Question for Pamela and Linda...

Bible [name]Baby[/name] Names: Most Popular

[name]Just[/name] a question…Why is “[name]Elizabeth[/name]” not included on the Bible [name]Baby[/name] Names: Most Popular
list? Hasn’t [name]Elizabeth[/name] been a Biblical name that has consistently been used throughout history? I believe it ranked #10 in the 2007 Social Security list of Top 100 [name]Baby[/name] Names.

They said in their blog once that [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]John[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] aren’t counted as Bible names because they have been so popular for so long. They’re used for family, not religious reasons now.

I count [name]John[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] as bible names. In my family we have a little tradition going that one of our names is a bible name. Mine is [name]Susan[/name] and I used to have [name]Deborah[/name], too, my sister is [name]Kathleen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] ([name]Elizabeth[/name] is a bible name), my mom’s is [name]Helen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], my brother’s was [name]Timothy[/name] (bible name) [name]Warren[/name], my husband’s is [name]Kent[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] (bible name), my son’s is [name]Peter[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name], my daughter’s is [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], and even our cat is [name]Moses[/name] [name]Malone[/name]. Our dog has the name [name]Anne[/name] in her name [name]Roxanne[/name]. Whenever I think of names for my own children, although I’m not going to have any more, I always put a bible name in there-usually either [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] for a girl or [name]Grace[/name] which is what [name]Anne[/name] means, or [name]Andrew[/name] for a boy. [name]Anne[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and [name]Andrew[/name] are all family names, too. My father [name]Kenneth[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] didn’t have a bible name. He got left out! [name]Even[/name] my niece and my cousin [name]Ann[/name]'s two children have names from the bible - [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Jane[/name] (feminine for [name]John[/name]), and [name]Rebecca[/name] is [name]Julia[/name]'s middle name. I think even [name]Julia[/name] is a bible name. My sister is an Episcopal priest, so she is way into the name [name]Rebecca[/name]. All of my first cousins on my dad’s side of the family have at least one name from the bible. There’s [name]Ann[/name], [name]Jean[/name] (feminine for [name]John[/name]), [name]Peter[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Philip[/name], and [name]Karen[/name] [name]Annette[/name]! Now you know one reason I love Greek and Hebrew names so much.

Very interesting! I consider [name]Elizabeth[/name] a Biblical name, too. I know several babies named [name]Elizabeth[/name] because of its meaning “Pledged to God”.

I had not read this. Thanks!

[name]Elizabeth[/name] is definitely one of those names that is on the line: While it IS of course a biblical name, it’s also a royal name, a fashionable classic and so on. Many of the Hot Lists, as you extremely observant nameberry fans have no doubt noticed, are far from all-inclusive and are just meant to be a sampling.

I understand. Thank you, [name]Pamela[/name]!