Question from a friend...

Another nn that might work would be [name]Tandy[/name] (like the actress [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Tandy[/name]).

In the same vein as Thankful, I recently came across a woman with the name Blessing. It reminds me of [name]Bliss[/name] or [name]Blythe[/name] or [name]Bessie[/name], but with the added significance of gratitude.

I still love Thanful, especially with the nn [name]Annie[/name], but I also like [name]Thandie[/name]. I’m glad you are getting so many more positive responses!

While [name]Mercy[/name] is very sweet, I much prefer Thankful. [name]Mercy[/name] makes me think of a pathetic little creature, crying for mercy, whereas I find Thankful so much more positive.

I don’t think she will have many problems upon introducing her, as she can always use her nn, and I doubt that, unless she has the air of an evangelical, people will think she is actually randomly proclaiming herself thankful!

Good luck!

I keep thinking of [name]Marianne[/name] Faithful the singer.

OK, I like your friend’s naming style. I think [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Remember[/name] are cute, I see her inspiration … BUT I think it would be a mistake to use the name Thankful.

As much as she loves early American history, she still needs to remember that these kids have to deal with the modern schoolyard and modern careers. Because we have kids named Blessings, Memory, etc., I can see the name [name]Remember[/name] fitting in okay. [name]Prudence[/name] (with the adorable NN [name]Prue[/name]) sounds sweetly vintage rather than simply way out of date. But the name Thankful sounds just ancient. It definitely sounds like a Pilgrim name (ie, not sweetly vintage). It’s just plain out there, so to speak. As much as I think Thankful fits really well with [name]Meg[/name]‘s other kids’ names, I think a little Thankful might not grow up to be so thankful about her name. I would not enjoy being saddled with that name, personally.

[name]How[/name] about the name [name]Mehitabel[/name] (NN [name]Mittie[/name] or [name]Bel[/name])? I could see that one being okay with the cute NNs and the [name]Belle[/name]- naming trend. I think she can find a better name than Thankful or [name]Temperance[/name] or [name]Verity[/name] that still fits with her style.

P.S. If I met a Thankful, I would probably guess that the person comes from a very religious family. [name]Just[/name] an FYI to add to my above comments.

I agree with the pp – if I met someone named Thankful [name]Doyle[/name], I think the first thing I’d assume is that she’s either Amish or a Mennonite. Not that that’s a bad thing, but something to consider…

On the plus side, it works well with the other names!

To those of you questioning this name, I see your points - loud and clear. These are the same thoughts I had when [name]Meg[/name] first told me about the name! But, from what I gather from the [name]Doyle[/name]'s, the baby would be known by her nickname primarily, as [name]Prue[/name] and [name]Remy[/name] are, but her family and those close to her would know her as Thankful. Does that outweigh it?

[name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] are not overly religious. I mean, they go to Church on occasion, but I certainly don’t think it is a defining feature of their lives. So, is Thankful too religious and too much a throwback to the past? Or, is it refreshing and cute?

What gets me is that it works so very well with [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Remember[/name], and [name]Prue[/name] loves the name - she picked it out! And, either [name]Annie[/name] or [name]Thandie[/name] would be cute nicknames…

Another thing - [name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] aren’t really feeling [name]Mercy[/name] anymore. That comment about begging for mercy really got them, and they don’t see it being as cute and wonderful as [name]Prue[/name] and [name]Remy[/name].

Here are some I am considering mentioning to [name]Meg[/name]. Can you comment on these and tell me which ones I should offer as possible alternatives - should they decide not to go with their first choice - to Thankful?

[name]Amity[/name]
Desire
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Increase[/name]

Yes, [name]Increase[/name] in particular is pretty out-there, but I thought [name]Reese[/name] could be a cute nickname. Am I taking this too far? I just want [name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] to find the perfect name for this baby - due in February!

Possible middle names include [name]Marianne[/name] (for [name]Patrick[/name]'s mom), [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] (after [name]Meg[/name]), and [name]Susannah[/name]. Again, last name is [name]Doyle[/name].

