn[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Alex[/name] (I think short for [name]Alexandra[/name]?)
[name]Royce[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maggie[/name])
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Mikaela[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Melody[/name]
[name]Ashlyn[/name]
[name]Callie[/name]
[name]Hayley[/name] (2)
[name]Kaylie[/name]
[name]Campbell[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]

Boys:
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Royal[/name]
[name]Alex[/name] (2)
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] (nn [name]Hank[/name])
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Hendrik[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Sean[/name]
[name]Tanner[/name]
[name]Campbell[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Christian[/name]
[name]Greyson[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Cale[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]

I live in [name]North[/name] [name]Jersey[/name] on a train line to NYC. (Most of the people I know moved here from the city.) In my daughters’ under-2 playgroups, gymnastics, and music classes there are:

[name]Eliana[/name] (nn [name]Ellie[/name])
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] (nn [name]Mimi[/name])
[name]Rylie[/name]
Rylin
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Leighton[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]
[name]Cori[/name] ([name]Corinne[/name])
[name]Erin[/name]

[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Kate[/name]

Friends across the U.S. (mostly [name]California[/name], NYC, and Chicago) have girls under age three named:
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name] (nn [name]Lia[/name])
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Kyra[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Kathryn[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this is helpful–and congratulations! :slight_smile: