Question for nephele

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Nephele[/name],
I am looking for a variation of [name]Myrtle[/name] that is usable today since no one seems to like [name]Myrtle[/name] much. I found Myrthe, the Dutch version (pronounced Meer-tu). [name]Do[/name] you have others?

I also found [name]Hadas[/name]/ [name]Hadassah[/name] which is Hebrew for [name]Myrtle[/name] tree. [name]Do[/name] you know of any others?

[name]Hadassah[/name] is a lovely substitute for [name]Myrtle[/name], and that would be my first choice.

For a name that looks like [name]Myrtle[/name] but means something different (although it’s still botanical), you might try: Myrtille (pronounced meer-[name]TEEL[/name]). That’s the French name for the blueberry.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

Thank you for responding , [name]Nephele[/name].

You’re very welcome. :slight_smile:

Here’s another for you: [name]Myrtilla[/name]. This is a Latin feminine diminutive of myrtus, the Latin word for the myrtle tree.

[name]How[/name]'s your botanical names list going? I love that list.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I hope you don’t mind, but I thought I’d bop in with some others. You’ve already mentioned [name]Hadassah[/name], the Hebrew name meaning “myrtle tree,” but here are some more:

[name]Myrilla[/name] - this is an American name meaning “myrtle tree,” very close to [name]Nephele[/name]'s last suggestion…

[name]Ester[/name] (Hebrew) and [name]Esther[/name] (Persian) both mean either “star” or “myrtle leaf”!

Thank you [name]Lemon[/name]. I am looking for alternatives to [name]Myrtle[/name] for my son and daughter-in-law who are expecting twins. [name]Myrtle[/name] was my great grandmother so ifd either of the twins are girls, it would be to honor their great great grandmother.

[name]Nephele[/name],
I bumped up my complete list of botanical names to the first post of thread as you suggested but i haven’t gotten around to scanning your flower fairy posts yet to add foreign versions usable as first or middle names. hope to get to it soon.

Here’s another idea for you: In the Language of Flowers, the myrtle symbolizes love, and the myrtle was also sacred to the goddess of love ([name]Aphrodite[/name] in Greece and [name]Venus[/name] in [name]Rome[/name]). So perhaps names that mean “love” might prove a substitute for [name]Myrtle[/name] that holds significance for you and your great grandmother’s memory?

– [name]Nephele[/name]