Sorry for the long one, girls. :-/

[name]Even[/name] if their daughter mainly uses her NN, I still think they need to be happy with the full name since she may want to use it at some future time. It will, after all, be her true name. I don’t think a NN outweighs the drawbacks of the full name. Sorry.

So I would definitely veto [name]Increase[/name] and Desire. [name]Increase[/name] is just too weird (& made for teasing, esp if she is ever a bit chubby). Desire will just make everyone think of sexual desire–at least, I think that will come to mind for a lot of people. So NO, NO on those. They are even worse than Thankful, [name]IMO[/name].

[name]Amity[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name] are both cute, but a bit more common than their other daughters’ names (though for me, they are still uncommon enough that this would not be a deterrent for me).

A few others …

[name]Mehitabel[/name] (NN [name]Mittie[/name] or [name]Bel[/name]).
[name]Hephzibah[/name] (NN Hepsie)
[name]Priscilla[/name] (NN [name]Cilla[/name], Cee-cee)
[name]Susannah[/name] (NN [name]Annie[/name])
[name]Jerusha[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Jael[/name]
[name]Love[/name] (NN [name]Lovie[/name]) – virtue
[name]Concord[/name] (NN [name]Connie[/name]) – virtue
[name]Patience[/name] – also a virtue name like other kids’ names (perhaps too much with [name]Prudence[/name])
[name]Clemency[/name] – ditto
[name]Comfort[/name] – ditto
Troth/[name]Truth[/name] – ditto
[name]Alethea[/name] – means truth
[name]Delight[/name]
[name]Clarity[/name]

If [name]Meg[/name] & [name]Patrick[/name] want [name]Prue[/name] to help in choosing their next daughter’s name, then I would get her reading lots of books set in that period. “The Witch of Blackbird Pond” comes to mind as a great book, but I’m sure there are many others. That way [name]Prue[/name] can make a list of her discoveries.

I think [name]Increase[/name] and Desire are awful, for the reasons [name]Deirdre[/name] mentioned. [name]Felicity[/name] and [name]Amity[/name] are very nice, though. I really like the suggestion of [name]Clarity[/name], and it comes with the great nicknames [name]Clare[/name] or [name]Clary[/name]. What about [name]Constance[/name]? I think that fits in the sibset-- [name]Prue[/name], [name]Remy[/name], and [name]Connie[/name]. Thankful just doesn’t seem like a name to me.

[name]Clarity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Clarity[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Constance[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Constance[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]

Okay, so [name]Increase[/name] and Desire are out.

[name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] don’t have any problem with the name Thankful, but they worry, as many of you do, that others might. It isn’t necessary that [name]Prue[/name] is involved in the naming of this baby; it just so happened that she stumbled upon this name…

Okay, so in “The Witch of Blackbird Pond,” there is a character named [name]Prudence[/name] and the name most similar in style in the book is [name]Mercy[/name]. There is also a [name]Mercy[/name] in “The Crucible,” a play about the Puritans. Maybe [name]Mercy[/name] should be added to the list again?

I like [name]Felicity[/name] a lot with [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Remember[/name], but I worry it is too “normal” compared to [name]Prue[/name] and [name]Remy[/name]'s names. What are your thoughts? I plan to talk to [name]Meg[/name] again tomorrow.

I’m relieved that [name]Increase[/name] and Desire are off the list! Phew! I love [name]Felicity[/name]! It’s definitely more popular and well known than the other girls’ names, but I still think it works. (I love the potential Fliss and [name]Flossie[/name] nicknames, too.) I can also see [name]Amity[/name] working.

If [name]Madonna[/name] hadn’t adopted her little [name]Mercy[/name], I’d think [name]Mercy[/name] was a perfect choice, but I’m thinking there’s a good chance that [name]Mercy[/name] is going to become very popular now…Hmm…

Whatever they choose, best of luck to them! :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]! Those are my sentiments with [name]Mercy[/name] exactly…

I’m glad I’m not naming a little one right now! [name]Just[/name] helping [name]Meg[/name] is ridiculously difficult, so I couldn’t imagine making the final decision. Ha!

My thing with [name]Amity[/name] is that it reminds me of Amityville Horror, which isn’t good. I think that if they like [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] would be pretty, and then Thankful [name]Marianne[/name].

I’m curious to hear what [name]Pam[/name] or [name]Linda[/name] would think of Thankful - or any of the others discussed here. Not that you ladies aren’t doing a swell job - you all have given me such great comments for the [name]Doyle[/name]'s!

I like [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Mercedes[/name] better than just [name]Mercy[/name].

I like [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] I think they work a treat together.

[name]Felicity[/name] is a lovely name and with a great meaning too but she could become [name]Felicia[/name].

[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Hope[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Honora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (Happiness and [name]Joy[/name] meaning)

[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Lavinia[/name] love the nn of [name]Vin[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Letitia[/name] (Joyous) nn [name]Letty[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Gloria[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] nn [name]Eva[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Epiphany[/name] nn [name]Pip[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Fidella[/name] nn [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Roberta[/name] nn [name]Robbie[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Madge[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Zoe[/name] (Life)

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]! Those are my sentiments with [name]Mercy[/name] exactly…

I’m glad I’m not naming a little one right now! [name]Just[/name] helping [name]Meg[/name] is ridiculously difficult, so I couldn’t imagine making the final decision. Ha!

My thing with [name]Amity[/name] is that it reminds me of Amityville Horror, which isn’t good. I think that if they like [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] would be pretty, and then Thankful [name]Marianne[/name].

I’m curious to hear what [name]Pam[/name] or [name]Linda[/name] would think of Thankful - or any of the others discussed here. Not that you ladies aren’t doing a swell job - you all have given me such great comments for the [name]Doyle[/name]'s![/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] again…I agree about [name]Amity[/name]…I can’t help but think of the Amityville Horror.

[name]Felicity[/name] is one of my all-time favorite names, and I really love [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name]! :slight_smile: I’d love to be named [name]Felicity[/name], but in all honesty, I don’t think I’d personally be happy being named Thankful and introducing myself to people saying, “[name]Hi[/name]. I’m Thankful.”

(I think the [name]Thandie[/name] idea is really cute, but because I think of [name]Thandie[/name] [name]Newton[/name], [name]Thandie[/name] feels totally different to me than [name]Remy[/name] or [name]Pru[/name]. [name]Remy[/name] and [name]Pru[/name] still feel like they can totally rock the 1600s, but [name]Thandie[/name] feels very present tense to me.)

Take care! :slight_smile:

I think I found another good one for you to suggest

Hopestill (NN [name]Hope[/name])

A real Puritan name, as found in
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr06/rr06_488.htm
http://kinnexions.com/smlawson/wood.htm

I’m not a fan of [name]Mercy[/name]. It sounds like the name of a Catholic High School.

No, please don’t let them do this.
I have to chime in and say that Thankful is definitely not working for me. It honestly has less to do about the “out there” quality and more to do with the sounds in the word. [name]Remember[/name] is a soft word, smooth sounds and easily flows out of the mouth. Thankful is harsh to my ears, reminds me of “hank” and just does not work in my mind.
I would consider (apologies for repeats)
Hopeful (nn [name]Hope[/name])
[name]Victory[/name] (nn [name]Tory[/name])
[name]Honesty[/name] (nn Nesty/[name]Nessie[/name])
[name]Truth[/name] (I know that [name]True[/name] as a nn would be too close to [name]Prue[/name], but I think [name]Truly[/name] is an ADORABLE nickname)

Oh, and by the way…in searching for alternatives I found a few lists of puritan names. The winner by FAR is this one, called a “slogan” name.

If-[name]Christ[/name]-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-d@mned

TobysMommy, that name is hilarious! Wow!

So, it seems that the tides are turning on the name Thankful. Does [name]Felicity[/name] work well with [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Remember[/name]? Or, should I re-suggest [name]Verity[/name]? [name]Verity[/name], [name]Prudence[/name], and [name]Remember[/name] are all listed on the Colonial Names for Girls list here on Nameberry. Another one on the list that I like is [name]Cornelia[/name], but I honestly think [name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] wouldn’t like it with [name]Prue[/name] and [name]Remy[/name]'s names. I just love the [name]Nell[/name] nickname!

Thankful [name]Marianne[/name] [name]Doyle[/name] - [name]Annie[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Doyle[/name] - Lissy (Fliss reminds [name]Remy[/name] of dental floss.)
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Doyle[/name] - [name]Vera[/name]

[name]Cornelia[/name] [name]Marianne[/name] [name]Doyle[/name] - [name]Nell[/name]

With [name]Prudence[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] - [name]Prue[/name] - and [name]Remember[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] - [name]Remy[/name].

I do like [name]Felicity[/name], and Lissy is a really cute nickname.
It also occurs to me that Truthful is pretty close to Thankful, and [name]Truly[/name] would still work for it.

So, I realise I’m late to this discussion, but it’s such a wonderful discussion I just have to jump in with all my thoughts!!

I think my only problem with Thankful is that she has that hard ‘k’ sound in the middle and thus sounds less melodious than both [name]Remember[/name] and [name]Prudence[/name]. There’s also something about the -ence and the -er ending that sounds more name-y to me than -ul or -ful. Also, Thankful can easily be divided in two to make two independent words, thank and full, which also kind of bugs me since neither [name]Remember[/name] nor [name]Prudence[/name] have the same structure…

That said, the name ringing in the back of my head is more similar to Thankful than the other two: Loveday. I [name]LOVE[/name] Loveday, and would be delighted to meet sisters named [name]Prudence[/name], [name]Remember[/name] and Loveday! I think it’s the perfect name for the sibset in the sense that it doesn’t leave [name]Remember[/name] alone with a super unusual name like [name]Felicity[/name] would. (Let’s face it, [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name] are considered normal names by most whereas [name]Remember[/name] isn’t…)

That said, I have some more suggestions as well:
[name]How[/name] do they feel about [name]Comfort[/name]? I love [name]Comfort[/name], but would never be brave enough to use it, something tells me they would and that it would be awesome!!
Also [name]Clemency[/name], which isn’t too similar to [name]Prudence[/name] as [name]Patience[/name] or [name]Temperance[/name] would be. Added bonus is the offbeat nickname [name]Clem[/name] which I think would be awesome with [name]Remy[/name] and [name]Prue[/name]!
I’d also like to suggest [name]Winsome[/name], an awesome old style name that would almost be as good as Loveday in this sibset! [name]Lovely[/name], [name]Lovely[/name] name!!
[name]Unity[/name] is also lovely, I know there’s a WWII connection, but the name itself is Magnificent!!
[name]Evening[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name] is one of my favourite word names, should be suggested to them along with [name]Morning[/name], [name]Afternoon[/name] and [name]Vesper[/name], although [name]Evening[/name] is my favourite!
[name]Marvel[/name] is a somewhat dated name, but it’s lovely still, and carries a connection to [name]Meg[/name] in the [name]Mar[/name]- beginning. The nickname [name]Elle[/name] would be lovely!
[name]Halcyon[/name] is quite different from all my other suggestions, but I have a feeling they might like it… It’s a lovely unusual name!
Also thought of [name]Gardenia[/name], but not as strongly as the other suggestions.
Have they considered [name]Blythe[/name]/[name]Blithe[/name]? I think you should mention it to them!

I think [name]Felicity[/name] sounds too ‘normal’ to fit with the sibset, but a variation or something similar that’s more unusual would be amazing, like [name]Felixa[/name]/[name]Felixia[/name] which was my first thought. I love [name]Felixa[/name]! Also [name]Fidelity[/name]/[name]Fidelia[/name] which are both awesome and more unusual than [name]Felicity[/name]/[name]Felicia[/name]. I also always think of [name]Sonora[/name] with these names, because she reminds me of sound which I think is great. [name]Feliciana[/name] is another option, but I don’t like her all that much, she’s very frilly next to [name]Remember[/name] and [name]Prudence[/name]…

Of other people’s suggestions, I’m loving these with [name]Remy[/name] and [name]Prue[/name]:
[name]Gloria[/name] (or [name]Glory[/name], nickname Glow :P)
[name]Epiphany[/name] (nn [name]Pip[/name] is adorable!)
[name]Fidella[/name] (But would much prefer [name]Fidelia[/name]!)
Hopestill/Hopeful (very sweet!)
[name]Victory[/name] (I feel they should save this for a future boy!!)
[name]Concord[/name] (This is one of my favourite BOY names ever, but I don’t like it for a girl in this sibset)
[name]Honesty[/name] ([name]Lovely[/name], with the nickname [name]Honey[/name] or [name]Nessie[/name])
Blessing (so joy-filled, very much like Thankful)
[name]Clarity[/name] (awesome virtue name!!)
[name]Verity[/name] (it is lovely, I think you should definitely re-suggest it!)
[name]Delight[/name] (you can think of this as dirty and it sounds bad, but I think it’s lovely!!! The sound, the meaning, everything!!)

I also think an old (read: ancient) underused greek-ish name would fit in. Looking through my list these ones really stand out:
[name]Cressida[/name] (nn Cress/[name]Cressie[/name])
[name]Timea[/name] (nn [name]Tim[/name]/[name]Timmie[/name])
[name]Seraphine[/name] (not [name]Seraphina[/name], she’d be too frilly)
Roswitha (nn [name]Rosie[/name])
[name]Phaedra[/name] (nn [name]Fay[/name])
[name]Leontine[/name] (nn [name]Leo[/name], which is odd but nice-odd)
[name]Junia[/name] (nn [name]June[/name])
[name]Ismay[/name] (nn [name]Isa[/name] or [name]May[/name])
Fairamay (nn [name]Fay[/name] or [name]May[/name])
[name]Dulcia[/name] (nn [name]Cia[/name])
[name]Cybele[/name] (nn [name]Bell[/name])
[name]Cosima[/name] (nn Cosy)
Chryseis (nn Eis, not [name]Chris[/name] which would be terrible)
[name]Bethia[/name] (nn [name]Beth[/name])
[name]Amadea[/name] (nn [name]Amy[/name])
[name]Amabel[/name] (nn [name]Bell[/name] or [name]Amy[/name])
[name]Alura[/name] (nn [name]Allie[/name])
[name]Alethea[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Allie[/name])
Alifair (nn [name]Allie[/name])
[name]Honoria[/name] (nn [name]Honey[/name])
[name]Jocasta[/name] (nn [name]Joey[/name])
[name]Aurinda[/name] (nn [name]Aura[/name]?)
[name]Rowena[/name] (nn [name]Ro[/name] or [name]Ina[/name])
[name]Apollonia[/name]/[name]Apolline[/name] (nn [name]Apple[/name])
[name]Flavia[/name] (nn ?)
[name]Ambrosia[/name] (nn [name]Rosie[/name])
[name]Idonea[/name]/[name]Idony[/name] (nn [name]Ida[/name])
[name]Lucasta[/name] (nn [name]Lucy[/name]?)
[name]Fortuna[/name] (nn [name]Una[/name]?)
[name]Jessamy[/name] (nn [name]Jess[/name])
[name]Calliope[/name] (nn [name]Callie[/name])
[name]Delicia[/name] (nn [name]Del[/name])
[name]Phyllida[/name] (nn [name]Lida[/name])
[name]Mirren[/name] (nn [name]Mira[/name])
[name]Meriall[/name] (nn [name]Merry[/name])
[name]Amica[/name] (nn [name]Amy[/name])
[name]Aurelia[/name] (nn [name]Goldie[/name] or [name]Lia[/name], it means ‘golden’)
[name]Columba[/name] (nn ??, I love it!)
Ysabeau (nn Ysa/[name]Isa[/name] or [name]Beau[/name])
[name]Mirabeau[/name] (nn [name]Mira[/name] or [name]Beau[/name]

Also, my search found some more word names to consider:
[name]Promise[/name]
[name]Answer[/name] (nn [name]Annie[/name]!)
Wish

Give [name]Patrick[/name] and [name]Meg[/name] my best, and tell them I love [name]Remember[/name] and [name]Prudence[/name], I’m just not convinced Thankful is the best name for their sister… ^^
This is a wonderful naming style to be working with!! :smiley: